How to show that the two EM invariants are a complete set?

In summary, there are two Lorentz scalars in electromagnetism, P=B^2-E^2 and Q=E\cdot B, which are considered a complete set of invariants according to the Wikipedia article on the classification of electromagnetic fields. This means that any other invariant can be expressed in terms of these two. There are various approaches to proving this, such as using rotations and boosts to simplify the field tensor, or considering the continuous functions of the field tensor. However, it is important to note that invariants such as E.B cannot be expressed in terms of P and Q, as they are not continuous functions of the field tensor.
bcrowell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
In electromagnetism we have these two Lorentz scalars:

##P=B^2-E^2##

##Q=E\cdot B##

WP https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classification_of_electromagnetic_fields claims that these are a complete set of invariants, because "every other invariant can be expressed in terms of these two." How does one prove this? Would the idea be to show that any electromagnetic field tensor can be rendered into one of a set of canonical forms by boosts and rotations? Or maybe you could fiddle with the eigenvalues of the field tensor?

Is the claim only true for invariants that are continuous functions of the field tensor (i.e., continuous functions of its components)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't worked this out fully, but the following might do the job. In the general case, where neither P nor Q vanishes, I think you can do a rotation and a boost such that E and B both lie along the x axis. Then clearly there are only two degrees of freedom, corresponding to the x components of the two fields, so there can only be two invariants.

bcrowell said:
I haven't worked this out fully, but the following might do the job. In the general case, where neither P nor Q vanishes, I think you can do a rotation and a boost such that E and B both lie along the x axis. Then clearly there are only two degrees of freedom, corresponding to the x components of the two fields, so there can only be two invariants.
I don't think this can be the case. If E.B is non-zero, and it is an invariant, then there is no frame where both E and B lie along the x-axis, because then E.B = 0.

phyzguy said:
I don't think this can be the case. If E.B is non-zero, and it is an invariant, then there is no frame where both E and B lie along the x-axis, because then E.B = 0.

Sorry, I don't follow you. If E and B are parallel and both nonzero, then their dot product is nonzero.

bcrowell said:
Sorry, I don't follow you. If E and B are parallel and both nonzero, then their dot product is nonzero.

You're right of course. Should teach me to post when I'm tired. Please ignore my comment.

1. How do you define EM invariants?

EM invariants are mathematical quantities that remain unchanged under certain transformations in an electromagnetic field. They are used to describe the properties of the field and can be calculated from the electric and magnetic fields.

2. What is the significance of showing that two EM invariants are a complete set?

By showing that two EM invariants are a complete set, we are proving that they are sufficient to fully describe the electromagnetic field. This is important because it allows us to simplify the analysis and understanding of the field without losing any important information.

3. How do you show that two EM invariants are a complete set?

To show that two EM invariants are a complete set, you need to prove that any other EM invariant can be expressed as a combination of the two chosen invariants. This can be done through mathematical proofs and calculations.

4. What are some examples of EM invariants?

Some examples of EM invariants include the electric field strength, magnetic field strength, electric flux, magnetic flux, and Poynting vector. These are all quantities that remain constant in certain transformations of the electromagnetic field.

5. How are EM invariants used in practical applications?

EM invariants are used in a variety of practical applications, such as in designing electromagnetic devices, analyzing the behavior of electromagnetic waves, and studying the properties of materials in an electromagnetic field. They are also important in the development of technologies such as wireless communication, radar, and medical imaging.