How to write taylor series in sigma notation

In summary, Taylor series are a way to represent a derivative of a function using a series, and when to use (-1)n and (-1)n+1.
haflanagan

Homework Statement

My Calc II final is tomorrow, and although we never learned it, it's on the review.
So I have a few examples. Some I can figure out, some I cant.

Examples: f(x)=sinh(x), f(x)=ln(x+1) with x0=0, f(x)=sin(x) with x0=0, f(x)=1/(x-1) with x0=4
The only one of those that I was able to figure out was sinh(x). The rest I don't get. I don't need someone to show me how to do all of them, but maybe just show me how to do these types of problems in general using one of those as an example?

I am really just completely lost here. I could definitely use some help.
Thank you!
And sorry if I did something wrong in terms of posting this thread, I have never used Physics Forum before.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd be interested in knowing how you got sinh(x) and couldn't get sin(x). They are really pretty similar. Are you having trouble representing the alternating sign?

My bad...I actually did get sin(x)!
Okay, maybe I should be more specific.
f(x) = 1/(x-1), x0=4
f'(x) = -1/((x-1)^2)
f"(x) = 2/((x-1)^3)
f'''(x) = -6/((x-1)^4)

Plugging in 4:
f(x) = 1/3
f'(x) = -1/9
f"(x) = 2/27
f'''(x)=-6/81

So the taylor series is 1/3 + -(x-4)/9 + 2(x-4)^2/54 + -6(x-4)^3/486...

Now I just found in my notes that the format for sigma notation should be the sum from n=0 to infinity of the n-th derivative of f(a) * (x-a)^n/n!
But I just have no idea how to take that taylor series and get it into that format.
I think my brain is dead from doing too much math :(

Okay well the answer to that last one should be (-1)^n * (x-4)^n / 3^(n+1)
I get the (-1)^n (because the signs are alternating) and I get the (x-4)^n. But what I do not get is where the 3^(n+1) is coming from.
Also, how do you know when do use (-1)^n and when to use (-1)^(n+1)? What's the difference?

haflanagan said:

Also, how do you know when do use (-1)^n and when to use (-1)^(n+1)? What's the difference?
(-1)n is positive for even n, negative for odd n.

(-1)n+1 is positive for odd n, negative for even n.

Ahh okay that makes sense!
Thanks!
Well...at least if I make an educated guess I will probably be able to get a least partial credit...

Related to How to write taylor series in sigma notation

1. What is a Taylor series in sigma notation?

A Taylor series is a representation of a mathematical function as an infinite sum of terms. Sigma notation is a compact way of writing such a sum, using the Greek letter sigma (∑) to indicate the sum of terms.

2. How do I write a Taylor series in sigma notation?

To write a Taylor series in sigma notation, you need to find the general form of the series, which is given by the formula ∑(n=0 to ∞) (fn(a) / n!) * (x-a)n, where fn(a) represents the nth derivative of the function at the point a. Then, simply plug in the appropriate values for n, a, and x to get the specific terms of the series.

3. Why would I want to write a function as a Taylor series in sigma notation?

Writing a function as a Taylor series in sigma notation allows you to approximate the value of the function at any point by adding up a finite number of terms. This can be useful in situations where it is difficult or impossible to calculate the exact value of a function.

4. What is the difference between a Taylor series and a Maclaurin series?

A Taylor series is a representation of a function around any point, while a Maclaurin series is a special case of a Taylor series where the point of expansion is 0. In other words, a Maclaurin series is a Taylor series with a=0.

5. Are there any tips for writing a Taylor series in sigma notation?

One tip is to simplify the general form of the series by using properties of derivatives, such as the power rule and the chain rule. Another tip is to use known Maclaurin series for common functions, such as ex, sin(x), and cos(x), as building blocks for more complex Taylor series.