Image distance of light in parallel mirrors question

In summary, when two parallel mirrors are placed along and perpendicular to the x-axis at x = +7.40 m and x = -7.40 m, a point source of light at x = +3.30 m will produce an infinite number of images. The four images with the smallest absolute values of image distance can be found by considering the locations of the reflections of each image. Going from left to right, the x-coordinate of the leftmost image is found by applying the two formulas for reflection and generating a list of images.
salmayoussef

Homework Statement

[/B]
Two parallel mirrors that face each other are placed along and perpendicular to the x-axis at x = +7.40 m and x = -7.40 m. Assume that a point source of light is placed on the axis at x = +3.30 m. In principle, there will be an infinite number of images generated. Consider the locations of the four images of the point source with the smallest absolute values of image distance i.

Going from left to right (i.e from negative to positive), what is the x-coordinate of the left most image?
I drew the x-axis looking sort of like this:

--------|-----------|-----|-------|-------- x
-7.4 0 3.3 7.4

I tried 18.1, but that didn't work, then I tried x=10.7 (7.4+3.3) but that didn't work either.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: a better diagram http://m.imgur.com/leGcHvs

Physics news on Phys.org
Your 'better diagram' is unviewable.
Let the mirrors be at +y and -y. Consider an image at position x. Where will the two reflections of that image appear?
Once you have those two formulas, you can apply them in turn to generate a list of images.

What is the "Image distance of light in parallel mirrors" question?

The "Image distance of light in parallel mirrors" question is a common physics problem that asks about the distance at which an object is reflected in two parallel mirrors. This question is often used to test understanding of reflection and angles of incidence and reflection.

What is the formula for calculating the image distance of light in parallel mirrors?

The formula for calculating the image distance of light in parallel mirrors is d = 2mL/(L-m), where d is the image distance, L is the distance between the mirrors, and m is the number of reflections.

What does a positive or negative answer for image distance in parallel mirrors indicate?

A positive answer for image distance in parallel mirrors indicates that the image is formed on the same side as the object, while a negative answer indicates that the image is formed on the opposite side of the object.

Can the image distance in parallel mirrors ever be equal to the distance between the mirrors?

No, the image distance in parallel mirrors can never be equal to the distance between the mirrors. This is because as the image gets closer to the mirrors, the number of reflections increases, making the image distance larger than the distance between the mirrors.

How does the angle of incidence affect the image distance in parallel mirrors?

The angle of incidence does not affect the image distance in parallel mirrors. The image distance is only affected by the distance between the mirrors and the number of reflections. However, the angle of incidence does affect the position and size of the image formed.