Identifying substances using critical angle

In summary, the critical angle for diamond is 24 degrees and for benzene it is 42 degrees. An angle of incidence of 24 degrees or less would result in total internal reflection in diamond, while an angle of incidence of 42 degrees or less would result in total internal reflection in benzene. Additionally, if the critical angle of a substance is 47 degrees, the substance can be identified by using Table 1 on page 437 or by looking up its index of refraction on a reliable source such as Wikipedia.
Derosion

Homework Statement

The critical angle for diamond is 24 degrees. The critical angle for benzene is 42 degrees. Which of the following angles of incidence would results in total internal reflection in diamond and which in benzene?

A)20 degrees B)25 degrees C)30 degrees D)35 degrees E)40 degrees F) 45 degrees

Homework Equations

Don't really know tbh.

The Attempt at a Solution

I was away for a couple of days so I'm a bit lost. These were questions that were given after I completed a lab.

If you guys would be kind enough to help me out, that would be great.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another question I have as well

Homework Statement

If the critical angle of a substance if 47 degrees, identify the substance. Use table 1, p. 437

Well, I can't show you guys my table. But here's a site where it shows you the table (indexes of refraction)
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/tables/indrf.html

Homework Equations

--

The Attempt at a Solution

--

Thanks guys :)!

Physics news on Phys.org
The http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_angle" . (Click on the links)

Use Wikipedia :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between an angle of incidence and an angle of reflection?

The angle of incidence is the angle at which a light ray hits a surface, while the angle of reflection is the angle at which the light ray bounces off the surface. The angle of incidence is always equal to the angle of reflection, as long as the surface is smooth and flat.

2. How do you calculate the critical angle?

The critical angle is the angle of incidence at which the refracted ray is at a 90 degree angle to the normal. It can be calculated using the formula: sin(critical angle) = 1 / refractive index. The refractive index is a measure of how much a substance bends light.

3. What is total internal reflection?

Total internal reflection occurs when a light ray hits a boundary between two substances, and the angle of incidence is greater than the critical angle. This causes all of the light to be reflected back into the original substance, instead of being refracted into the second substance.

4. How does the angle of refraction change when light travels from a less dense substance to a more dense substance?

The angle of refraction decreases when light travels from a less dense substance to a more dense substance. This is because light slows down when it enters a more dense substance, causing it to bend more towards the normal.

5. What is the relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction?

The angle of incidence and the angle of refraction are related through Snell's law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the speed of light in the first substance to the speed of light in the second substance. This relationship allows us to predict the angle of refraction for a given angle of incidence and refractive index.