How were atomic numbers exactly determined?

In summary, the conversation discusses the lack of information on how atomic numbers were determined in school textbooks and the role of Moseley's law in determining the number of protons in an atom. It is mentioned that Moseley's 1913 paper, which is available online, provides a detailed account of this concept.
ViolentCorpse
Pardon my ignorance please, but they never taught us about that in school. I've never seen any mention in any of the chemistry/physics/electronics textbooks that I've ever read about how the atomic numbers of each element were empirically found in the first place. I understand it has something to do with Moseley's law, but how exactly does that help determine the number of protons an atom contains?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Oh wow. Thank you so much, JohnRC! And you too Greg Bernhardt. I had already read the wiki article on it, but I wanted a little more detailed account (However, I just found that Moseley's paper is cited in the wiki page. I feel bad for that).

Thanks, again guys! :)

Last edited:

No need to apologize for your lack of knowledge on this topic, it is a common question and one that is not always covered in depth in school textbooks. The determination of atomic numbers is a fascinating part of the history of science and it involves the work of several scientists.

The first person to propose the concept of atomic numbers was the Russian chemist Dmitri Mendeleev in the late 1800s. He observed that when elements were arranged in order of increasing atomic weight, there were patterns in their chemical properties. However, there were some inconsistencies in this arrangement, and Mendeleev proposed that there may be missing elements that had not yet been discovered. He also suggested that these missing elements would have properties that fit into the patterns observed in the periodic table.

In the early 1900s, a British physicist named Henry Moseley conducted experiments to determine the atomic numbers of elements. He used X-rays to measure the frequencies of the characteristic X-rays emitted by different elements. He found that the frequencies were not related to atomic weight, as previously thought, but rather to the number of protons in the nucleus of an atom. This became known as Moseley's law, and it provided a more accurate way to determine the atomic number of an element.

Moseley's work was crucial in solidifying the concept of atomic numbers and their relationship to the number of protons in an atom. This discovery also helped fill in the gaps in Mendeleev's periodic table and led to the discovery of new elements.

In summary, atomic numbers were determined through the observation of patterns in the properties of elements and the use of X-ray experiments to determine the number of protons in an atom. This work was done by several scientists over the course of many years and has greatly contributed to our understanding of the structure of atoms and the periodic table.

1. How were atomic numbers determined before the periodic table was created?

Before the periodic table was created, scientists used various methods such as spectroscopy, X-ray diffraction, and atomic weight measurements to determine the atomic numbers of elements.

2. What is the significance of atomic numbers in the periodic table?

Atomic numbers determine the position of an element on the periodic table, which reflects its atomic structure and chemical properties. Elements with the same atomic number have similar properties and are placed in the same group on the periodic table.

3. How did scientists determine the atomic numbers of elements with unstable isotopes?

For elements with unstable isotopes, scientists used mass spectrometry to determine the relative abundance of each isotope and calculate the atomic number based on the weighted average of the isotopes.

4. How do atomic numbers relate to the number of protons in an element?

The atomic number of an element is equal to the number of protons in its nucleus. This is because the number of protons determines the element's atomic identity and is unique to each element.

5. Can atomic numbers change over time?

The atomic number of an element is a fundamental property and cannot change. However, elements can undergo nuclear reactions and change into different elements with different atomic numbers.