I would like advice from physics majors please Thinking of changing major

In summary, if you are considering switching from math/chemistry to physics, it is important to research the different fields within physics and the opportunities for undergraduate research at your institution. Graduate school in physics can be competitive, but offers the chance to conduct research and gain experience. Finding a job as a professor can also be challenging, but networking and building a strong resume can increase your chances of success.
cytochrome
I'm a math/chemistry major and thinking of changing to physics after a few classes and research experiences in physical chemistry I've had.

I would like to know what it's like, what to expect, etc... How is the undergraduate research at your institutions and what do you normally do in the lab? I'm familiar with physical chemistry/spectroscopy techniques but what kind of research involves "pure" physics?

I also would like to know what graduate school is like and how hard it is to find a job as a professor.

I'd like views from both the theoretical and experimental sides if possible.

Physics news on Phys.org
Undergraduate research in physics can involve a variety of topics such as particle physics, cosmology, astrophysics, condensed matter physics, and more. Depending on the institution you choose, there may be opportunities to work in a lab with a professor or to participate in an independent research project. The type of research you do will depend on the field you are interested in, but it could include anything from theoretical calculations to experimental work. You may also have the opportunity to work with a graduate student or postdoctoral researcher to develop your skills and gain more experience.Graduate school in physics can be very competitive, depending on the school and program you are applying for. It is important to research the requirements and expectations of the program you are interested in, and to make sure you are well prepared for the application process. Once in graduate school, you will usually have the opportunity to conduct research with a professor or in an independent project, further deepening your knowledge and expertise in the field. During your studies, you will likely take additional classes and seminars, and participate in workshops and conferences.Finding a job as a professor can be difficult, as there is a lot of competition for these positions. It is important to network with faculty and other professionals in your field, and to build your resume through research and teaching experiences during your studies. Additionally, having a strong publication record and references can be very helpful in this process. Good luck!

Related to I would like advice from physics majors please Thinking of changing major

1. What are the main benefits of majoring in physics?

Majoring in physics can lead to a wide range of career opportunities, including research and development, engineering, teaching, and data analysis. It also provides a strong foundation in critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills, which are highly valued in many industries.

2. What skills do physics majors typically develop?

Physics majors develop a range of technical skills, such as mathematical modeling, data analysis, and computer programming. They also develop skills in critical thinking, problem-solving, and experimental design, as well as communication and teamwork skills.

3. How can a physics major benefit me in the job market?

A physics major can make you a competitive candidate in a variety of industries, including technology, finance, and healthcare. The skills and knowledge gained through a physics major are highly transferable and can be applied to a wide range of job roles.

4. What are the potential challenges of majoring in physics?

Physics can be a challenging major, requiring a strong foundation in mathematics and a willingness to think abstractly. The coursework can also be rigorous and time-consuming, with a heavy emphasis on problem-solving and laboratory work. However, with dedication and hard work, these challenges can be overcome.

5. What are some common careers for physics majors?

Physics majors can pursue a variety of careers, including research and development, engineering, data analysis, and teaching. They can also work in industries such as technology, finance, and healthcare. Some may also choose to further their education and pursue graduate studies in physics or a related field.