If you Don't have a good grade in Physics?

• Thread starter EricI
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: If you are failing in college classes then there is definitely something wrong. Make sure to get help from a tutor or counselor.
EricI
Hi,

I finished my junior with a C+ in physics and a B- in math. I am looking to get into an engineering or astrophysics program due to the fact that i have been obsessed with the universe ever since i was 7. Any advice on what to due this summer to try to compensate for this?

I am currently watching the classic mechanics Mit course and reading Calculus for dummies. I also am planning on taking the Physics subject test in the fall.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless you're planning to take calculus based physics in the very near future and have a solid grounding in basic calculus, MIT classical mechanics is a bit of a stretch right now. Instead, what should be your top priority right now is to learn introductory Newtonian mechanics from an algebra based perspective (kinematics, Newton's laws, momentum, conservation of energy, etc) and do as many practice problems as possible. Also, learning calculus won't be of any use at this point since you do not seem to have a solid foundation in algebra and trigonometry yet. You should refine those skills before you attempt to learn calculus.

-Dragoon- said:
Unless you're planning to take calculus based physics in the very near future and have a solid grounding in basic calculus, MIT classical mechanics is a bit of a stretch right now. Instead, what should be your top priority right now is to learn introductory Newtonian mechanics from an algebra based perspective (kinematics, Newton's laws, momentum, conservation of energy, etc) and do as many practice problems as possible. Also, learning calculus won't be of any use at this point since you do not seem to have a solid foundation in algebra and trigonometry yet. You should refine those skills before you attempt to learn calculus.

100% agree with with -Dragoon-

It's good that you are failing in high school and not in college. Figure out the reason why you didn't do so well in your classes this year and correct them so when it times to learn the real deal you are ready. I'm just using the word failing as a relative term I know you passed the classes.

I understand your passion for the universe and your desire to pursue a career in engineering or astrophysics. While your grades in physics and math may not be ideal, there are still ways for you to compensate and improve your understanding of these subjects.

Firstly, I would recommend seeking guidance from a physics or math tutor who can help you strengthen your understanding of the concepts and improve your grades. Additionally, you can also look into summer programs or workshops that focus on physics or math to gain more hands-on experience and deepen your knowledge.

Aside from that, self-study through online courses and resources, such as the MIT course you mentioned, can also be beneficial. Make sure to also practice problem-solving regularly to improve your skills in applying the concepts you learn.

Taking the Physics subject test in the fall is a great idea, as it will not only give you an opportunity to showcase your understanding of the subject, but also provide you with feedback on areas that you may need to focus on.

Overall, my advice would be to stay motivated and determined to improve your grades and understanding of these subjects. With hard work and dedication, you can overcome any challenges and achieve your goal of pursuing a career in engineering or astrophysics. Best of luck to you!

Related to If you Don't have a good grade in Physics?

1. Why is having a good grade in Physics important?

Having a good grade in Physics is important because it is a fundamental subject in the fields of science and engineering. Many higher level courses and careers require a strong understanding of Physics concepts. Additionally, a good grade in Physics shows critical thinking skills and problem-solving abilities, which are valuable in any field.

2. What should I do if I am struggling in my Physics class?

If you are struggling in your Physics class, it is important to seek help from your teacher or a tutor. They can provide additional explanations and practice problems to help you better understand the material. It is also helpful to actively engage in class and ask questions when you don't understand something.

3. Can I still pursue a career in science if I don't have a good grade in Physics?

Having a good grade in Physics is not the only factor in pursuing a career in science. While it is helpful to have a strong understanding of Physics, there are many other skills and qualities that are valuable in the scientific field. It is important to find your strengths and pursue them, while also continuously working to improve in areas you may struggle in.

4. How can I improve my grade in Physics?

To improve your grade in Physics, it is important to actively engage in class, take thorough notes, and practice regularly. It can also be helpful to form study groups and work on practice problems together. Additionally, seeking help from your teacher or a tutor can provide valuable insight and assistance in understanding difficult concepts.

5. Are there any resources available to help me improve my understanding of Physics?

Yes, there are many resources available to help improve your understanding of Physics. Your teacher or school may offer tutoring or study sessions. There are also online resources such as videos, practice problems, and interactive simulations that can aid in understanding difficult concepts. It is important to find the resources that work best for you and utilize them to improve your understanding of Physics.