Ideal advisor wary of my lack of knowledge in biochem....

In summary, during a meeting with their top choice for a research advisor, the speaker was advised to contact the professor at the end of the semester to see how things go with other candidates and to show interest and enthusiasm for the professor's work. The speaker is considering asking for recommended materials on biochemistry, despite not having much time due to other graduate classes. However, this could potentially show the professor that the speaker is proactive and serious about their interests. The downside is that the speaker may spend time learning something they may not ultimately need, but the risk is worth it to potentially secure a spot in the professor's research group. The key is to stay in contact with the professor and ask meaningful questions about the material. Overall, this would be
Vannay
I'm in a physics graduate program shopping around for research advisors and I met with my number one pick today. He works with biological systems using calorimetry and other lab methods a biologist would know. He saw my enthusiasm and liked it but was wary about my lack of biochem knowledge. He said for me to contact him at the end of the semester to see how things go with other candidates and how my interests evolve. I really would love to be in this group and I've been thinking about what would be a good sign for him.

Would asking him for recommended books/material on biochemistry be helpful at all? I would obviously read and study them (granted I don't have THAT much time taking my other grad classes). Would he be more likely to look at that as being proactive and enthusiastic or could he look at it as desperate?

With whatever group I'm ultimately in, I will need biochemistry knowledge anyway so its not like it would be for nothing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, show him you're serious and interested and learn as much as you can from his project.

Think of it this way one you are networking, you are learning his project and he knows it and two it becomes a no-brainer for him to seriously consider you over a more unknown student whom he has yet to figure out.

The downside is that you've spent some time learning something you may not need but I think the risk here is worth it. The key is to keep in contact with him, ask questions about the things you're learning but make sure the questions are worthy of the professor and not simple newbie ones.

Likes Vannay
It is most definitely a very good sign. Ask him for specific recommendations. Study it very seriously. This can only be positive, since if you don't get accepted, you'll still know some cool stuff.

Likes Vannay

What is biochemistry?

Biochemistry is the study of the chemical processes and substances that occur within living organisms.

Why is it important to have a knowledgeable advisor in biochemistry?

An advisor with knowledge in biochemistry can provide guidance and support in navigating the complex concepts and experiments involved in this field of study.

What should I do if my advisor is wary of my lack of knowledge in biochemistry?

You can take initiative to learn more about the subject through additional research and coursework. It is also important to communicate openly with your advisor and ask for their guidance and feedback.

What resources are available for me to improve my knowledge in biochemistry?

There are a variety of resources available, such as textbooks, online courses, and scientific journals. Your advisor can also recommend specific resources based on your individual needs.

How can I make the most out of my relationship with my advisor in biochemistry?

Maintaining open communication, actively seeking feedback, and being proactive in your learning are key to making the most out of your relationship with your advisor. Additionally, showing dedication and a strong work ethic can help build a positive and productive relationship.