How to minimize the cost of a silo

• Thread starter Karol
  • Start date
CAREFUL!In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to minimize the cost of constructing a hemisphere by finding the minimum value of its surface area. However, the summary notes that the approach taken is incorrect as it does not consider the cost per surface area and there are also errors in the algebraic calculations. The use of Lagrange multipliers is also suggested as a possible alternative approach.
Karol

Homework Statement

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Homework Equations

Maxima/minima are where the first derivative is 0
Volue of a hemisphere: ##~\displaystyle V=\frac{2}{3}\pi r^3##
Area of a hemisphere: ##~\displaystyle A=2\pi r^2##

The Attempt at a Solution

$$A=2\pi rh+2\pi r^2=2\pi[h+r],~~V=\pi r^2h+\frac{2}{3}\pi r^3~\rightarrow~h=\frac{2r}{3}-\frac{V}{\pi r^2}$$
$$A=2\pi r\left[ \frac{2r}{3}-\frac{V}{\pi r^2}+r \right]=2\pi r\left[ \frac{5}{3}r-\frac{V}{\pi r^2} \right]$$
$$A'=2\pi \left[ \frac{5}{3}r-\frac{V}{\pi r^2}+r\left( \frac{5}{3}+\frac{2V}{\pi}r^{-3}\right)\right]$$
$$A'=0:~2\pi\left[ \frac{10}{3}r-\frac{V}{\pi r^2}+\frac{2V}{\pi r^3}\right]=0$$
$$2\pi\left[ \frac{10\pi r^3-3Vr+6V}{3\pi r^3} \right]=0$$
$$\Rightarrow~10\pi r^3=3V(r-2)$$
I express V in terms of ##~\xi=\frac{h}{r}~##:
$$V=\pi r^3\xi+\frac{2}{3}\pi r^3$$
$$10\pi r^3=3\left[ \pi r^3\xi+\frac{2}{3}\pi r^3 \right](r-2)$$
Blocked end

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 382
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    3.6 KB · Views: 338
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 739
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    3.6 KB · Views: 761
Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, you are not taking into account that the hemisphere costs more per surface area to construct than the cylinder. You are just computing the surface area.

Second, you have made an arithmetic error somewhere because your dimensions do not match.

Karol said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 222141
View attachment 222142

Homework Equations

Maxima/minima are where the first derivative is 0
Volue of a hemisphere: ##~\displaystyle V=\frac{2}{3}\pi r^3##
Area of a hemisphere: ##~\displaystyle A=2\pi r^2##

The Attempt at a Solution

$$A=2\pi rh+2\pi r^2=2\pi[h+r],~~V=\pi r^2h+\frac{2}{3}\pi r^3~\rightarrow~h=\frac{2r}{3}-\frac{V}{\pi r^2}$$
$$A=2\pi r\left[ \frac{2r}{3}-\frac{V}{\pi r^2}+r \right]=2\pi r\left[ \frac{5}{3}r-\frac{V}{\pi r^2} \right]$$
$$A'=2\pi \left[ \frac{5}{3}r-\frac{V}{\pi r^2}+r\left( \frac{5}{3}+\frac{2V}{\pi}r^{-3}\right)\right]$$
$$A'=0:~2\pi\left[ \frac{10}{3}r-\frac{V}{\pi r^2}+\frac{2V}{\pi r^3}\right]=0$$
$$2\pi\left[ \frac{10\pi r^3-3Vr+6V}{3\pi r^3} \right]=0$$
$$\Rightarrow~10\pi r^3=3V(r-2)$$
I express V in terms of ##~\xi=\frac{h}{r}~##:
$$V=\pi r^3\xi+\frac{2}{3}\pi r^3$$
$$10\pi r^3=3\left[ \pi r^3\xi+\frac{2}{3}\pi r^3 \right](r-2)$$
Blocked end

There appears to be an error – omission of factor r - after your second = , maybe this is only transcription and does not carry through.

You are likely to get into confusion or mistakes by using the same symbols V and A each to represent two different things. I think you have already got incompatible equations in there. A mistake I think you have made before.

Then,I have not followed what you actually doing, but what you essentially say you are doing by A' is to minimise A the area (one of them) but the problem is to minimise the cost which is a different formula.

(May be some posting overlap here).

A good approach but there are two things to note :
1. You're not trying to minimize the area, you're minimizing cost. In a way, you're minimizing some "effective area" function.
2. Have you ever encountered Lagrange multipliers?

Also, as others mentioned, check the algebra, but if you do get a convoluted polynomial for r, there's no shame in using a computer to find its roots.

