Human Body Systems Music Video

In summary, a high school science teacher with thirty years of experience in schools with below grade level students is seeking feedback on an arts integration project. The conversation also includes a discussion on different learning styles and a humorous music video about bodily organs. The video was created by Harvard medical and dental students and sparked a competition for other organ-themed videos.
stfaivus
TL;DR Summary
Please check out and give feedback on this music video for life science. It shows how and why the blood moves through your body.
I am a high school science teacher working on arts integration for thirty years in schools where many students have academic skills below grade level. I am looking for feedback.

Biology news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

TBH, the video didn't work for me, but I'm a Medic and not a high schooler. So maybe it will serve the purpose in your class. Can you say a bit more about the class where you will use this, and how far below grade level the kids are? I imagine that attention span is an issue, hence the style of the presentation.

And just to be clear, the de-oxygenated blood only looks blue through the skin. When it comes out of the body (like I deal with), it is various shades of red, not blue. :wink:

http://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=2927

Thank you! It is interesting that different people learn in different ways! I like the discussion you shared about the color of blood..

It's not quite as informative, but here' a fairly entertaining music video about the functions of bodily organs:

Ygggdrasil said:
It's not quite as informative, but here' a fairly entertaining music video about the functions of bodily organs:
LMAO, thanks for posting that. Do you know the back story on the video? It looks so polished (and the singing!), that it almost can't be all just medical students producing that in their spare time. Maybe a collaboration between the Medical school and the Arts & Entertainment and Film schools? That is one polished video!

Also love the surgical moulage -- Hey, where did your spleen go...? LOL :smile:

1587685272591.png

berkeman said:
LMAO, thanks for posting that. Do you know the back story on the video? It looks so polished (and the singing!), that it almost can't be all just medical students producing that in their spare time. Maybe a collaboration between the Medical school and the Arts & Entertainment and Film schools? That is one polished video!

This video was created for the 107th Annual Second Year Show by the Harvard Medical School and Harvard School of Dental Medicine class of 2016.
https://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/12...ts-ask-what-does-the-spleen-do-in-new-parody/

Apparently, they launched a competition to get other students to produce more music videos about other organs of the body: http://hmsorganchallenge.blogspot.com/

Sorry @stfaivus, that doesn't do anything for me either. It's lacking in story continuity and almost devoid of story. It takes real concentration to follow the lyrics. Looks more like a cartoonist needed a theme to show off artwork. :cry: :cry:

Hope you find something useful!

Cheers,
Tom

1. What is the purpose of creating a music video about human body systems?

The purpose of creating a music video about human body systems is to make learning about the different systems of the body more engaging and entertaining. By combining music and visuals, it can help students remember and understand the information better.

2. How can a music video accurately depict the complexities of the human body systems?

A music video can accurately depict the complexities of the human body systems by using scientific facts and illustrations in the lyrics and visuals. It can also incorporate animations or real-life footage to further enhance the understanding of the systems.

3. Who benefits from watching a music video about human body systems?

Anyone can benefit from watching a music video about human body systems, but it is especially helpful for students learning about the human body in school. It can also be a fun and informative way for people of all ages to learn about their own bodies.

4. Is there any scientific evidence that supports the effectiveness of using music to learn about human body systems?

Yes, there have been studies that show that music can aid in learning and memory retention. When used in educational settings, music can help students retain information and improve their understanding of complex concepts, such as the human body systems.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using a music video to learn about human body systems?

One potential drawback is that some people may find it difficult to learn through music and visuals, and may prefer traditional methods of learning. Additionally, the accuracy of the information presented in the music video should be carefully evaluated to ensure it is scientifically sound.