Ideas for a Senior Project in Photovoltaics

TheIn summary, a student is looking for a senior project idea related to PV technology. They have considered improving the efficiency of a solar cell using a lens setup, but have been told it won't work. They are seeking suggestions for a detailed experiment or project that will demonstrate their knowledge and skills in conducting experiments, writing reports, and presenting findings. One suggestion is to create a solar tracker using a stepper or dc motor controlled by a microcontroller.
Moneer81
Hello,

I am trying to come up with a good senior project for my physics degree. I am really interested in PV and I have spent a lot of time researching the literature and whatnot but haven't been able to come up with an original idea for a project. My first idea was improving the efficiency of a solar cell using some kind of a lens setup but so far everyone I've been consulting assured me that it won't work. My professors aren't much help because not too many of them are very knowledgeable about solar technology and I don't feel like changing my project into something else completely different. Any suggestions on an experiment or a project I could do? I need to give a half hour presentation on it and write a report so it should be slightly detailed but it doesn't have to be real advanced. The goal is to show that I know how to perform an experiment, write a report, and present my findings, even if the experiment was a failure. That being said, I'd like to do something slightly original and challenging, or something that I could investigate its physics.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what your budget is, but the best project I can think of using PV cells is a solar tracker. If you are good at programming you can make use of a stepper or a dc motor (to orient the sensor array) that can be controlled by a microcontroller like PIC, Atmega etc.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out about your senior project in photovoltaics. It's great to hear that you are interested in this field and have already done some research on the topic.

One potential idea for your project could be to investigate the effect of different materials on the efficiency of a solar cell. You could design and build your own solar cell using different materials, such as different types of silicon or other semiconductors, and test their efficiency under various conditions. This could involve varying factors such as temperature, light intensity, and angle of incidence.

Another idea could be to explore the use of solar panels in different environments, such as urban versus rural areas, and how the surrounding conditions affect their performance. This could involve setting up solar panels in different locations and measuring their output over time.

You could also consider studying the impact of different wavelengths of light on solar cell efficiency. This could involve using filters to isolate specific wavelengths and measuring the resulting change in efficiency.

Overall, the key is to design an experiment that is both original and scientifically rigorous. I suggest consulting with your professors and other experts in the field to discuss your ideas and get their input on the feasibility and potential impact of your project.

Good luck with your project and I look forward to hearing about your findings!

Best,

Related to Ideas for a Senior Project in Photovoltaics

1. What is photovoltaics?

Photovoltaics is the conversion of light energy into electricity using semiconducting materials. This process involves the use of solar cells, which absorb sunlight and convert it into electrical energy.

2. How can I come up with ideas for a senior project in photovoltaics?

One way to generate ideas for a senior project in photovoltaics is to research current developments and innovations in the field. You can also consider practical applications of photovoltaics, such as off-grid solar systems or solar-powered devices. Additionally, talking to professors and experts in the field can also help generate ideas.

3. What are some potential topics for a senior project in photovoltaics?

Some potential topics for a senior project in photovoltaics could include designing and building a solar-powered device, analyzing the efficiency of different types of solar cells, or exploring the use of photovoltaics in sustainable energy systems.

4. Do I need any special equipment or materials for a senior project in photovoltaics?

The equipment and materials needed for a senior project in photovoltaics will depend on the specific topic and scope of the project. However, some common materials used in photovoltaic projects include solar cells, wiring, and basic electronic components. Your university or research facility may also have access to specialized equipment for testing and analyzing solar cells.

5. Can a senior project in photovoltaics have real-world applications?

Yes, a senior project in photovoltaics can definitely have real-world applications. In fact, many senior projects in this field aim to develop practical solutions for current energy and sustainability challenges. By conducting thorough research and testing, your project could potentially contribute to the advancement of photovoltaic technology and its real-world applications.