I denote the cost as C:
$$\text{[1]}~ C=2\pi rh+4\pi r^2=2\pi r[h+2r],~~V=\pi r^2h+\frac{2}{3}\pi r^3~\rightarrow~h=\frac{2r}{3}-\frac{V}{\pi r^2}$$
$$\text{[2]}~C=2\pi r\left[ \frac{2r}{3}-\frac{V}{\pi r^2}+2r \right]=2\pi r\left[ \frac{8}{3}r-\frac{V}{\pi r^2} \right]$$
$$\text{[3]}~C'=2\pi \left[ \frac{8}{3}r-\frac{V}{\pi r^2}+r\left( \frac{8}{3}+\frac{2V}{\pi}r^{-3}\right)\right]$$
$$\text{[4]}~C'=0:~2\pi\left[ \frac{16}{3}r-\frac{V}{\pi r^2}+\frac{2V}{\pi r^3}\right]=0$$
$$\text{[5]}~2\pi\left[ \frac{16\pi r^4-3Vr+6V}{3\pi r^3} \right]=0$$
$$\text{[6]}~\Rightarrow~10\pi r^4=3V(r-2)$$
I don't know the Lagrange multipliers and i think i needn't know them since i follow a basic algebra book from the beginning and they weren't there so far
The units in eq. [6] match but no solution
Indeed i used A meaning the cost function, but V was always for volume

You still have dimensional errors, which means you are doing your arithmetic wrong. Please correct it.
Karol said:
The units in eq. [6] match
No they don’t.

You mean that i can't have (r-2) since 2 is dimensionless?

Karol said:
I denote the cost as C:
$$\text{[1]}~ C=2\pi rh+4\pi r^2=2\pi r[h+2r],~~V=\pi r^2h+\frac{2}{3}\pi r^3~\rightarrow~h=\frac{2r}{3}-\frac{V}{\pi r^2}$$
$$\text{[2]}~C=2\pi r\left[ \frac{2r}{3}-\frac{V}{\pi r^2}+2r \right]=2\pi r\left[ \frac{8}{3}r-\frac{V}{\pi r^2} \right]$$
$$\text{[3]}~C'=2\pi \left[ \frac{8}{3}r-\frac{V}{\pi r^2}+r\left( \frac{8}{3}+\frac{2V}{\pi}r^{-3}\right)\right]$$
$$\text{[4]}~C'=0:~2\pi\left[ \frac{16}{3}r-\frac{V}{\pi r^2}+\frac{2V}{\pi r^3}\right]=0$$
$$\text{[5]}~2\pi\left[ \frac{16\pi r^4-3Vr+6V}{3\pi r^3} \right]=0$$
$$\text{[6]}~\Rightarrow~10\pi r^4=3V(r-2)$$
I don't know the Lagrange multipliers and i think i needn't know them since i follow a basic algebra book from the beginning and they weren't there so far
The units in eq. [6] match but no solution
Indeed i used A meaning the cost function, but V was always for volume

In the first line your expression for ##h## in terms of ##r## and ##V## is incorrect; ##V## should have a positive coefficient and ##r## a negative coefficient.

$$\text{[1]}~ C=2\pi rh+4\pi r^2=2\pi r[h+2r],~~V=\pi r^2h+\frac{2}{3}\pi r^3~\rightarrow~h=\frac{V}{\pi r^2}-2r$$
$$\text{[2]}~C=2\pi r\left[ \frac{V}{2\pi r^2}-2r+2r \right]=\frac{2V}{r}$$
$$C'=-\frac{2V}{r^2}$$
No

Karol said:
$$\text{[1]}~ C=2\pi rh+4\pi r^2=2\pi r[h+2r],~~V=\pi r^2h+\frac{2}{3}\pi r^3~\rightarrow~h=\frac{V}{\pi r^2}-2r$$
$$\text{[2]}~C=2\pi r\left[ \frac{V}{2\pi r^2}-2r+2r \right]=\frac{2V}{r}$$
$$C'=-\frac{2V}{r^2}$$
No

You still persist in making elementary algebra errors that render all you later work invalid. Start again, and BE CAREFUL.

Karol said:
You mean that i can't have (r-2) since 2 is dimensionless?
Yes. And as @Ray Vickson says, all of your errors - in this thread and in others - could have been avoided if you were simply more careful when doing your arithmetic.

$$C=2\pi rh+4\pi r^2=2\pi r[h+2r],~~V=\pi r^2h+\frac{2}{3}\pi r^3~\rightarrow~h=\frac{V}{\pi r^2}-\frac{2}{3}r$$
$$C=2\pi r\left[\frac{V}{\pi r^2}-\frac{2}{3}r+2r\right]=2\pi r\left[\frac{V}{\pi r^2}+\frac{4}{3}r\right]$$
$$C'=2\pi \left[\frac{V}{\pi r^2}+\frac{4}{3}r+r\left( (-2)\frac{V}{2\pi r^2}r^{-3}+\frac{4}{3} \right) \right]=2\pi\left[\frac{8}{3}r-\frac{V}{\pi r^2}\right]$$
$$C'=0~\rightarrow~r^3=\frac{3V}{8\pi}$$
The answer should be:
Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG

I have the number 8 in the denominator that's redundant

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    1.8 KB · Views: 300
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    3 KB · Views: 285
You are aware that the radius is half the diameter, right?

