Importing SPICE models for some ICs into Multisim

• Thread starter AMRITHAPRIYA K K
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Schematics
In summary, the conversation discusses the need to simulate certain schematics in MULTISIM but not being able to do so due to some ICs not being available. The option of importing spice models for certain ICs is mentioned and the steps for doing so are requested. The specific IC 74LV4051PW (8:1 MUX) is mentioned and the steps for importing its spice model are discussed. The conversation also mentions the possibility of defining a .subckt or a macro array of SPST switches for accurate simulation. A link for creating custom component models in MULTISIM is provided. Finally, the level of simulation (functional/digital or full-resolution SPICE) is discussed.
AMRITHAPRIYA K K
We need to simulate certain schematics in MULTISIM but we are not able to do it since some of the ICs are not available in MULTISIM. We have got the spice models for some ICs. Will it be possible for anyone to help with the steps of importing spice models in MULTISIM?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

It should be possible without too many problems.
What ICs do you need to convert?

What similar ICs are available in MULTISIM now?

I require many ICs for simulation . For few of them I got spice models but I am not able to import it. One of them is 74LV4051PW(8:1 MUX). Can you provide me with the steps?

AMRITHAPRIYA K K said:
I require many ICs for simulation . For few of them I got spice models but I am not able to import it. One of them is 74LV4051PW(8:1 MUX). Can you provide me with the steps?
At what level do you want to simulate your circuits? At a functional/digital level, or a full-resolution SPICE simulation?

AMRITHAPRIYA K K said:
One of them is 74LV4051PW(8:1 MUX).
Do you have a spice model for that?

I believe you will need to define a .subckt that can be imported.

The 4051 is a 1/8 analog bidirectional switch. It is made from CMOS, MOSFET transmission gates. I expect an accurate model will require you to identify the characteristics of the MOSFETs employed.

Alternatively, you mighty define it as a macro array of SPST switches.

Sometimes it is easier to simulate a circuit with spice.

https://www.multisim.com/help/components/creating-custom-component-models/

berkeman said:
At what level do you want to simulate your circuits? At a functional/digital level, or a full-resolution SPICE simulation?

functional/digital level only

Last edited by a moderator:
AMRITHAPRIYA K K said:
functional/digital level only
Then you don't need a full SPICE model, do you?

1. How do I import SPICE models into Multisim?

To import SPICE models into Multisim, first download the desired model from the manufacturer's website. Then, open Multisim and go to the Component Wizard. Select the option to import a SPICE model and follow the prompts to locate and import the model.

2. Can I import models for any IC into Multisim?

Yes, Multisim supports the import of SPICE models for a wide range of ICs. However, it is always recommended to check with the manufacturer to ensure compatibility.

3. Do I need to modify the SPICE model before importing it into Multisim?

In most cases, you do not need to modify the SPICE model before importing it into Multisim. However, if the model is not working properly, you may need to make some adjustments to the parameters to ensure accuracy.

4. How do I know if the imported SPICE model is accurate?

You can verify the accuracy of the imported SPICE model by simulating it in Multisim and comparing the results to the manufacturer's datasheet. If there are significant discrepancies, you may need to modify the model or contact the manufacturer for support.

5. Can I use custom SPICE models in Multisim?

Yes, you can use custom SPICE models in Multisim by creating a new component and assigning the custom model to it. This allows you to use unique models that may not be available from the manufacturer.