I determining what kind of processor I have

• Thread starter radar24
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Processor
In summary, the person needs help determining if their laptop is dual core or dual processor in order to use Linux, and they have a 550 @ 2.00GHz processor. They have attached a screenshot of their system page and are wondering if this means they have two processors running at 550@2GHz or if that is the total speed. The expert suggests that it is a single core processor and recommends trying different Linux distros such as VectorLinux or Lubuntu. They also mention that a server edition of Linux could be used if the user is comfortable with a command line interface and no GUI.
radar24

Homework Statement

May someone please tell me how to figure out if my laptop is dual core or dual processor?
My professor told me to start using linux and I would prefer to do so on my laptop, but I do not know if it can be supported.

Homework Equations

control panel>system and security>system

my processor is labelled 550 @ 2.00GHz 2.00 GHz
I attached a screen shot of my system page.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know whether this means I have two processors running 550@2GHz or if that is the total.
Is it a dual core
or are there two processors?

Attachments

• help processor identification.jpg
    help processor identification.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 454
Computer science news on Phys.org
radar24 said:
My professor told me to start using linux and I would prefer to do so on my laptop, but I do not know if it can be supported.
Could you please explain what you mean by this?

Yes , you can run Linux on your PC.
There are many distros available for your pc.
You can try running VectorLinux , or Lubuntu if you want a GUI interface with smooth operation.
O/w you can go for older version of Ubuntu.

If you want to go for Server edition , it will run fine. Server edition requires less resources but has command line input and no GUI.

I would suggest checking the specifications of your laptop model to determine if it has a dual core or dual processor. This information can usually be found on the manufacturer's website or in the user manual. Additionally, you can check the task manager on your laptop to see the number of cores and processors being utilized. If it shows two cores and two processors, then you have a dual core processor. If it shows two cores and one processor, then you have a single processor with dual cores. If you are still unsure, you can also consult with a computer technician for further assistance. Once you have determined the type of processor your laptop has, you can then check if it is compatible with the Linux operating system.

What is a processor and why is it important?

A processor is a hardware component in a computer that performs calculations, executes instructions, and manages the flow of data. It is important because it is essentially the brain of the computer and determines its speed and performance.

How do I determine what kind of processor I have?

To determine your processor, you can either check the label on your computer or use the System Information tool on your computer. On a Windows computer, you can access this tool by typing "System Information" in the search bar. On a Mac, you can find it by clicking on the Apple logo and selecting "About This Mac".

What are the different types of processors?

There are two main types of processors - Intel and AMD. Within each brand, there are different generations and model numbers that determine their speed and capabilities. Some common processor models include Intel Core i3, i5, and i7, and AMD Ryzen 3, 5, and 7.

How do I know if my processor is outdated?

If your computer is running slow, freezing frequently, or taking a long time to open programs, it may be a sign that your processor is outdated. You can also check the release date of your processor model to see how old it is compared to newer models.

Can I upgrade my processor?

In most cases, it is possible to upgrade your processor. However, it may require technical knowledge and compatibility checks to ensure that the new processor is compatible with your computer's motherboard and other components. It is recommended to consult a professional before attempting to upgrade your processor.