How to Prove Certain Properties of Homomorphisms and Ideals in Ring Theory?

Also, if $a,b \in J^{-1}$, then $\phi(a+b)=\phi(a)+\phi(b) \in J$, since J is an ideal. So $a+b\in J^{-1}$. Therefore, $J^{-1}$ is an ideal of $R$. In summary, we proved that $\phi^{-1}(J)$ is an ideal of $R$ and that $\ker(\phi)\subset\phi^{-1}(J)$, but we also showed that $\phi(I)$ is not necessarily an ideal of $S$ by providing a counterexample.
Krizalid1
Let $\phi:R\to S$ be a homomorphism of rings. Let $I$ be an ideal of $R$ and $J$ be an ideal of $S.$ Prove that $\phi^{-1}(J)$ is an ideal of $R$ and $\ker(\phi)\subset\phi^{-1}(J).$ Also prove that $\phi(I)$ is not necessarily an ideal of $S.$

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Krizalid said:
Let $\phi:R\to S$ be a homomorphism of rings. Let $I$ be an ideal of $R$ and $J$ be an ideal of $S.$ Prove that $\phi^{-1}(J)$ is an ideal of $R$ and $\ker(\phi)\subset\phi^{-1}(J).$ Also prove that $\phi(I)$ is not necessarily an ideal of $S.$

The second is the easiest: since $0\in J$ then $\phi (ker (\phi))=0\in J$. The third is not complicated: think of the homomorphism $\phi (x)=diag(x,x)$, where $diag(x,x)$ is the 2x2 diagonal matrix with x's on the diagonal. It can't be an ideal.

The first: Let $J^{-1}:=\phi^{-1}(J)$. If $a\in J^{-1}$ and $r\in R$. Then $\phi(ra)=\phi(r) \phi(a) \in J$, since J is an ideal. So $ra\in J^{-1}$.

1. What is a homomorphism in mathematics?

A homomorphism is a function that preserves the algebraic structure of a mathematical object. In other words, it maps elements from one set to another in a way that maintains the operations and relationships between those elements. In the context of rings and groups, a homomorphism preserves addition and multiplication.

2. How are homomorphisms and isomorphisms related?

Homomorphisms and isomorphisms are both types of functions that preserve the algebraic structure of mathematical objects. The main difference is that an isomorphism is a bijective homomorphism, meaning it is both one-to-one and onto. This means that an isomorphism has an inverse function, while a homomorphism may not.

3. What is an ideal in mathematics?

An ideal is a subset of a ring that satisfies certain properties. Specifically, an ideal is a subset that is closed under addition and multiplication by elements of the ring. In other words, if you take any two elements from the ideal and add or multiply them, the result will also be in the ideal. Ideals are important in ring theory and abstract algebra.

4. How are homomorphisms and ideals related?

Homomorphisms can be used to define and study ideals in rings. In particular, the kernel of a homomorphism is an important type of ideal known as the kernel ideal. Additionally, the image of a homomorphism can also be an ideal in the codomain ring. Homomorphisms can also be used to show that two rings are isomorphic, which is useful in studying their corresponding ideals.

5. What are some applications of homomorphisms and ideals?

Homomorphisms and ideals have many applications in mathematics, particularly in abstract algebra. They are used to study and classify algebraic structures such as rings, groups, and fields. They also have applications in areas of mathematics such as number theory and algebraic geometry. In addition, homomorphisms and ideals are used in computer science and cryptography to create secure codes and encryption methods.