I don't get a step with this quadratic question

Nathi ORea
Homework Statement
I did the example, and actually got the same answer (0.215), but am a little confused how they did it.

So I did ; 16 - 4 x 5 x -1 = 28.

Then they factorise it into 4 x 7 for some reason.... then I have no idea what wizardry they perform on the next line.
Relevant Equations
Appreciate any help.
IMG_6643.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Yup. So I used b2 - 4ac to find 28. All good. but I am not sure why they factorised 28?

Nathi ORea said:
Yup. So I used b2 - 4ac to find 28. All good. but I am not sure why they factorised 28?
Because they know they are about to take the square root and will want to bring the two outside of it. They are being overly descriptive.

Likes Nathi ORea
What rule says you can bring the 2 outside of it?

##\sqrt{ab}=\sqrt{a} \sqrt{b}##

Likes Nathi ORea and pinball1970
Oh. I see. I haven't got to that section yet. Thank you!

Likes Frabjous
Nathi ORea said:
They are probably assuming that you already know this (i.e., there is not a section coming) so you will probably want to review this on your own.

Likes scottdave, MatinSAR and Nathi ORea
Nathi ORea said:
So I did ; 16 - 4 x 5 x -1 = 28.
Typo in your work. The above should be ##16 - 4(3)(-1) = 28##.
Nathi ORea said:
So I used b2 - 4ac to find 28.
You've been a member here for almost three years. Please take the time to learn at least the rudiments of how to write mathematical expressions. At the very least, b^2 - 4ac. Better yet, using LaTeX to write ##b^2 - 4ac##. When you're creating a post, there's a link to our LaTeX tutorial in the lower left corner.

Likes MatinSAR, Nathi ORea and WWGD
As Mark suggested, just wrap the expression b^2-4ac with ## tags for a start.

Likes Nathi ORea
Nathi ORea said:
It's a convention to take any square factors out of a square root. For example, if you ended up with ##\sqrt 4##, that wouldn't be wrong in itself. But, the convention is to write that as ##\sqrt 4 = 2##.

And, if you have ##\sqrt{28}##, then again you are expected to look for square factors. In this case, ##28## has a factor of ##4##. So, you are expected to write ##\sqrt{28} = 2\sqrt 7##.

Note that some mathematicians take this sort of thing very seriously indeed and that leaving something as ##\sqrt{28}## ought to be punishable by a jail term. I don't see that it matters much, but perhaps that's why I'm not a mathematician.

• Haha
Likes MatinSAR, Steve4Physics, SammyS and 2 others
PeroK said:
It's a convention to take any square factors out of a square root. For example, if you ended up with ##\sqrt 4##, that wouldn't be wrong in itself. But, the convention is to write that as ##\sqrt 4 = 2##.

And, if you have ##\sqrt{28}##, then again you are expected to look for square factors. In this case, ##28## has a factor of ##4##. So, you are expected to write ##\sqrt{28} = 2\sqrt 7##.

Note that some mathematicians take this sort of thing very seriously indeed and that leaving something as ##\sqrt{28}## ought to be punishable by a jail term. I don't see that it matters much, but perhaps that's why I'm not a mathematician.
Ahhhh.. so that’s why they did it! Thank you very much 🙏

PeroK said:

If one is looking for a numeric result, ie, a decimal answer (such as the 0.215 quoted in the OP), today you simply punch "SQRT 28" into your hand calculator and move on. That's actually fewer keys pressed than "2 times SQRT 7". In the old days, I think algebra lessons stopped at ##2\sqrt 7##. Maybe because evaluating ##\sqrt 7## was an exercise in table lookups, or log tables, or slide rules; and these were topics/skills mastered prior to algebra.

Likes PeroK

1. Why is it important to understand quadratic equations?

Quadratic equations are used to model many real-life situations, such as projectile motion, population growth, and financial analysis. Understanding them allows us to make predictions and solve problems in various fields of science and engineering.

2. What is the general form of a quadratic equation?

The general form of a quadratic equation is ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. This form is also known as the standard form.

3. How do I solve a quadratic equation?

There are several methods for solving quadratic equations, including factoring, completing the square, and using the quadratic formula. The method you choose depends on the specific equation and your personal preferences.

4. What is the discriminant and how is it used in quadratic equations?

The discriminant is the part of the quadratic formula under the square root sign, b^2 - 4ac. It tells us the nature of the solutions to the equation. If the discriminant is positive, the equation has two distinct real solutions. If it is zero, there is one real solution. And if it is negative, there are no real solutions.

5. Can quadratic equations have imaginary solutions?

Yes, quadratic equations can have imaginary solutions when the discriminant is negative. In this case, the solutions are complex numbers in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (i = √-1).