I'm failing my prepratory year. (This year is used to get into Uni)

In summary: I want. I am not interested in going into the trades. Thanks for the advice.In summary, this guy is failing his 1 year program which will get him into university. He is interested in studying one of the hard sciences (physics or math). He has low marks for this semester, but he is still trying to finish the semester. He should spend his time doing homework, extra problems, or studying so that he won't fail the exams that are inevitably coming up.
Last chance U
Hey guys, here's what's happening. I am currently failing my 1 year program which will get me into university. I am interested in studying one of the hard sciences (physics or math). In this program we have 2 semesters. We are done the first half of the first semester. Here are my marks.

Functions: 46%

English: 71%

Biology lab: 26%

Chemistry lab: 25%

Chemistry: 34%

Computers: 66%

Biology: 50%

For all my class except computers we are done around 50% of the curriculum for this SEMESTER.

I need at least an 80% average to get into university and I was wondering, do I even have a chance?

I am also having a really hard time with homework and catching up ( I slacked off for the first month of school.)

What would you guys do?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't really know what you mean by "preparatory year", so I can't really tell you what I would do in your situation. Those grades are extremely low.

Working out the averages:

Average for this half of the semester: 45.4%
If you manage to get 100s for all your courses over the rest of the year, you could get an 86 average maximum. So in other words, if you get anything below a 95 average from here, it's game over.

What are you doing, skipping classes? The only way you could fail a lab is by just not showing up/not doing the lab reports.

Likes 1 person
Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't, somebody posted that on Facebook. But since you're on a physics forum I will citate a physicist: you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool.

Likes 1 person
If what I think is happening is happening, friends of a certain sort and what they might call recreation, my recommendation is to get new friends and new recreations. Seriously, that just ain't worth it.

This prep year is, for want of a better word, gone. Use the time to catch up on any school subjects that you find difficult.

You guys are all right lol.

In terms of studying,

btw for the next 5 days I don't have Class and I was wondering how should I divide my time, etc

Astrum said:
I don't really know what you mean by "preparatory year", so I can't really tell you what I would do in your situation. Those grades are extremely low.

Working out the averages:

Average for this half of the semester: 45.4%
If you manage to get 100s for all your courses over the rest of the year, you could get an 86 average maximum. So in other words, if you get anything below a 95 average from here, it's game over.

What are you doing, skipping classes? The only way you could fail a lab is by just not showing up/not doing the lab reports.

Yeah I missed about 4 lab reports whick is like worth 40%. lol whoops. I'm never going to make this mistake at university hopefully

Last chance U said:
You guys are all right lol.

In terms of studying,

btw for the next 5 days I don't have Class and I was wondering how should I divide my time, etc

You should spend your time doing homework, extra problems, or studying so that you won't fail the exams that are inevitably coming up.

Likes 1 person
College isn't for everyone. What about learning a trade? Electrician, carpentry, elevator repair, etc etc. There's certainly nothing wrong with using your hands to make a living if you have the talent. In fact you may be able to make a decent living doing it. There are many people out there that could probably solve a partial diff eq or understsnd stat mech but don't even know how to change the oil in their car or cut out and fix a pipe in the house if it gets clogged.

gravenewworld said:
College isn't for everyone. What about learning a trade? Electrician, carpentry, elevator repair, etc etc. There's certainly nothing wrong with using your hands to make a living if you have the talent. In fact you may be able to make a decent living doing it. There are many people out there that could probably solve a partial diff eq or understsnd stat mech but don't even know how to change the oil in their car or cut out and fix a pipe in the house if it gets clogged.

Yeah it's true college isn't for everyone. However, I can not see my self working in the trades for the rest of my life. It has been my life dream to attend university and graduate =D. I want to be the first one in my family to go to university. My dad is a building superintendent and my mom is a janitor. I understand that the trades offer a lot of career opportunities but, I am not a big fan of physical labor. I prefer to use my brain and critical thinking skills. For me, it's either university or depression :devil:

Last chance U said:
Yeah it's true college isn't for everyone. However, I can not see my self working in the trades for the rest of my life. It has been my life dream to attend university and graduate =D.
It might be your dream, but what you have described doesn't sound like you have put much effort into attaining your dream - slacking off for the first month of the semester.
Last chance U said:
I want to be the first one in my family to go to university. My dad is a building superintendent and my mom is a janitor. I understand that the trades offer a lot of career opportunities but, I am not a big fan of physical labor. I prefer to use my brain and critical thinking skills.
For me, it's either university or depression :devil:
It seems very unlikely to me that you will be able to come out with an 80% average, based on your grades at this point. Instead of going directly to a university, you might consider enrolling in a community college for a year or two, and getting your grades up to where a four-year school would accept you.

Mark44 said:
It might be your dream, but what you have described doesn't sound like you have put much effort into attaining your dream - slacking off for the first month of the semester.

It seems very unlikely to me that you will be able to come out with an 80% average, based on your grades at this point. Instead of going directly to a university, you might consider enrolling in a community college for a year or two, and getting your grades up to where a four-year school would accept you.

Yeah, I'll do that. I just need to work hard and hope for the best.

What is a preparatory year?

A preparatory year, also known as a foundation year or bridging program, is an additional year of study designed to prepare students for university-level education. It is often required for students who did not meet the necessary requirements for direct entry into a university program.

Why am I failing my preparatory year?

There could be many reasons for failing a preparatory year. It could be due to a lack of understanding of the material, poor study habits, or personal issues. It is important to identify the specific reasons and address them in order to improve your performance.

Is failing a preparatory year a reflection of my intelligence?

No, failing a preparatory year does not necessarily mean that you are not intelligent. It could simply mean that you were not adequately prepared for the level of academic rigor in the program. It is important to remember that intelligence is not fixed and can be improved with effort and dedication.

What should I do if I am failing my preparatory year?

If you are failing your preparatory year, it is important to seek help and support from your teachers, academic advisors, or tutors. They can provide you with additional resources and guidance to help you improve your understanding and performance. It is also important to assess your study habits and make necessary changes to ensure success.

Can I still get into university if I fail my preparatory year?

It depends on the specific university and program you are applying to. Some universities may allow you to retake the preparatory year, while others may consider alternative pathways such as entrance exams or completing prerequisite courses. It is important to check with the university for their specific requirements and options.