How to short the opamp's inputs together

• Thread starter Minh Thanh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Short
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of "shorting inputs" in the context of an op-amp circuit. The speaker is unsure of how to do this and asks for clarification and a visual aid. Others in the conversation suggest that shorting the inputs can be useful for measuring the DC offset at the output. However, the original poster (OP) is having trouble achieving the expected results and others offer suggestions for troubleshooting. The conversation ends with a clarification that the requirement is to short out the input to the circuit, not the inputs to the op-amp.
Minh Thanh

Homework Statement

How to short the opamp 's inputs together. Below is schematic of circuit.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is first time that I heard " Short Inputs " .It 's terrible to me .I don't know how to short it . Could you help me about this, ?. Please you illustrate by picture so that I can understand it clearly .

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    4.7 KB · Views: 728
Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea why you would want the short the inputs together. Opamps will need negative feedback for operation, and you can't get that if the inputs are shorted together. If you short the inputs, the output might be anything.
The picture seems incomplete. A piece of the circuit on the right is missing.

Minh Thanh said:
This is first time that I heard " Short Inputs "

Are you asking what "short inputs" means? It means connect them together electrically (eg with a wire).

Do you mean..
a) short the OP Amp inputs
or
b) short the PH Probe Inputs?

Sometimes you short Inputs together temporarily to allow you to measure the DC offset at the output.

It would be best to post the whole circuit.

CWatters said:
Sometimes you short Inputs together temporarily to allow you to measure the DC offset at the output.
That would be my guess as well, but we'll have to wait for the OP to show up again to clarify his question...

CWatters said:
Are you asking what "short inputs" means? It means connect them together electrically (eg with a wire).

Do you mean..
a) short the OP Amp inputs
or
b) short the PH Probe Inputs?

It would be best to post the whole circuit.
I mean is that short the OP Amp Inputs . However, I did it but I don't receive expected offset voltage is 0mV at LM351 ' output . LM351 ' output just display two value are -6.01 V and 8.40V . May you help me about this ?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    9.3 KB · Views: 994
Minh Thanh said:
I mean is that short the OP Amp Inputs . However, I did it but I don't receive expected offset voltage is 0mV at LM351 ' output . LM351 ' output just display two value are -6.01 V and 8.40V . May you help me about this ?
Sorry, but your posts are making no sense at all. Please answer the following questions to help us out:

1) How did you "short the inputs"? Is this in a simulation, or on a circuit board?

2) How did you get two different results when you shorted the inputs? Were the results from Monday and Wednesday? Or did the output oscillate between those two output values?

Please post much more information about your question and circuit. Please.

berkeman said:
Sorry, but your posts are making no sense at all. Please answer the following questions to help us out:

1) How did you "short the inputs"? Is this in a simulation, or on a circuit board?

2) How did you get two different results when you shorted the inputs? Were the results from Monday and Wednesday? Or did the output oscillate between those two output values?

Please post much more information about your question and circuit. Please.
Well , I am sorry. My answer is :
In circuit board , I want to calibrate the circuit so that DC offset can be 0mV .I connected to pin 2 and 3 together at Opamp' inputs . I took pH probe out from my circuit then I supplied power and adjusted potentiometer to hope LM351 ' output is 0mV. . However, The output didn't oscillate . It just displayed either -6 V or 8.40 even though I was trying to adjust really slowly potentiometer . These results was on Wednesday.

To adjust the offset, I think you leave the OP-AMP output open (i.e., not connected back to its input) and connect both inputs to ground (inputs need to get a tiny bit of current, so you can't leave them connected nowhere). With this arrangement, then adjust the offset pot while you monitor the OP-AMP's output.

+1

If you just short them together and nothing else they can float up and down creating a common mode input signal. OP Amps will normally reject common mode inputs but only within a certain voltage range. Typically things go wrong if the inputs float up/down outside that range (eg to the supply rails). So short them together and to the 0V rail while setting the offset.

There is a guide to some of the practical issues with opamps here..

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/semiconductors/chpt-8/op-amp-practical-considerations/

The requirement is to short out the input to the circuit, not the inputs to the op-amp. So you need to connect pin 3 to ground then adjust the offset pot, not connect pins 2 and 3 together.

Likes NTL2009 and NascentOxygen
GrahamN-UK said:
The requirement is to short out the input to the circuit, not the inputs to the op-amp. So you need to connect pin 3 to ground then adjust the offset pot, not connect pins 2 and 3 together.
Agreed. The other replies are for an op-amp alone. But in the circuit given, the op-amp output is tied to the inverting input (it's a buffer), so shorting the inputs together and to ground shorts the output to ground. Nothing to measure.

In this context, it certainly means to short the input probe connector (grounding the non-inverting input of the op-amp), and adjust the pot for zero offset. Ahh, a quick google came up with the full info (not sure why OP did not post this):

http://www.edn.com/design/test-and-measurement/4340776/Convert-your-DMM-to-a-pH-meter
http://m.eet.com/media/1141038/18702-figure_3.pdf
18702-figure_3.pdf

1. How do I short the opamp's inputs together?

To short the opamp's inputs together, you can simply connect a wire between the two input terminals. This will effectively short the inputs and create a unity-gain amplifier, meaning the output will mirror the input.

2. Why would I want to short the opamp's inputs together?

Shorting the opamp's inputs together is useful when you want to create a buffer or unity-gain amplifier, where the output voltage follows the input voltage without any amplification. It can also be used to create a virtual ground reference.

3. Can I short the opamp's inputs together if there is a feedback loop?

It is generally not recommended to short the opamp's inputs together if there is a feedback loop, as this can cause instability and oscillations in the circuit. In these cases, it is best to use a resistor to create a virtual ground reference.

4. Are there any precautions I should take when shorting the opamp's inputs together?

Yes, it is important to make sure that the opamp is powered and operating within its specified voltage range. Also, make sure to use a wire with low resistance and keep the inputs shorted for as short of a time as possible to avoid any potential damage to the opamp.

5. Can I short the opamp's inputs together with any opamp?

Not all opamps are designed to be used with shorted inputs. Some opamps have protection circuitry that can be damaged if the inputs are shorted together. It is important to consult the opamp's datasheet to ensure that it is suitable for this type of application.