How to work out the tensile strength in pounds

In summary, the conversation is about determining the maximum weight a drilling pipe can withstand based on its raw material certificate. There is some confusion regarding the terminology used and the necessary data to make the calculation. The conversation also touches on the importance of units conversion and the need to account for safety factors when obtaining the load rating from the supplier. There is also a brief discussion about the cross-sectional area of the pipe and how it affects the maximum load it can bear. Overall, the conversation highlights the complexity of the question and the need for precise details in order to solve it.
Rustam
Hi to all.
I have a raw material certificate of drilling pipe - there is a YS=863 N/mm2. I would like to know what is the maximum weight in pounds this pipe can withstand.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF! This is a complicated question that requires exact details in order to be solvable.

russ_watters said:
Welcome to PF! This is a complicated question that requires exact details in order to be solvable.
Thank you, Russ.
What data is required for that?I didnt expect the thing was so complicated...

Sorry, I may be missing something due to a possible mismatch between the title and post/confusing terminology("weight it can withstand" and "pipe" had me envisioning a structure). If it is just the max tensile strength, you can probably look it up in a table based on the material name. Or ask the supplier.

Part of this is a units conversion issue. 863 N = 194 lbf and 1 mm ^2 = 0.00155 in ^2, i.e, the result is 125,161 lb/in^2. What is then required is the x-sectional area of the drill pipe.

At the same time, this does mean that the drill pipe's rated tensile load is equal to that result, so you must request the load rating from the drill pipe supplier to insure that the drill pipe thread joint rating is equal to or greater than that of the above calculated load bearing value plus the fact that there is surely a safety factor that is applied to the actual maximum yield stress and the thread failure load values.

Last edited:
Likes Rustam
JBA said:
Part of this is a units conversion issue. 863 N = 194 lbf and 1 mm ^2 = 0.00155 in ^2, i.e, the result is 125,161 lb/in^2. What is then required is the x-sectional area of the drill pipe.

At the same time, this does mean that the drill pipe's rated tensile load is equal to that result, so you must request the load rating from the drill pipe supplier to insure that the drill pipe thread joint rating is equal to or greater than that of the above calculated load bearing value plus the fact that there is surely a safety factor that is applied to the actual maximum yield stress and the thread failure load values.
Thank you very much, JBA.
I got almost the same result (slight conversion issue). The OD of pipe is 5.5" and ID is 4". The pipe itself is integral (no welds etc.). So, the rating of pipe body is equal to that of tool joint. I calculated 1784100 lbs (converted the 863 N/mm2 to 125200 psi (lbs/in2) and then multiplied the cross-sectional area of pipe (5.5"-4"=14.25 in2) with 125200).
I just would like to check if my calcs are right.

You need to recalculate your x-sectional area for the pipe using the given 5.5 and 4 in dia values. My result for the area is 11.1919 in^2 for a total load limit of 1,401,229 lbs using your 125,200 psi value.

Likes Rustam
JBA said:
You need to recalculate your x-sectional area for the pipe using the given 5.5 and 4 in dia values. My result for the area is 11.1919 in^2 for a total load limit of 1,401,229 lbs using your 125,200 psi value.
Yes, JBA, I didnt apply a conversion...my bad.
I agree with you.
Thanks again for an interesting discussion and help.

1. What is tensile strength?

Tensile strength is the maximum amount of stress that a material can withstand before breaking or permanently deforming. It is a measure of a material's ability to resist being pulled apart by forces acting in opposite directions.

2. How is tensile strength measured?

Tensile strength is typically measured in units of force per cross-sectional area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (N/m²). It can be determined through various testing methods, such as tensile tests, where a material is subjected to a pulling force until it breaks.

3. What factors affect tensile strength?

The tensile strength of a material is influenced by several factors, including its chemical composition, microstructure, and processing techniques. The type of load applied, temperature, and rate of loading can also affect the tensile strength of a material.

4. How can I calculate the tensile strength in pounds?

To calculate the tensile strength in pounds, you will need to know the maximum load (in pounds) that a material can withstand before breaking and its cross-sectional area (in square inches). Then, simply divide the maximum load by the cross-sectional area to get the tensile strength in pounds per square inch (psi).

5. Why is knowing the tensile strength important?

Knowing the tensile strength of a material is crucial in engineering and construction industries. It helps determine the suitability of a material for a specific application and allows engineers to design structures and components that can withstand the expected loads. It also helps in quality control and ensuring the safety and reliability of products.