I thought it was 2 weeks to get adjusted to less sleep?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Raizy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sleep
In summary, the speaker has been trying to get used to 5 to 8 hours of sleep for a month but still struggles with oversleeping on some days. They mention feeling tired upon waking but able to stay awake in class and at home. They question how long it will take for their body to adapt to this sleep schedule and wonder if sleeping in on weekends will affect their progress. They also mention previously sleeping in for longer hours and sometimes forcing themselves back to sleep. The speaker acknowledges the importance of a healthy lifestyle in reducing the need for sleep.
Raizy
I've been trying to get used to 5 to 8 hours of sleep, 6.5 hours per day on average for a month now. There are still some days where I just want to sleep in, and if I do sleep in I'll oversleep for 12 hours. Here is the thing, I can easily run on less than 7 hours of sleep, but when I wake up I always feel tired for the first 10 minutes upon waking, but that's probably normal. Then a few hours later, while sitting in class, I'll want to go for a nap, but it's easy to stay awake. When I get home from school I'll get the same sensation - again, it's easy to stay awake.

So, how much longer until my body gets used to 6 to 8 hours of sleep, everyday? If I sleep in during the weekends, will this hamper my "adaptive progress"? Should I really try and wake up at the same time every day, regardless if I'll only sleep for 3 to 5 hours before waking?

Other notes: In the last 2 years, I was used to sleeping in for longer hours; I stayed in bed anywhere from 9 to 12 hours. I sometimes forced myself back to sleep because it just feels so comfortable... my bed.

Biology news on Phys.org
Hmm I know exactly what you are talking about... I want to stay in bed a little longer because it's so cozy and warm, and afterwards I hate myself for spoiling half my morning. When I get up early, I have no problems at all, but the next day I'm tired (even if I get a long night's sleep that night), especially around 11 am and in the late afternoon (around 4).

So basically, this is a auto-subscribe-to-thread post :smile:

You can't train yourself to need less sleep: you need what you need and the need is essentially cumulative (when you sleep late on the weekend, you are making up for the deprivation during the week).

You can, however, reduce the need by living a healthier lifestyle. Exercise, in particular, improves sleep and reduces the duration.

What is the recommended amount of sleep per night?

The National Sleep Foundation recommends that adults between the ages of 18-64 get 7-9 hours of sleep per night for optimal health and functioning.

Can a person adjust to less sleep over time?

Yes, a person may be able to adjust to less sleep over time, but it is not recommended. Consistently getting less than the recommended amount of sleep can lead to negative effects on physical and mental health.

How long does it take to adjust to less sleep?

The amount of time it takes to adjust to less sleep varies for each individual. Some people may adjust within a few days, while others may take several weeks. However, it is important to note that even if a person feels adjusted, their body may still be experiencing negative effects from lack of sleep.

What are the effects of consistently getting less sleep?

Consistently getting less sleep than recommended can lead to a variety of negative effects, such as decreased cognitive function, mood changes, weakened immune system, and increased risk of chronic health conditions.

What can be done to improve sleep quality?

To improve sleep quality, it is recommended to establish a consistent bedtime routine, create a comfortable sleep environment, and limit screen time before bed. Additionally, avoiding caffeine and heavy meals close to bedtime and practicing relaxation techniques can also help improve sleep quality.