I need guidance about what to study in physics

In summary, the conversation revolves around a high school senior who is interested in studying physics, specifically relativity or quantum mechanics. However, they are conflicted about what course of action to take and are seeking recommendations. The advice given is to not specialize too early and to focus on learning all aspects of physics before deciding on a specific field. It is also mentioned that undergraduate physics degrees are not specialized and that the curriculum will guide the student in their studies. Additionally, the conversation highlights that interests and career paths may change over time.
Jacob52
I'm a senior in high school and I'm in AP Physics C: Mechanics and AP Calculus AB. I am conflicted in deciding what to study in physics. I want to study relativity or quantum mechanics. If there is a course of action, textbook, website, or any other recommendations please leave a comment. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't you think it is just a little bit early to be trying to commit to a single field? The reasons the curriculum is so broad is, in part, so that you will gain an exposure to things you now know nothing about. Wait until you get a little bit further in before you try to specialize. For now, try to learn everything that comes along.

I guarantee that you'll study quantum mechanics because it's one of the core subjects of any undergraduate physics degree. You'll also study some special relativity as part of your core courses. General relativity is an optional elective probably in the senior year at most schools.

Undergraduate physics degrees are mostly generic, not specialized.

Thank you both, I was also quite concerned about fixating on specializing but it's all I've been thinking about.

I'm also very eager to learn physics, but I don't know what course of action I should take.

Jacob52 said:
I'm also very eager to learn physics, but I don't know what course of action I should take.

If you are going to major in physics when you go to college, this "course of action" will be presented to you in the form of the "curriculum".

Also note that in my unscientific career poll on this forum, what you think you want to specialize in at this stage of your life will more likely NOT be what you will end up with in your career.

Zz.

1. What are the main areas of study in physics?

The main areas of study in physics include classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and relativity. These areas cover everything from the motion of objects to the behavior of particles and fields, as well as the study of energy and its transformations.

2. What are some recommended courses for someone interested in studying physics?

Some recommended courses for someone interested in studying physics include introductory courses in mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and modern physics. As students progress, they may also want to take courses in specific areas of interest, such as astrophysics, biophysics, or condensed matter physics.

3. What skills are necessary to succeed in physics?

To succeed in physics, one needs a strong foundation in mathematics, critical thinking skills, and an ability to think abstractly and solve complex problems. It is also important to have good laboratory skills and the ability to communicate and collaborate with others.

4. What types of careers are available for physics graduates?

Physics graduates have a wide range of career options available to them, including research positions in academia, industry, and government labs. They can also pursue careers in fields such as engineering, finance, data science, and education. Many physics graduates also go on to pursue advanced degrees in areas such as physics, engineering, or medicine.

5. How can I decide what area of physics to focus on?

One way to decide what area of physics to focus on is to explore different topics through courses, research opportunities, and internships. You can also talk to professors, professionals in the field, and other students to gain insights and advice. It is also important to consider your own interests and strengths when choosing a focus area.