Implicit derivative difficulties

In summary, the conversation is about struggling with finding the implicit derivative of a given equation, and the attempt at solving it using the derivative of each side. The person is stuck with a y' term on both sides and is unsure of how to proceed. The solution provided in the book is also mentioned. The expert suggests factoring out y' before continuing with the solution.
kald13

Homework Statement

I am struggling with implicit derivatives, and though my course book includes final solutions to odd numbered exercises, it does not show the work. As such, I'm stuck in the process of getting from point A to point B:

Find the derivative y'(x) implicitly of

[itex]((x+3)/y)=4x+y^2[/itex]

2. The attempt at a solution

I know to start with the derivative of each side of the equation:

[itex]((d/dx)[x+3]y-(x+3)(d/dx)[y])/y^2=(d/dx)[4x+y^2][/itex]
[itex]((1)y-(x+3)(y'))/y^2=4+2y(y')[/itex]

Multiply both sides by [itex]y^2[/itex]

[itex]y-y'(x+3)=4y^2+2y^3(y')[/itex]

Subtract [itex]y[/itex] and then divide both sides by [itex]-(x+3)[/itex]

[itex]-y'(x+3)=4y^2-y+2y^3(y')[/itex]
[itex]y'=-(4y^2-y+2y^3(y'))/(x+3)[/itex]

So now I have y' isolated on the left, but I still have a y' on the right that doesn't factor, and I'm not sure what to do with it. I run into a similar problem if I try to isolate y' on the right first, and I'm not sure how to procede from this point.

The solution provided in the book is:

[itex]y'=(y-4y^2)/(x+3+2y^3)[/itex]

Getting close, but not quite there.

Physics news on Phys.org
kald13 said:

Homework Statement

I am struggling with implicit derivatives, and though my course book includes final solutions to odd numbered exercises, it does not show the work. As such, I'm stuck in the process of getting from point A to point B:

Find the derivative y'(x) implicitly of

[itex]((x+3)/y)=4x+y^2[/itex]

2. The attempt at a solution

I know to start with the derivative of each side of the equation:

[itex]((d/dx)[x+3]y-(x+3)(d/dx)[y])/y^2=(d/dx)[4x+y^2][/itex]
[itex]((1)y-(x+3)(y'))/y^2=4+2y(y')[/itex]

Multiply both sides by [itex]y^2[/itex]

[itex]y-y'(x+3)=4y^2+2y^3(y')[/itex]

Subtract [itex]y[/itex] and then divide both sides by [itex]-(x+3)[/itex]

[itex]-y'(x+3)=4y^2-y+2y^3(y')[/itex]
[itex]y'=-(4y^2-y+2y^3(y'))/(x+3)[/itex]

So now I have y' isolated on the left, but I still have a y' on the right that doesn't factor, and I'm not sure what to do with it. I run into a similar problem if I try to isolate y' on the right first, and I'm not sure how to procede from this point.

The solution provided in the book is:

[itex]y'=(y-4y^2)/(x+3+2y^3)[/itex]

Getting close, but not quite there.

Starting from ##y-y'(x+3)=4y^2+2y^3(y')## move all of the terms containing y' to one side and factor y' out before you do anything else.

Related to Implicit derivative difficulties

1. What is an implicit derivative?

An implicit derivative is a type of derivative in calculus that is used to find the rate of change of a function that is not explicitly defined in terms of its independent variable. This means that the independent variable is not written explicitly as a function of the dependent variable, but rather is implied in the equation.

2. Why are implicit derivatives difficult?

Implicit derivatives can be difficult because they require a different approach than traditional derivatives. The process of finding an implicit derivative involves using the chain rule and implicit differentiation, which can be challenging for some students to grasp.

3. What is the difference between an explicit and implicit derivative?

An explicit derivative is the traditional type of derivative where the dependent variable is explicitly written as a function of the independent variable. In contrast, an implicit derivative is used when the dependent variable is not explicitly defined in terms of the independent variable.

4. How do you find the implicit derivative of a function?

To find the implicit derivative of a function, you need to use implicit differentiation. This involves treating the dependent variable as a function of the independent variable and using the chain rule to differentiate the function with respect to the independent variable.

5. What are some common mistakes students make when finding implicit derivatives?

Some common mistakes when finding implicit derivatives include not applying the chain rule correctly, forgetting to differentiate the dependent variable with respect to the independent variable, and not simplifying the final answer. It is also important to pay attention to the placement of parentheses and to use proper notation when writing the derivative.