A bit of humor won't hurt...
About the h, i don't see it equals the diameter:
$$r=\frac{1}{2}\sqrt[3]{\frac{3V}{\pi}}$$
$$h=\frac{V}{\pi r^2}-\frac{2}{3}r=\frac{V}{\frac{\pi}{4}\sqrt[3]{\left( \frac{3V}{\pi} \right)^2}}-\frac{2}{3}\frac{1}{2}\sqrt[3]{\frac{3V}{\pi}}$$
This won't cancel to become 2r=h

Orodruin said:
You are aware that the radius is half the diameter, right?
Sorry, relatively new to the forums. Is your attitude the usual around here?

Orodruin, i liked your subtle humor, i laughed.
I hope you didn't offend, since i see others might:
GwtBc said:
Sorry, relatively new to the forums. Is your attitude the usual around here?

I advanced:
$$h=\frac{V}{\pi r^2}-\frac{2}{3}r=\frac{V}{\frac{\pi}{4}\sqrt[3]{\left( \frac{3V}{\pi} \right)^2}}-\frac{2}{3}\frac{1}{2}\sqrt[3]{\frac{3V}{\pi}}$$
$$h=\frac{V-\frac{\pi}{4}\sqrt[3]{\frac{3V}{\pi}}\sqrt[3]{\left( \frac{3V}{\pi} \right)^2}}{3\frac{\pi}{4}\sqrt[3]{\left( \frac{3V}{\pi} \right)^2}}=$$
$$h=\frac{V-\frac{\pi}{4}\frac{3V}{\pi}}{\frac{3\pi}{4}\sqrt[3]{\left( \frac{3V}{\pi} \right)^2}}=\frac{\frac{1}{4}V}{\pi\sqrt[3]{\left( \frac{3V}{\pi} \right)^2}}$$
$$=\frac{V^{(1-2/3)}}{4\pi\sqrt[3]{\left( \frac{3}{\pi} \right)^2}}=\frac{\sqrt[3]{V}}{4\pi\sqrt[3]{\left( \frac{3}{\pi} \right)^2}}$$
It doesn't equal r, so h≠r and it should

After a few trials i got the right answer, that the height of the cylinder equals the diameter:
$$h=\frac{3V-\frac{\pi}{4}\sqrt[3]{\frac{3V}{\pi}}\sqrt[3]{\left( \frac{3V}{\pi} \right)^2}}{3\frac{\pi}{4}\sqrt[3]{\left( \frac{3V}{\pi} \right)^2}}=\frac{3V-\frac{\pi}{4}\frac{3V}{\pi}}{\frac{3\pi}{4}\sqrt[3]{\left( \frac{3V}{\pi} \right)^2}}$$
$$=\frac{\frac{9}{4}V}{\frac{3\pi\sqrt[3]{(3V)^2}}{4\sqrt[3]{\pi^2}}}=\frac{3V}{\sqrt[3]{\pi}\sqrt[3]{(3V)^2}}=\sqrt[3]{\frac{3V}{\pi}}=2r$$

Likes Orodruin
Moderator's note: Thread title changed to be more descriptive and less generic.

1. How do I choose the best materials for a cost-effective silo?

The best materials for a cost-effective silo will depend on the specific needs and requirements of your project. Some factors to consider when selecting materials include the type of materials being stored, the size and capacity of the silo, and the environmental conditions of the location. It is important to carefully research and compare different material options to determine the most cost-effective solution.

2. What design features can help minimize the cost of a silo?

There are several design features that can help minimize the cost of a silo. Some examples include using lightweight materials, opting for a simpler design with fewer components, and incorporating efficient filling and emptying systems. Additionally, considering the long-term maintenance and repair costs of different design options can also impact the overall cost of a silo.

3. How can I reduce the construction time and labor costs of building a silo?

One way to reduce construction time and labor costs is to use pre-fabricated components that can be assembled quickly on-site. Another option is to choose a modular design that allows for easy expansion or modification in the future. Additionally, hiring experienced and efficient construction workers can also help minimize labor costs.

4. Are there any cost-saving measures I should consider during the maintenance of a silo?

Regular maintenance is crucial for ensuring the longevity and efficiency of a silo. Some cost-saving measures to consider during maintenance include conducting thorough inspections to identify and address any issues early on, using high-quality and durable repair materials, and implementing preventive measures to avoid costly repairs in the future.

5. What are some common mistakes that can increase the cost of a silo?

One common mistake that can increase the cost of a silo is underestimating the storage capacity needed, which may result in the need for costly expansions or additional silos in the future. Another mistake is cutting corners during the construction or maintenance process, which can lead to safety hazards or expensive repairs. It is important to carefully plan and consider all factors in order to minimize the cost of a silo.