Improper integral using residues

In summary, the student attempted to find a simple pole at z = (I Pi)/2 with a residue of -I. However, he ran into trouble because there are multiple poles in the upper half plane and he needed to make a more clever choice of contour. He was given one suggestion by his professor, and another suggestion by me. He picked one and proceeded to try it.
cscott

Homework Statement

integral of sech(x) from -Inf to Inf using residues.

Homework Equations

Calculate using: (2 Pi I) * Res[sech(x), "poles in upper half plane"]

The Attempt at a Solution

I used sech(x) = 2/[exp(x)+exp(-x)] to find a simple pole at z = (I Pi)/2 with a residue of -I. Then,

Result = (2 Pi I)(-I) = 2 Pi

As far as I know the answer should be Pi so I'm off by a factor of two. I can't find the mistake in finding the residue. Can anyone verify that the residue should be -I/2?

Let f(z)=g(z)/h(z), then residue of a simple pole z0 is g(z0)/h'(z0), no? (Assuming g(z0) != 0, h(z0)=0)

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can tell you what's wrong. i*pi/2 isn't the only pole in the upper half plane. i*3*pi/2, i*5*pi/2 ... are also poles. There's an infinite number. You need to make a more clever choice of contour.

Last edited:
Dick said:
I can tell you what's wrong. i*pi/2 isn't the only pole in the upper half plane. i*3*pi/2, i*5*pi/2 ... are also poles. There's an infinite number. You need to make a more clever choice of contour.

Ah you are right :( I approached this too quickly.

My hint from the prof is 'convert the integrand to a rational function by changing variables'

Either way I'm not sure exactly how to proceed now.

cscott said:
Ah you are right :( I approached this too quickly.

My hint from the prof is 'convert the integrand to a rational function by changing variables'

Either way I'm not sure exactly how to proceed now.

Well, your professor gave you one suggestion, and I gave you another. I think they both will work. Pick one and try it. Here's a hint for my route. How are sech(x) and sech(x+i*pi) related?

So if I take a rectangle with height [itex]\pi[/itex] I'd enclose one pole at [itex]i\pi/2[/itex]. Something tells me the two side integrals should go to zero as rectangle width->inf and I'll get a multiple of my integral on the upper part.

So in this case [itex]sech(z) = -sech(z + i\pi)[/itex] and because of the opposite integration directions I'll get double my desired integral, which is why I have [itex]2\pi[/itex] in my OP instead of [itex]pi[/itex]?

Last edited:
cscott said:
So if I take a rectangle with height 1 I'd enclose one pole at [itex]i\pi/2[/itex]. Something tells me the two side integrals should go to zero as rectangle width->inf and I'll get a multiple of my integral on the upper part.

So in this case [itex]sech(z) = -sech(z + i\pi)[/itex] and because of the opposite integration directions I'll get double my desired integral, which is why I have [itex]2\pi[/itex] in my OP instead of [itex]pi[/itex]?

That's basically it. You mean a rectangle with height pi, right?

Yes, I meant Pi, sorry.

Thanks for your help.

Related to Improper integral using residues

1. What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral that does not have finite limits of integration or has a function that is not defined at one or more points within the limits of integration.

2. What is the residue theorem?

The residue theorem is a powerful tool used in complex analysis to evaluate integrals of complex functions. It states that the value of a contour integral around a closed path is equal to the sum of the residues of the function inside the path.

3. How do you use the residue theorem to evaluate improper integrals?

To evaluate an improper integral using residues, we first have to express the function as a complex function. Then, we find the pole(s) of the complex function within the limits of integration and calculate the residues at those poles. Finally, we use the residue theorem to evaluate the integral.

4. What is the difference between a simple pole and a higher-order pole?

A simple pole is a pole of order 1, meaning that the function has a singularity at that point and behaves like 1/z near that point. A higher-order pole, on the other hand, has a singularity of order greater than 1 and behaves like 1/z^n near that point.

5. What are the applications of using residues to evaluate improper integrals?

Using residues to evaluate improper integrals is especially useful in physics and engineering, where complex functions are commonly encountered. It is also used in signal processing, control systems, and other areas of mathematics and physics.