How to stop my neighbours' loud music?

• Misc.
  • Thread starter kent davidge
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary, if you live in a community where people are constantly partying and the parties last all night, you may want to buy some special windows that partially block sound, or try to make your own soundproofing by using a sound tube and playing music loudly. If you live in a community where people are constantly partying and the parties last all night, you may want to buy some special windows that partially block sound, or try to make your own soundproofing by using a sound tube and playing music loudly.
kent davidge
I live in a complicated community. People will have parties lasting all the night in the weekend. Ocasionally some neighbours will complain and call the police. However people are usually too afraid of doing anything fearing retaliation. (Fortunately during this pandemic authorities are not allowing any gathering, so things are remaining quiet and thus Coronavirus has brought something good to us.)

So I thought I could solve the problem at least for me by somehow blocking the sound from entering my bedroom so that I could sleep at night.

I know there are some special windows out there which partially block sound. Buying one could be a solution. Aside from that, is there any other thing I can do? I mean, perhaps some way of diverting away the waves.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest a white noise generator.
Such as this one: rohm

If that's not enough, call the police - every time.

Likes kent davidge and pinball1970
I had an upstairs neighbor whose kid would play Led Zeppelin too loudly right above my bedroom. I talked to the Dad and got a response that was in my view rather apathetic, along the lines of 'what're you going to do -- he's a kid'. So I pointed my Celestion speakers at the ceiling, turned my NAD amplifier to the max, put my Yamaha sound board that I used as a pre-amp on max, and put The Who's 'Won't Get Fooled Again' on repeat, and then went out for a long walk -- the noise quit the next day permanently . . .

• Haha
  • Love
Likes physics4two, 2milehi, Buzz Bloom and 5 others
Cheaper than new windows is hang heavy draperies or blanket over the window... or get some furniture pads that moving companies use to protect stuff during a move.

If needed, you can use the same treatment on the walls, or cover the walls with corkboard.

A friend found a low cost window treatment; he used thermal insulating panels from the hardware store made of Styrofoam and cut them to fit in the window frame.
(use a knife, not a saw. a saw leaves thousands of little bits that are tough to clean up!)

Good Luck! Please let us know what works for you.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes BillTre, kent davidge, jack action and 1 other person
kent davidge said:
I live in a complicated community. People will have parties lasting all the night in the weekend. Ocasionally some neighbours will complain and call the police. However people are usually too afraid of doing anything fearing retaliation. (Fortunately during this pandemic authorities are not allowing any gathering, so things are remaining quiet and thus Coronavirus has brought something good to us.)

So I thought I could solve the problem at least for me by somehow blocking the sound from entering my bedroom so that I could sleep at night.

I know there are some special windows out there which partially block sound. Buying one could be a solution. Aside from that, is there any other thing I can do? I mean, perhaps some way of diverting away the waves.
Totally identify with this.
An absolute moron used to play his music loud underneath me. It's soul destroying.

Likes kent davidge and sysprog
Some friends had that problem. So they asked their daughter to step outside for some music practice. After a half hour of bagpipe practice, the loud music stopped. For the rest of the summer.

• Haha
Likes Buzz Bloom, BillTre, kent davidge and 1 other person
jrmichler said:
Some friends had that problem. So they asked their daughter to step outside for some music practice. After a half hour of bagpipe practice, the loud music stopped. For the rest of the summer.
When I was a pre-teen kid there was a neighbor older kid who would at reasonable hours practice marching and playing bagpipe -- he was pretty solidly good -- different meaning for the 'drone' word in that context from what it normally denotes today . . .

Likes BillTre and kent davidge
I have a neighbor who regularly would open his windows up, play his indoor stereo loud (with an appalling taste in music, I might add, all modern robotic auto-tune crap). This went on for 2 weeks, in which he washed his cars outside nearly every day (does anyone know of a mail-order service for life? I might order him one...). After my partner (who is stuck at home during the lockdown all day) complained, I went out and did some work in the garage, and elected to play Dropkick Murphys, very loud. funnily enough, he hasn't played his music with the windows wide open since.

If they are having parties until the early morning, then the best time for you to play for them is about 8-9AM. It may be worth investing in a sound tube, which you could fit a speaker to and literally fire your music at them, and spare the neighbors somewhat. I recommend ABBA, it's rarely welcomed by hungover people.

Likes kent davidge
You could also overpower their music with abba via the soundtube, that'll disrupt their party!

Likes kent davidge
Hah oh no feel like I'm one of those annoying people 😬 🤐(sorry!) I'm pretty hard of hearing for my age though (28) I find myself responding with "what?" Or "huh?" The majority of the time rather reciprocating an answer. I sometimes debate with myself in my head if it's just selective hearing, but most of the time it's not. My mom and dad were "rock and rollers" and would blast our rock station (DC 101) every evening during dinner time after we said Grace. I loved it though. My parents are cool 😎 My personal favorites specifically were Nirvana, Sublime, and QUEEN!

I have found that when people do things that annoy me, I try to put myself in their shoes and decipher how I would want someone to approach me with the issue and keep it copacetic.

Likes kent davidge and Tom.G
I was on a field job for over a year; the apartment I got seemed very nice. Soon I learned the complex had a work-out room. On the other side of my bedroom wall. The weight lifters had a habit of dropping the weights. Ugh. They were supposed to clear out at 10:00 PM but that was after my bedtime, and some nights they stayed late. I called the office and the manager would go close the gym, but this happened over & over. I taped up a sign in the gym, "Please I am sleeping on the other side of this wall." Big mistake, some of the patrons thought it would be funny to be extra loud.

No solution, I had to put up with it for about 15 months...

• Sad
Likes kent davidge and BillTre
There are noise-cancelling systems available for your situation. Search 'outdoor active noise cancelling.' I'm not sure how much money you're prepared to spend.

An alternative: I have found it useful (on occasion) to be perceived as the craziest guy in my neighborhood. Knock on the offender's door and politely explain that the music is making it hard to hear the voices in your head, but they seem to be getting mad. People fear crazy.

• Haha
  • Informative
Likes Jodo, kent davidge, Tom.G and 2 others

1. How can I politely ask my neighbors to turn down their loud music?

One option is to approach your neighbors in person and kindly explain the situation. You can also consider writing a polite note or sending a text message.

2. Is there a legal way to stop my neighbors from playing loud music?

Yes, you can file a noise complaint with your local authorities. Make sure to document the excessive noise and any previous attempts to resolve the issue with your neighbors.

3. Can I use soundproofing materials to block out my neighbors' loud music?

Soundproofing materials can help reduce the noise, but they may not completely block it out. You can also try using white noise machines or earplugs to help drown out the sound.

4. What steps can I take if my neighbors continue to play loud music despite my requests?

If the issue persists, you can consider involving a mediator or reaching out to your landlord or homeowners association. In extreme cases, you may need to seek legal action.

5. How can I prevent future noise disturbances from my neighbors?

To prevent future disturbances, it may be helpful to establish clear boundaries and expectations with your neighbors. You can also consider investing in noise-canceling headphones or a white noise machine to help minimize the impact of the noise.