I am 14 years old and made a chemistry software

In summary: But there was no way to interact with them. And what about atoms and molecules?I think the program should help students understand how atoms and molecules are related to each other and how they interact. For example, the program could help students understand how atoms and molecules are arranged in molecules, and how elements are combined to create different molecules. Additionally, the program could help students learn about the geometry of molecules, and how they are related to the electronic structure of atoms.Yes, the program includes the ability to create molecules and atoms. The user can also view the geometry and electronic structure of molecules and atoms. Additionally, the user can Mass Balance and Charge Balance chemical reactions.
QuantumEngine
Hello everyone. I am a 14 year old student and am truly fascinated by chemistry.
As I tried various software, they all had a very complicated UI (User Interface) and confused me a lot as a younger student. After searching a lot, I decided to make my own chemistry software. This is the final result after 5 months of work.

What could I add to the software?

Are there any very important things I should work on?

I have a pretty good understanding (I learn everything from internet, I already know the things we learn in class) on how it all works, so just comment everything you can think of!

PS: I am now working on better scaling. I totally forgot that there are things called "atom radii".

Edited by mentor

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Your software looks very good for a start. One thing we couldn't determine from the video was how it would be used by someone designing a molecule.

Do you just select atoms and then move them to create a molecule? Or does your program have the smarts to figure that out and bond them properly?

Have you looked at other programming systems like processing.org IDE to develop your application?

Lastly, we had to remove the link to steam as it looked a lot like an advertizement and we don't allow that on PF.

Is there a link to the software or video?

DrDu said:
Is there a link to the software or video?

Yes there was but we had to remove it due to PF rules. Basically it was a video on Steam showing a molecule being self-assembled on screen. We couldn't read any of its menus or really understand how the software assembled the molecule but we wanted to encourage the OP to talk about his project and discover new features that he could add.

Perhaps he could provide screenshots of the software instead uploaded to PF directly.

Likes berkeman
To understand chemistry, two ideas have to be combined: 1. the electronic interactions between atoms (and molecules) and 2. The geometry (3D shape) of the combinations of atoms we call "chemical compounds". I'd expect that a good software program would be able to help a student understand both of those topics. The geometry is more visual in nature, and is straightfoward (but learning about chiral isotopes is less intuitive, imho) to diplay graphically. The electronic stuff is harder, and any "textbook" (paper, electronic, or a program) has to decide on the depth of the treatment. Charge (electrons, protons,(neutrons), nuclei, atoms, ions) is usually first. Then comes the periodic table and the octet rule. While all this is being introduced, mass balance, charge balance of chemical reaction (equations) is being taught. Finally, if a little bit about the violations of the octet rule, polymers, as well as the (organic) chemistry of carbon and proteins and DNA is presented, you'll have a program which is good up to and past the high school level.

From the video I am not convinced there were any chemistry in the program - it looked just like a marble playground. Yes, marbles were marked with the element symbols.

What is the purpose of your chemistry software?

The purpose of my chemistry software is to provide a user-friendly platform for individuals to learn and practice various chemistry concepts, such as the periodic table, chemical reactions, and molecular structures.

What is the target audience for your software?

The target audience for my software is primarily students aged 14 and above who are interested in learning and improving their understanding of chemistry. However, anyone can use the software to enhance their knowledge of chemistry.

What features does your software offer?

My software offers a variety of features, including an interactive periodic table, chemical reaction simulations, 3D molecule visualization, and practice quizzes. It also provides detailed explanations and feedback for each activity to aid in learning.

Is your software scientifically accurate?

Yes, my software is based on scientifically accurate information and concepts. I have consulted with experts in the field of chemistry to ensure the accuracy of the content and simulations included in the software.

How can I access your chemistry software?

My chemistry software is available for download on various platforms, such as desktop computers and mobile devices. It can also be accessed online through a web browser. Additionally, the software is constantly being updated and improved, so users can expect to receive regular updates and new features.