If potassium phosphate is 98% pure, what is likely to be the 2% impurity?

• Thread starter skyshrimp
  • Start date
skyshrimp
I've ordered some on eBay from China to use in my aquarium.

I'm not sure how it is make and wondered what the impurities would most likely be from the manufacturing process.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You should have looked at the specification before you bought it! In any case, have you asked your supplier?

Likes Vanadium 50
If it's important, you need to check, not guess (or ask us to guess). If we guess sodium phosphate and it turns out to be potassium cyanide, your fish will not do so well and then you will be sad.

Thanks, I'll just use it for my plants then. It was only a few pounds.

This is written on the packaging.

KH2PO4 98%
Active ingredient: potassium dichlorophosphate 98%
potassium oxide 33.8% phosphorus pentaoxide 51%

From what I've read, phosphorodichloridate would hydrolyse into hydrochloric acid in solution.

Last edited:
In my experience, it is not normal to add phosphate to an aquarium system.
It is usually not needed because phosphates are continually continuously being added to the aquarium in the food for the fish. It all ends up in the water eventually.
pH control is usually done with carbonates.
Plants will get the phosphates from the food after the fish poop.

Likes Vanadium 50
I have a high PO4 demand in my aquarium due to carbon dosing.

Why does the packaging state 98% potassium dihydrogen phosphate and 98% potassium dichlorophosphate?

Why is potassium oxide and phosphorus pentaoxide mentioned with percentages?

skyshrimp said:
Why does the packaging state 98% potassium dihydrogen phosphate and 98% potassium dichlorophosphate?

skyshrimp said:
I've ordered some on eBay from China
Seems you have answered your own question.

• Love
Likes Tom.G
skyshrimp said:
Because someone couldn't tell the difference between dichlorophosphate and dihydrogenphosphate?

skyshrimp said:
Not sure if it answers "why?", but expressing the composition of the fertilizer this way is quite common in the trade and allows for easy comparison of different mixtures/products.

Thanks, it was the Translator app that was at fault (Chinese to English). I tried translating with the phone camera again and active ingredients translates as only potassium dihydrogen phosphate 98% now.

Likes Borek

What are common impurities found in potassium phosphate?

Common impurities in commercially produced potassium phosphate may include other phosphates, such as sodium phosphate, as well as residual salts like potassium chloride and potassium sulfate. Trace metals and silica may also be present depending on the manufacturing process.

How does the purity of potassium phosphate affect its usage?

The purity of potassium phosphate is crucial for its application, particularly in sensitive areas like pharmaceuticals, food production, and laboratory reagents. Impurities can affect the chemical's stability, reactivity, and safety, potentially leading to inaccurate results in scientific experiments or health risks in medical and food products.

How are impurities in potassium phosphate identified?

Impurities in potassium phosphate are typically identified using analytical techniques such as high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC), mass spectrometry, or inductively coupled plasma (ICP) analysis. These methods help in quantifying and characterizing the impurities present in the sample.

Can the impurities in potassium phosphate be removed?

Yes, impurities in potassium phosphate can often be reduced or removed through additional purification processes such as recrystallization, filtration, or dialysis. The method chosen depends on the nature of the impurities and the required purity level for the intended application.

What impact do the impurities in potassium phosphate have on its chemical properties?

The impurities in potassium phosphate can alter its chemical properties, including solubility, pH, and reactivity. For instance, the presence of other salts may increase the ionic strength of a solution, which can affect the solubility and dissociation of the potassium phosphate. Trace metals might catalyze unwanted side reactions, especially in sensitive chemical syntheses.