Identify if the given salt is acidic or not

• Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Salt
In summary, the conversation discusses how to identify whether a given salt is acidic, basic, or neutral. It is mentioned that for mineral acids containing oxygen and with a single central atom, Pauling's rule can be used to determine their strength. However, this is a limited rule and previous knowledge is often relied upon. Carboxylic acids are generally weak, but exceptions exist. The H+ ion concentration theory is also mentioned, but it is not useful in predicting acid strength. An example is given of two solutions, one with a higher H+ concentration but a lower pH, showing that H+ concentration is not an accurate indicator of acid strength. The conversation ends with a clarification on the use of brackets to represent concentration and a reminder to
Saitama
I have been coming across some questions which asks to identify whether the given salt is acidic, basic or neutral.
I solve them like this:-
For example the salt is NaCl, the answer is neutral as NaOH and HCl are strong base and strong acid respectively.

But for problems like KF:-
I was confused on this one. I thought that KOH is a strong base and about HF i didn't know anything about it. I was not able to think whether HF is strong or weak acid.

Is there any way to find whether the given acid or base is strong or weak?

Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
HF is a moderate acid (which some authors will consider it weak), so KF is basic.

There are no definite rules for determining whether an acid is weak or strong. For mineral acids containing oxygen and with a single central atom, you may use Pauling's rule:

number of oxygens - number of hydrogens

HClO4 → 4 - 1 = 3 (very strong acid)
H2SO4 → 4 - 2 = 2 (strong acid)
H2SO3 → 3 - 2 = 1 (moderate acid)
H3BO3 → 3 - 3 = 0 (weak acid)

Notice, however, that this is a very limited rule, and is mostly a rule of thumb than a precise statement of an acid's strength.

I usually rely on previous knowledge for all the other acids. Carboxylic acids are weak, except when the carbon near the carboxyl is bonded to an electronegative group. I know the strength of other acids by practice.

Simplest approach is to remember strong acids - everything you don't remember is weak.

Borek said:
Simplest approach is to remember strong acids - everything you don't remember is weak.

:rofl: True. That works too.

Borek said:

I will go with this one. :rofl:

Acut said:
HF is a moderate acid (which some authors will consider it weak), so KF is basic.

There are no definite rules for determining whether an acid is weak or strong. For mineral acids containing oxygen and with a single central atom, you may use Pauling's rule:

Notice, however, that this is a very limited rule, and is mostly a rule of thumb than a precise statement of an acid's strength.

I usually rely on previous knowledge for all the other acids. Carboxylic acids are weak, except when the carbon near the carboxyl is bonded to an electronegative group. I know the strength of other acids by practice.

Thanks about the info! :smile:

Can you give me some examples of strong carboxylic acids?

Acut said:

What about the H+ ion concentration theory?

rktpro said:
What about the H+ ion concentration theory?

Please elaborate, no idea what theory you mean. H+ concentration is a property of a solution, not of an acid. It is useless in the context of predicting acid strength.

Borek said:
Please elaborate, no idea what theory you mean. H+ concentration is a property of a solution, not of an acid. It is useless in the context of predicting acid strength.

Arrhenius Theory, that a strong acid produces more H+ ions on dissociation(yes, in form of solution in water) than a weak acid. In case of bases it is the OH concentration which is taken into account.

rktpro said:
Arrhenius Theory, that a strong acid produces more H+ ions on dissociation(yes, in form of solution in water) than a weak acid. In case of bases it is the OH concentration which is taken into account.

But here that's not going to be useful for me as i don't know which solution releases more H+ ions.
All the acids release H+ ions but my job is to find out which one is stronger.
There's a small article too "Determining acid strength" on wikipedia, that may be useful.

rktpro said:

And as you were told, it is useless when it comes to predicting acid strength.

Besides, I have two solutions here - solution of acetic acid with pH 2.4 and solution of hydrochloric acid with pH 4. Following your suggestions as concentration of H+ in acetic acid is higher, it must be a stronger acid than hydrochloric.

The only problem is - it isn't.

You are again commenting on things you understand only partially, and you are again confusing others. Please stop.

Borek said:
And as you were told, it is useless when it comes to predicting acid strength.

Besides, I have two solutions here - solution of acetic acid with pH 2.4 and solution of hydrochloric acid with pH 4. Following your suggestions as concentration of H+ in acetic acid is higher, it must be a stronger acid than hydrochloric.

The only problem is - it isn't.

You are again commenting on things you understand only partially, and you are again confusing others. Please stop.

I apologize. English is not my first language. I meant [H+] ,the brackets shows mol/litre concentration, or in other words: A strong acid completely ionize in aqueous solution while a weak acid doesn't.
And I said it in general, to the statement that there is no definite rule. My perception was different. The dissociation constant certainly tells about the acid/base being strong or weak in comparison with any other acid/base.

Last edited:

1. How do you determine if a salt is acidic or not?

To identify if a given salt is acidic or not, we must first look at its chemical formula. If the salt contains a cation from a strong base and an anion from a weak acid, it will be acidic. On the other hand, if the salt contains a cation from a weak base and an anion from a strong acid, it will be acidic as well.

2. Can a salt be both acidic and basic?

Yes, a salt can be both acidic and basic. This occurs when the salt contains both a cation and anion from weak acids and bases respectively. In this case, the salt will have a neutral pH.

3. What is the relationship between the acidity of a salt and its pH?

The acidity of a salt is directly related to its pH. If a salt is acidic, it will have a pH below 7. If a salt is basic, it will have a pH above 7. If a salt is neutral, it will have a pH of 7.

4. How do you test the acidity of a salt?

To test the acidity of a salt, you can use litmus paper or a pH meter. Simply dip the litmus paper in a solution of the salt or use the pH meter to measure the pH of the salt solution. If the pH is below 7, the salt is acidic.

5. Can the acidity of a salt change over time?

No, the acidity of a salt does not change over time. However, the pH of a salt solution may change due to external factors such as the addition of an acid or base. The acidity of the salt itself remains constant.