How to measure fluorescence intensity time trace?

In summary, the excitation wavelength is not as important as the fluorophore's extinction coefficient, and it can be chosen based on the highest absorbance peak of the fluorophore. The emitted wavelength being measured is typically the one with the highest emission, but for specific applications, a different wavelength may be chosen to minimize crosstalk from other fluorophores.
Yinxiao Li
I understand that fluorescence intensity time trace is constantly monitor the fluorescence intensity and plot it over time. But the question is at which excitation wavelength? Also, what is the emitted wavelength that is being measured? I suppose it should be two particular wavelengths, but how is the wavelength selected?

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
The excitation wavelength does not matter so much as long as the fluorophore's extinction coefficient in that region is reasonable. You could take an absorbance spectrum of your fluorophore, and excite at the wavelength with the highest absorbance as long as there is reasonable separation between that wavelength and the wavelength at which you're monitoring emission.

Ygggdrasil said:
The excitation wavelength does not matter so much as long as the fluorophore's extinction coefficient in that region is reasonable. You could take an absorbance spectrum of your fluorophore, and excite at the wavelength with the highest absorbance as long as there is reasonable separation between that wavelength and the wavelength at which you're monitoring emission.

Your answer is very helpful..But--Sorry I missed the part of emitted wavelength...I just changed the question. The extra question is what is the emitted wavelength being measured? The fluorescence intensity should be measured under one particular emitted wavelength, right?

Sorry that this is a simple question...

Usually you would measure the emission spectrum of the fluorophore you're using, then choose the wavelength that shows the highest emission. However, for certain applications (e.g. measuring FRET), you might choose a different wavelength to minimize crosstalk from other fluorophores in your sample.

1. How do I set up my equipment to measure fluorescence intensity time trace?

To measure fluorescence intensity time trace, you will need a light source, a fluorescence detector, and a data acquisition system. The light source should be directed at your sample, and the emitted fluorescence should be detected by the detector. The data acquisition system will record the intensity of the fluorescence over time. Make sure to set up your equipment in a dark room to minimize background interference.

2. What is the best way to prepare my sample for measuring fluorescence intensity time trace?

Your sample should be prepared in a way that maximizes the fluorescence signal and minimizes background interference. This may include using a fluorescent dye, choosing the appropriate excitation wavelength, and optimizing the concentration of your sample. Additionally, make sure that your sample is in a stable environment and is not exposed to any external light sources.

3. How should I analyze my data from measuring fluorescence intensity time trace?

The data from measuring fluorescence intensity time trace can be analyzed in several ways, depending on the specific experiment. One common method is to plot the fluorescence intensity over time and look for changes or patterns. You can also calculate the average intensity or measure the intensity at specific time points. Other more advanced methods, such as fluorescence lifetime analysis, can also be used.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of measuring fluorescence intensity time trace?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of measuring fluorescence intensity time trace. These include fluctuations in the light source, photobleaching of the sample, and background interference. To minimize these effects, it is crucial to use stable equipment, optimize your sample preparation, and perform experiments in a controlled environment.

5. Can fluorescence intensity time trace be used to measure the kinetics of a reaction?

Yes, fluorescence intensity time trace can be used to measure the kinetics of a reaction. By monitoring changes in fluorescence intensity over time, you can determine the rate of a reaction and the order of the reaction. This is particularly useful in biochemical and enzymatic studies, where changes in fluorescence can indicate the presence of a specific substrate or product.