How to make thick line error bar for plot

In summary, the conversation revolves around the difficulty of replicating the error bars shown in Figure 4 on page 15 of a paper linked to by one of the speakers. The speaker mentions that they have tried to recreate the error bars in Excel but have been unable to achieve the desired result. They ask for suggestions on how to achieve similar error bars and are given instructions on how to do so in Excel.
skate_nerd
Disclaimer: I'm not exactly sure that this topic would belong in this thread but I don't think it would fit better anywhere else.

I'm working on writing a paper for my grad research project and my PI wants me to model the plots after another paper that our lab published in the past, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how they got such nice looking error bars in their paper.

Here's a link to the pdf for that paper: http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1308/1308.3039.pdf
The plot I'm referring to with the nice error bars is Figure 4 on page 15. The error bars are shown as a thick transparent line behind each curve. I was trying to see if excel has any way of doing something like that, which would be most convenient because I already have all of my data in an excel file, and it's a crapload of data. I get the feeling though, that they may have done it in Matlab, but if they did I would have no idea how to do that. I'm not much of a Matlab wiz to be honest.

If anybody has any ideas that would be really helpful! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The error bars on Excel do not look like the error bars the the paper you linked to, but this is how you can do it:

click chart >> chart tools >> design >> add chart element >> error bars

Under "more bar options" you can make it look the way you want.

1. How do I make thick line error bars for a plot?

To make thick line error bars for a plot, you can adjust the thickness of the error bars by changing the linewidth parameter in your plot function. For example, in Matplotlib, you can specify the linewidth for error bars by adding the "markeredgewidth" parameter to your plot function. In R, you can use the "lwd" parameter to adjust the line width of your error bars.

2. Can I customize the color of the error bars?

Yes, you can customize the color of the error bars by using the "color" or "c" parameter in your plot function. In Matplotlib, you can specify the color of the error bars by adding the "ecolor" parameter. In R, you can use the "col" parameter to change the color of your error bars.

3. How do I add error bars to my plot?

To add error bars to your plot, you can use the "errorbar" function in Matplotlib or the "plot" function in R. These functions allow you to specify the error bar values and other parameters such as line thickness and color.

4. Can I make different error bar styles for different data points?

Yes, you can specify different error bar styles for different data points by using the "fmt" parameter in your plot function. In Matplotlib, you can use the "fmt" parameter to specify different line styles, such as solid, dashed, or dotted, for your error bars. In R, you can use the "lty" parameter to specify different line types for your error bars.

5. How do I change the length of the error bars?

To change the length of the error bars, you can adjust the error bar values that you pass into your plot function. For example, in Matplotlib, you can specify the error bar length by adding the "xerr" or "yerr" parameter to your plot function. In R, you can use the "x" or "y" parameter to specify the error bar length for your data points.