How to Show that L is a Diagonal Matrix for Invertible Triangular Matrices LU=A?

In summary, given that L and U are invertible 3x3 matrices and that L is lower triangular and U is upper triangular, if LU is also upper triangular, then L is a diagonal matrix. This can be reasoned by considering the standard factorization of A into upper triangular form using elementary row matrices. Since A is already in the desired form, there are no row operations needed, making all the multipliers in the lower triangular inverse elimination matrix zero. This means that L is a diagonal matrix. Additionally, the formula for the i,j component of A can be written in terms of the components for U and L using the splitting of a matrix in the basis Ei,j and by using the formula that expresses LxU. Furthermore
Newtime

Homework Statement

Let L and U be invertible 3x3 matrices, L is lower triangular and U is upper triangular. Assume LU is upper triangular, show that L is a diagonal matrix.

Homework Equations

None? Maybe A=LU or A=LDU

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically, I can reason out the beginnings of a solution but I can't get it to be concrete enough. I am thinking that if we let LU=A, A is upper triangular, then U and A are of the same form. Thus we could think of A=LU as the standard factorization of A using Elimination (Elementary Row Matrices) Matrices to get A into upper triangular to presumably solve a system of three equations. But since A is already in the desired form, there are no row operations of eliminations to be made, this all the multipliers are exactly zero this every term of the lower triangular inverse elimination matrix below the main diagonal (where one would place the multipliers) is zero, this L is a diagonal matrix.

This isn't necessarily a proof based class, and this question isn't asking for a rigorous proof, but I still feel like the answer above is weak and would like to strengthen it. Or, if it is completely wrong in reasoning, then obviously I would like to arrive at the correct method of reasoning. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you write down a formula for the i,j component of A in terms of the components for U and L?

You can use the splitting of a matrix in the basis Ei,j(=1 if i=j, 0 otherwise).
L and U are inversible implies their diagonal components are different from 0.
And use the formula that expresses LxU.

Thanks guys, I solved this shortly after posting. To anyone else who might come across this, the above posts are what to do, also remember the matrices are invertible and no diagonal entries can be zero...

Related to How to Show that L is a Diagonal Matrix for Invertible Triangular Matrices LU=A?

1. What is basic linear algebra?

Basic linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with operations on vectors and matrices. It involves solving systems of linear equations, finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and performing operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and inversion on matrices.

2. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that has both magnitude and direction. It is typically represented as an array of numbers and can be used to represent quantities such as force, velocity, and displacement.

3. What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or other mathematical objects. It is typically represented as rows and columns and can be used to represent transformations, solve systems of equations, and perform other operations in linear algebra.

4. How is basic linear algebra used in science?

Basic linear algebra is used in many scientific fields, including physics, engineering, computer science, and data analysis. It is used to model and solve real-world problems, analyze data, and make predictions.

5. What are some common applications of basic linear algebra?

Basic linear algebra has a wide range of applications, including image and signal processing, machine learning, cryptography, and optimization. It is also used in fields such as economics, biology, and chemistry to analyze and model complex systems.