Im soooooo close to solving this problem (Rings)

• Thread starter pureouchies4717
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rings
In summary, for a ring R with characteristic m and integer n, if 1 < gcd(n,m) < m, then n · 1R is a zero divisor. This is because if gcd(n,m) = b and 1 < b < m, then m/b = b < m and b is a factor of n. This means that n · 1R is a multiple of m and therefore a zero divisor. To show this, we need to find another integer k such that nk is a multiple of m, but k is not.
pureouchies4717
Question: Let R be a ring of characteristic m > 0, and let n be any
integer. Show that if 1 < gcd(n,m) < m, then n · 1R is a zero divisor

heres what i got out of this:

Let gcd(n,m) = b

1< d < m so m/d = b < m
and d | n

Also, m * 1_R = 0

can someone please offer some insight?
thanks,
nick

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't follow you at all. What is d?

If a ring has characteristic m, then the elements n*1_R which are zero are exactly those with n a multiple of m. So to show n is a zero divisor, you need to find another integer k such that nk is a multiple of m, but k is not, ie, n*1_R k*1_R=0, but k*1_R is not 0.

1. How do you determine the "solvability" of a problem?

The solvability of a problem is determined by assessing the availability of resources, the complexity of the problem, and the feasibility of finding a solution within a reasonable timeframe.

2. What are the most common strategies for solving complex problems?

The most common strategies include breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts, using trial and error, seeking out expert advice and collaboration, and utilizing various problem-solving techniques such as brainstorming and root cause analysis.

3. How important is creativity in problem-solving?

Creativity is crucial in problem-solving as it allows for the generation of new ideas and perspectives that may lead to innovative solutions. It also helps to overcome mental blocks and think outside the box.

4. How do you know when you have successfully solved a problem?

A problem can be considered successfully solved when a feasible solution has been found and implemented, and the desired outcome has been achieved. It is also important to evaluate the effectiveness of the solution and make adjustments if necessary.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Some ways to improve problem-solving skills include practicing regularly, seeking out new challenges, learning from past experiences, and staying open-minded and adaptable to different approaches and perspectives.