How to solve for Initial velocity Problem

In summary, the bobsled has an acceleration of -4.5 m/s and comes to a stop after 5 seconds. Using the equation vf = v + at, we can find the initial velocity by substituting the known values. The only unknown is the initial velocity, which can be solved for by setting vf = 0 m/s. By doing distance over time, the answer will be negative. To get a positive answer, the correct equation to use is vf = v + at.
pennywise1234

Homework Statement

A bobsled glides down a hill with an acceleration of -4.5 m/s If it stops after 5 s, what was its initial velocity?

2. Homework Equations

i know vf(final)= v + at

The Attempt at a Solution

i multiplied -4.5m/s by 5s and i got the correct answer the only problem is the answer is negative, i need it to be positive. Where or what did i do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
pennywise1234 said:

Homework Statement

A bobsled glides down a hill with an acceleration of -4.5 m/s If it stops after 5 s, what was its initial velocity?

2. Homework Equations

i know vf(final)= v + at

The Attempt at a Solution

i multiplied -4.5m/s by 5s and i got the correct answer the only problem is the answer is negative, i need it to be positive. Where or what did i do wrong?
Write the equation you are using to solve this problem, then substitute in it for the variables you know.

The issue is I do not know what equation to use. I though the initial velocity equation would help, but I am not given final velocity I only have two known variables

The problem states clearly what the sled's final speed is. The unknown here is its initial speed.

so distance over time ?

i know the equation for for final velocity is vf= v(initial) + (a)(t)<---- acceleration multiplied by time

to get the final velocity i did do distance over time giving me -0.9 then i multiplied -4.5m/s by 5s i added all those figures together giving me a number that is not similar to the answer key

The sled is brought to a stop, which tells you its final speed is 0 m/s.

Likes pennywise1234
o damn, right under my nose.

1. What is the formula for solving for initial velocity?

The formula for solving for initial velocity is V0 = V - at, where V0 is the initial velocity, V is the final velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

2. Can I use this formula for any type of initial velocity problem?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of initial velocity problem as long as you have values for the final velocity, acceleration, and time.

3. How do I determine the initial velocity if I only have the final velocity and acceleration?

If you only have the final velocity and acceleration, you can use the formula V0 = √(V2 - 2ad), where V0 is the initial velocity, V is the final velocity, a is the acceleration, and d is the distance.

4. Is there a specific unit of measurement for initial velocity?

The unit of measurement for initial velocity depends on the units used for the other variables in the formula. For example, if acceleration is measured in meters per second squared and time is measured in seconds, then the initial velocity will be measured in meters per second.

5. Can I use this formula to solve for initial velocity in a projectile motion problem?

Yes, this formula can be used to solve for initial velocity in a projectile motion problem as long as you have the necessary variables (final velocity, acceleration, and time) and understand the direction and angle of the projectile's motion.