How to Set Lower Limit for Intergration on Vector Magnetic Potential Problem

In summary, the conversation is about finding the vector magnetic potential for an infinite long straight wire carrying a DC current. The integral for the potential can have any constant added to it as long as it satisfies the equations for curl(A)=B and divergence(A)=0. The book's solution is not the most general possible and the integral limits do not need to run from - to + infinity along the wire.
yungman

Homework Statement

My question is mainly on the set up of the limits of the integral.

The original question is:

Find vector magnetic potential A distance s from a infinite long straight wire carrying DC current I.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let wire on z-axis and [itex] \vec I = \hat z I [/itex]

[tex]\nabla \times \vec A = \vec B = \hat {\phi} \frac {\mu_0 I}{2\pi r} [/tex]

We know A is same direction as I and is function of r in this case.

[tex] \nabla \times \vec A = \nabla \times \hat z A_{(r)}} = \hat {\phi} \frac {\partial A_{(r)}}{\partial r} = \hat {\phi} \frac {\mu_0 I}{2\pi r} [/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow\; \vec A_{(s)} = \frac {\mu_0 I}{2\pi} \int \frac 1 r dr [/tex]

The book use

[tex] \vec A_{(s)} = \frac {\mu_0 I}{2\pi} \int^s_b \frac 1 r dr [/tex]

Where b is a constant.

My question is how do you justify using b as the lower limit. I understand b cannot be zero. But how do you justify using b constant?

My main question is how do you set the lower limit in this case.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I think it's just a case of the familiar idea that you can always add an arbitrary constant to the potential. The lower limit on the integral adds a constant to A, and since the derivative of a constant is 0, that doesn't affect the B field. So your last integral is the potential at radius s relative to some point b.

Mike Pemulis said:
I think it's just a case of the familiar idea that you can always add an arbitrary constant to the potential. The lower limit on the integral adds a constant to A, and since the derivative of a constant is 0, that doesn't affect the B field. So your last integral is the potential at radius s relative to some point b.

Thanks alot, now I remember that I can choose any A as long as I can satisfy

[tex] \nabla \times \vec A =\vec B \;\hbox { and } \nabla \cdot \vec A = 0 [/tex]

and any b will satisfy this!

Thanks

Alan

b is just an arbitrary constant. You can easily show that whatever b happens to be, the equation curl A=B is still satisfied.

Incidentally, the book's solution is not the most general possible. You can add any curl-free field to it and get an expression that still satisfies curl(A)=B.

Oops, Mike already answered.

Your equation (and therefore your integral) are wrong.

Where is s?

The integral limits must run from - to + infinity along the wire.

Antiphon said:
Your equation (and therefore your integral) are wrong.

Where is s?

They don't. There's no s because the OP decided to use r to represent distance from the wire. His solution would be perfectly fine if he used s instead.

The integral limits must run from - to + infinity along the wire.

They don't. The indefinite integral solves curl(A)=B; a definite integral is equivalent to a constant, and would always have curl(A)=0.

1. What is a vector magnetic potential problem?

A vector magnetic potential problem is a type of mathematical problem in which the goal is to find the vector magnetic potential of a given magnetic field. The vector magnetic potential is a mathematical representation of the magnetic field, and it can be used to calculate other properties of the field, such as energy or force.

2. Why is it important to set a lower limit for integration in a vector magnetic potential problem?

Setting a lower limit for integration in a vector magnetic potential problem is important because it helps to define the boundaries of the problem and ensure that the solution is valid within those boundaries. It also helps to avoid mathematical errors or inconsistencies in the solution.

3. How do you determine the appropriate lower limit for integration in a vector magnetic potential problem?

The appropriate lower limit for integration in a vector magnetic potential problem can be determined by considering the physical boundaries of the problem, such as the size and shape of the magnetic field, and any known constraints or assumptions. It may also require trial and error to find the most accurate and efficient solution.

4. What are some common techniques for setting a lower limit for integration in a vector magnetic potential problem?

Some common techniques for setting a lower limit for integration in a vector magnetic potential problem include using symmetry or boundary conditions to determine the appropriate limit, using physical intuition or mathematical reasoning to estimate the limit, or using numerical methods to find the most accurate solution.

5. How does the choice of lower limit for integration affect the solution of a vector magnetic potential problem?

The choice of lower limit for integration can significantly affect the solution of a vector magnetic potential problem. A lower limit that is too small may result in an inaccurate or unstable solution, while a lower limit that is too large may make the problem computationally inefficient. It is important to carefully consider the appropriate lower limit to ensure an accurate and efficient solution.