I want to study real physics as a beginner

In summary: There is no requirement to know calculus in order to understand physics. However, if you want to understand physics in a more rigorous way, you may want to study calculus.
nivek
Physics has always intrigued me and being that I love science, I think this would be a great opportunity to gain knowledge. I am currently a freshman in high school and I find that most of the things be taught here, how should I say this? Boring. Since I want to start physics and being that I am a beginner it would be great if this community would point me at the right direction as to where to start. My goal currently is to find a few books to read and learn about physics as a beginner.

PS. I have no knowledge of calculus

Physics news on Phys.org
nivek said:
Physics has always intrigued me and being that I love science, I think this would be a great opportunity to gain knowledge. I am currently a freshman in high school and I find that most of the things be taught here, how should I say this? Boring. Since I want to start physics and being that I am a beginner it would be great if this community would point me at the right direction as to where to start. My goal currently is to find a few books to read and learn about physics as a beginner.

PS. I have no knowledge of calculus

If you want to study real and actual physics, you better start by getting good at math, particularly calculus. So what math are you comfortable with and what math not at all? Do you know trigonometry, geometry? If so, you can start studying calculus.

Likes Student100
micromass said:
If you want to study real and actual physics, you better start by getting good at math, particularly calculus. So what math are you comfortable with and what math not at all? Do you know trigonometry, geometry? If so, you can start studying calculus.

I have done SOME geometry and trigonometry, I am currently doing honors algebra and most likely moving up to honors geometry next year when I am a sophomore.

nivek said:
I have done SOME geometry and trigonometry, I am currently doing honors algebra and most likely moving up to honors geometry next year when I am a sophomore.

Well, you need to be extremely comfortable with trigonometry. So you might want to fix that first, and then you can do calculus.

micromass said:
Well, you need to be extremely comfortable with trigonometry. So you might want to fix that first, and then you can do calculus.
Where shall I start then?

nivek said:
Where shall I start then?

Do Geometry, then take Trig or Pre-Calculus.

Student100 said:
Do Geometry, then take Trig or Pre-Calculus.
Is there a possibility I can read any books? for beginners?

What is "real physics"?

Zz.

That was my first thought, too. Maybe experiments - as compared to "virtual" pen&paper calculations or computer simulations. But experience tells me that is not what the average person on the Internet considers "real physics".

Is there anything I can read on? Without knowing calculus or any of the above I haven't started yet?

nivek said:
Is there anything I can read on? Without knowing calculus or any of the above I haven't started yet?

There are plenty of pop-science books that you can read, and most of them don't require a lot of math. But that is no different than trying to learn French but by reading an English translation.

I still want to know what you mean by "real physics". As a physicist, I want to know what someone like you deem something to be real physics.

Zz.

nivek said:

Sure, there's a lot you can read on without requirement basic high school math. But I wouldn't count any of it as real physics (whatever that means to you, I don't know). You can probably have quite a bit of fun with some experimental physics and chemistry though. They sell quite a lot of experiment kits where you can learn quite a bit of things with. No math required.

micromass said:
Sure, there's a lot you can read on without requirement basic high school math. But I wouldn't count any of it as real physics (whatever that means to you, I don't know). You can probably have quite a bit of fun with some experimental physics and chemistry though. They sell quite a lot of experiment kits where you can learn quite a bit of things with. No math required.
Do you recommend any books?

nivek said:
Do you recommend any books?

Books on what topic exactly? Did you see my link in my previous posts?

micromass said:
Books on what topic exactly? Did you see my link in my previous posts?
Meaning is there a possibility that I can understand physics without the calculus? That may seem a little odd. Are there any physics books like that?

Calculus was invented exactly for the reason that it was a logical method for making observational/empirical physics understandable.

rootone said:
Calculus was invented exactly for the reason that it was a logical method for making observational/empirical physics understandable.
So there's no way of me understand physics if I don't learn calculus/ the basics first correct?

Nivek study nyc regents physics if you want real physics with no calculus.

nivek said:
So there's no way of me understand physics if I don't learn calculus/ the basics first correct?

