Hydrogen ions moving through a battery

In summary, the conversation discusses the movement of hydrogen ions through a battery and the calculation of how long it would take for 1 mole of hydrogen ions to pass through the battery with a current of 6A. The individual asking the question calculated it would take 16,402 seconds, but is unsure if this is correct due to their understanding of what a mole represents.
spaceid

Homework Statement

In one type of battery, the current is carried by hydrogen ions moving through the liquid. If 1A is flowing through the battery, how long will it take for 1 mole of hydrogen ions to move through the battery?

1 mole of protons = 6.0 x 1023 protons
qp = 1.6022 x 10-19 C

Homework Equations

I = Nq

The Attempt at a Solution

First I want to find the number of protons passing through a certain plane of a wire, for example, in a current of 6A. Which I calculated to be 3.74 x 1019 protons using the above equation. Then I did a proportionality. If 3.74 x 1019 protons pass through that plane with a current of 6A in one second, then how long would it take 6.0 x 1023 protons at the same current? I calculated that it would take 16,402 seconds, but this feels like too long of a time. But this may be because I do not have a good understanding of what a mole exactly means. Can someone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
spaceid said:
in a current of 6A. Which I calculated to be 3.74 x 1019 protons using the above equation. Then I did a proportionality. If 3.74 x 1019 protons pass through that plane with a current of 6A in one second, then how long would it take 6.0 x 1023 protons at the same current? I calculated that it would take 16,402 seconds, but this feels like too long of a time.

What makes you think that 16,000 seconds (over 4 hours) is too long? Normally when you do a sanity check, you have a range of acceptable values in mind to compare your answer to. What value were you expecting that is making you think you did something wrong?

spaceid said:
But this may be because I do not have a good understanding of what a mole exactly means

A mole of protons is approximately 6.022*10^23 protons, which is what you have above, so your understanding of what a mole is seems fine.

1. How do hydrogen ions move through a battery?

Hydrogen ions, which are positively charged particles, move through a battery by flowing from the negative terminal (anode) to the positive terminal (cathode) through an electrolyte solution.

2. What is the purpose of hydrogen ions in a battery?

Hydrogen ions play a crucial role in generating an electrical current in a battery. As they move through the battery, they create a flow of electrons which can be harnessed to power devices.

3. How do hydrogen ions interact with the battery's electrodes?

When hydrogen ions reach the anode, they give up their electrons and become neutral atoms. These electrons then flow through the external circuit, creating an electric current. On the other hand, at the cathode, the hydrogen ions combine with electrons and oxygen from the air to form water.

4. What factors affect the movement of hydrogen ions in a battery?

The movement of hydrogen ions in a battery is influenced by several factors, including the type of electrolyte used, the concentration of hydrogen ions in the solution, and the surface area and composition of the electrodes.

5. Can hydrogen ions be replenished in a battery?

No, hydrogen ions cannot be replenished in a battery. As they move through the battery and are converted into water, they are no longer available to generate an electric current. This is why batteries eventually run out of power and need to be replaced or recharged.