##R[x,y]## and ##R[y,x]## are Ring Isomorphic

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ring
In summary, the equation for the product of two polynomials is given by: (a_{11} xy + ... + a_{1m} xy^m) + (a_{21} x^2 y + ... + a_{2m} x^2 y^m) + ... + (a_{n1} x^n y + ... + a_{nm} x^n y^m)
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Let ##R## be a commutative ring,. Show that ##R[x,y]## is isomorphic to ##R[y,x]##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let ##f : R[x,y] \to R[y,x]## be defined by ##\sum_{i,j=1}^{n,m} a_{ij} x^i y^j \mapsto \sum_{i,j=1}^{n,m} a_{ij} y^i x^j##. Verifying that ##f## is additive is rather trivial, however I am having a little trouble verifying that ##f## is multiplicative. Given ##\sum_{i,j=1}^{n,m} a_{ij} x^i y^j## and ##\sum_{i,j=1}^{n,m} b_{ij} x^i y^j##, what is the general form of the product? Multiplying double sums hasn't been introduced yet in my book, as far as I can tell.

Physics news on Phys.org
It can probably be done by the formula, which you can easily find out by a simple multiplication. It would be boring in any case. But given additivity, why not use if for polynomials ##ax^ny^m##?

Okay. Let me see if I follow you. Since ##\sum_{i,j=1}^{n,m} a_{ij} x^i y^j## can be expanded as
$$(a_{11} xy + ... + a_{1m} xy^m) + (a_{21} x^2 y + ... + a_{2m} x^2 y^m) + ... + (a_{n1} x^n y + ... + a_{nm} x^n y^m),$$

we see that the product of it with ##\sum_{i,j=1}^{n,m} b_{ij} x^i y^j## is

$$\sum_{i,j=1}^{n,m} a_{ij} x^i y^j \cdot \sum_{i,j=1}^{n,m} b_{ij} x^i y^j$$

$$= \bigg[(a_{11} xy + ... + a_{1m} xy^m) + (a_{21} x^2 y + ... + a_{2m} x^2 y^m) + ... + (a_{n1} x^n y + ... + a_{nm} x^n y^m) \bigg] \cdot \sum_{i,j=1}^{n,m} b_{ij} x^i y^j$$

$$= (a_{11} xy \cdot \sum_{i,j=1}^{n,m} b_{ij} x^i y^j+ ... + a_{1m} xy^m \cdot \sum_{i,j=1}^{n,m} b_{ij} x^i y^j) + (a_{21} x^2 y \cdot \sum_{i,j=1}^{n,m} b_{ij} x^i y^j+ ... + a_{2m} x^2 y^m \cdot \sum_{i,j=1}^{n,m} b_{ij} x^i y^j) + ... + (a_{n1} x^n y \cdot \sum_{i,j=1}^{n,m} b_{ij} x^i y^j + ... + a_{nm} x^n y^m \cdot \sum_{i,j=1}^{n,m} b_{ij} x^i y^j )$$

From there I can break down each ##a_{pq} x^p y^q \cdot \sum_{i,j=1}^{n,m} b_{ij} x^i y^j## down in a similar manner, which is extraordinarily tedious, and then it suffices to show that ##f(a x^p y^q \cdot b x^n y^m) = f(a x^p y^q) f(b x^n y^m)? Does that sound right?

I'm not sure whether your indices are all correct, especially why you omit the constant terms. However, it isn't needed. We can simply write
$$
\left( \sum_{i,j} a_{ij} x^iy^j \right) \left( \sum_{k,l} b_{kl}x^ky^l \right) = \sum_{p,q} \left( \sum_{i+k=p}\sum_{j+l=q}a_{ij}b_{k,l}\right) x^p y^q
$$
This form has the advantage that we don't need to bother constant terms or degrees. The only question is, what does this mean, if we swap ##x## and ##y## on the left and on the right? Here you need additivity and a result for products ##c_{pq}x^py^q##.

Last edited:

1. What does it mean for two rings to be isomorphic?

Two rings are said to be isomorphic if they have the same algebraic structure, meaning that they have the same number of elements and the same operations defined on those elements. In other words, they are essentially the same ring, just with different names for the elements and operations.

2. What is the difference between ##R[x,y]## and ##R[y,x]##?

The difference between ##R[x,y]## and ##R[y,x]## is the order of the variables. In ##R[x,y]##, the first variable is x and the second variable is y, while in ##R[y,x]##, the first variable is y and the second variable is x. This may seem like a minor difference, but it can affect the structure of the ring and whether or not it is isomorphic to another ring.

3. How can you prove that two rings are isomorphic?

To prove that two rings are isomorphic, you must show that there exists a bijective map between the two rings that preserves the ring structure. This means that the map must preserve addition, multiplication, and the identity element. You can also show that the two rings have the same number of elements and the same properties, such as commutativity and associativity.

4. Are there any limitations or conditions for two rings to be isomorphic?

Yes, there are several conditions and limitations for two rings to be isomorphic. One limitation is that the two rings must have the same number of elements. Additionally, the two rings must have the same operations defined on those elements, and these operations must be preserved by the bijective map between the two rings. Finally, the two rings must have the same properties, such as distributivity and the existence of an identity element.

5. Can two non-commutative rings be isomorphic?

Yes, two non-commutative rings can be isomorphic. The commutativity of the operations is not a requirement for two rings to be isomorphic. As long as the two rings have the same algebraic structure and the same operations defined on their elements, they can be considered isomorphic. However, it should be noted that the bijective map between the two rings may not necessarily preserve the commutativity of the operations.