Learn the basics, then take AP physics in high school. If it isn't offered, enroll in a CC while in high school. There's no point rushing, learn what needs to be learned at the moment.

I note that Student100 advises: Learn what needs to be learned a t the moment. The OP (original poster) does not say what science the student is currently taking in school. I second S100's advice. When you apply to college, they are going to look at grades in biology, chemistry and or Earth science as well as physics. In addition you may want recommendations from the biology teacher (I remember I did). Try to develop interests in all sciences. Most successful scientists are pretty well-rounded.

You (the OP) brings up an interesting point. I think many responses suggested that studying what has pejoratively called "pop" science usually before the college level is not worth anything. Perhaps this is true if you are trying to get college credit. However I contend that your exposure to "pop" science at the elementary level can enhance your interest, and sustain you later in life. Looking back, when I was having a hard time doing difficult problem sets in physics from graduate and upper undergraduate textbooks, I would ask myself, "What am I doing all this hard work for?" Most often I thought back to how I felt when I started out learning the "pop" physics as a pre-teen and teen.

I can recommend Matter, Earth and Sky, by George Gamow. Mr. Tompkins by George Gamow. Non-fiction books by Asimov. Perhaps, Conceptual Physics by Hewitt. Some of these might be hard to obtain. I know Matter Earth Sky is really old. Intelligent Man's guide to physical science by Asimov is even older.

Nivek suggests the New York State Regents Book for Physics is physics without calculus. I just took some exams after finding the book in the store. I think the topics introduced in the blue book accompanying the test book is quite good.

You may want to try Basic Physics by Karl F. Kuhn. It's "real" physics with easy math.

Try downloading free books from www.ck12.org. The site has free conceptual and "real" books. You have to sign in as a member (free signup using your email address). National Council of Educational Research and Training also has free books for download. I forgot the exact site for download. Kindly google "NCERT."

You may want to try the Demystified and For Dummies books. You have to try and err before you can find the book that suits your need and level of understanding.

I always make it a point to read more than one book (different authors and publishers) because my favorite book may be weak at explaining a topic that the other book/s can explain well.

Good luck.

Related to I want to study real physics as a beginner

1. What is the best way to start studying real physics as a beginner?

The best way to start studying real physics as a beginner is to first familiarize yourself with the basic concepts and principles of physics, such as motion, forces, energy, and matter. It is also important to develop strong mathematical skills, as physics relies heavily on mathematical equations and calculations. Additionally, it is helpful to read introductory textbooks or take online courses to gain a deeper understanding of the subject.

2. Is it necessary to have a strong background in mathematics to study real physics?

While having a strong background in mathematics can be beneficial, it is not necessarily a requirement to study real physics as a beginner. It is possible to learn and understand the basic concepts of physics without advanced mathematical knowledge. However, as you progress in your studies, having a solid understanding of mathematical concepts will greatly aid in your understanding of physics.

3. How can I apply real physics to everyday life?

Real physics can be applied to everyday life in various ways. For example, understanding the laws of motion can help explain why objects fall to the ground, or why a car moves in a certain direction. Understanding the principles of energy can help explain the concepts of work, power, and electricity. Additionally, the study of real physics can also help us understand the world on a deeper level and make informed decisions about technology and the environment.

4. Are there any hands-on activities or experiments I can do as a beginner to learn about real physics?

Yes, there are many hands-on activities and experiments that can help beginners learn about real physics. These can include building simple machines, conducting basic experiments with gravity and motion, or even participating in science fairs. These activities can help reinforce the concepts learned in textbooks and make the subject more engaging and enjoyable.

5. What career opportunities are available for someone studying real physics?

There are many career opportunities available for someone studying real physics, including research and development, engineering, teaching, and even working in the aerospace or technology industries. A strong understanding of physics can also open up opportunities in other fields such as computer science and finance, as many industries rely on the principles of physics in their work. Additionally, studying real physics can also lead to advanced degrees and opportunities in academia and scientific research.