How to use contour, complex analysis to solve integrals?

In summary: The answer is that there is no singularity at x= 0 in the lower half plane, but there is in the upper half plane. Then there will be no singularities inside the contour so the integral around the entire contour is 0. You can then say that the integral around the contour is the integral, on the real line, from -R to r and from r to R, plus the integral around the semi-circle with radius R plus the integral around the semi-circle with radius r and that sum is 0. You should be able to show that the integral around the semi-circle with radius R has limit 0 as R goes to infinity so your original integral is the negative of the limit
Amad27

Homework Statement

[itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\sin(x)}{x}[/itex] using Complex Analysis

Homework Equations

Contour analysis on [itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\sin(x)}{x}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello,

I am completely new to contour integration. I would really appreciate it if someone can walk me through contour integration. And residues and how to perform contour integration.

So first we choose a contour. What are the guidelines for choosing a contour? Does it matter?

Thanks, for helping me!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, first you need a contour! And it is simplest to use a closed contour. Since you can't, technically, have a contour "at infinity", choose some number "R" and consider the integral [tex]\int_{-R}^R \frac{sin(x)}{x}dx[/tex]. Circular contours are typically easiest to work with so we might close the contour by taking the semi-circle, from R to -R in the upper half plane. There will be a problem at x= 0 where the is a (removable) singularity. You might, then, change the line from -R to R by taking a small semi-circle, of radius "r", say, from -r to r, also in the upper half plane.

Then there will be no singularities inside the contour so the integral around the entire contour is 0. You can then say that the integral around the contour is the integral, on the real line, from -R to r and from r to R, plus the integral around the semi-circle with radius R plus the integral around the semi-circle with radius r and that sum is 0. You should be able to show that the integral around the semi-circle with radius R has limit 0 as R goes to infinity so your original integral is the negative of the limit of the integral around the semi-circle of radius r, as r goes to 0.

Hello @HallsofIvy, thanks for the pleasant reply! Will you advise me with something?

How does the circular contour give area of the function from negative infinity to infinity? Why do you need a "circle," anyway?

We go:

[tex] -R \to 0[/tex] and then [tex] 0 \to R[/itex] then finally, [tex] R \to -R[/tex]

Here is what I don't understand. why do we need to go from [tex]R \to -R[/tex] if we already have it going from [tex] -R \to R[/tex]

Or is the integral in the end:

I = Full length - length of curvature (not diameter) = diameter

But then again, how does length give area? Thanks HallsofIvy!

Amad27 said:
Hello @HallsofIvy, thanks for the pleasant reply! Will you advise me with something?

How does the circular contour give area of the function from negative infinity to infinity? Why do you need a "circle," anyway?

We go:

[tex] -R \to 0[/tex] and then [tex] 0 \to R[/itex] then finally, [tex] R \to -R[/tex]

Here is what I don't understand. why do we need to go from [tex]R \to -R[/tex] if we already have it going from [tex] -R \to R[/tex]

Or is the integral in the end:

I = Full length - length of curvature (not diameter) = diameter

But then again, how does length give area? Thanks HallsofIvy!

You are suffering from many mis-conceptions about contour integration, so much so that I think you cannot really hope to learn it in a few PF postings. You really need to read up on it in a lengthier treatment. See. eg.,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methods_of_contour_integration or
http://web.williams.edu/Mathematics/sjmiller/public_html/372/coursenotes/Trapper_MethodsContourIntegrals.pdf or
https://www.math.ust.hk/~maykwok/courses/ma304/06_07/Complex_4.pdf

The first link is to a summary; the second link has numerous examples similar to yours (but assumes some background theory already); the third link is to a complete treatment of the subject, giving all the basic results and developing the methods.

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
Well, first you need a contour! And it is simplest to use a closed contour. Since you can't, technically, have a contour "at infinity", choose some number "R" and consider the integral [tex]\int_{-R}^R \frac{sin(x)}{x}dx[/tex]. Circular contours are typically easiest to work with so we might close the contour by taking the semi-circle, from R to -R in the upper half plane. There will be a problem at x= 0 where the is a (removable) singularity. You might, then, change the line from -R to R by taking a small semi-circle, of radius "r", say, from -r to r, also in the upper half plane.

The question is of course why take this small semi-circle in the upper half plane and not in the lower half plane :-)

1. What is contour integration?

Contour integration is a method used in complex analysis to solve integrals. It involves integrating a function along a path in the complex plane, rather than along the real axis.

2. How do I choose a contour for integration?

The contour chosen for integration should be a closed path that encloses the region where the integral is being evaluated. It should also avoid any singularities of the function being integrated.

3. What is the Cauchy integral formula?

The Cauchy integral formula states that if a function is analytic inside and on a closed contour, then the value of the integral of that function around the contour is equal to the sum of the values of the function at all points inside the contour.

4. How do I use the residue theorem in contour integration?

The residue theorem is a powerful tool in contour integration that states that the integral of a function around a closed contour is equal to 2πi times the sum of the residues of the function at all its isolated singularities inside the contour.

5. Can contour integration be used to solve real integrals?

Yes, contour integration can be used to solve real integrals by using the fact that the real part of a complex integral is equal to the integral along the real axis. This allows us to use complex analysis techniques to evaluate the integral along the contour and then take the real part to obtain the solution to the original real integral.