In absolute need of help with chemistry labs

In summary: This will give you more in-depth explanations of the methods and why they work. Once you have a good foundation, it will be easier to understand the concepts of the experiments. In summary, the author recommends reading a chemical laboratory manual and going to a more specialized one to get more in-depth explanations of the methods and why they work.
JoeyCentral
I just got out of my chemistry lab class at school, and needless to say, I don't think I am going to get a good grade. Basically, I felt like a complete idiot today. My professor was getting frustrated with me because he thinks I wasn't listening to him (even though I was). I never in my life did chemistry within the 20 years of living, nor did I ever step foot into a lab. The things he was discussing before the experiment was a bunch of stuff that people who taken chemistry in high school level would understand.

How can I improve in chemistry lab so I can do better and finish this semester with an 'A'?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
There is no magical recipe, other than hard work. Start by identifying what are things that you are expected to know, and learn them.

I understand that and I do work hard. However, what lab goes over is supposed to go over things that we learned from the chemistry lectures. I am all good with that (so far) since I got a 90 on my recent test. However, the lab itself is confusing. I don't know if it's just because the instructor is terrible, but I feel like the experiments just do not make any sense! Is there an experiment guide that I can read that will help me improve in chemistry lab?

JoeyCentral said:
I understand that and I do work hard. However, what lab goes over is supposed to go over things that we learned from the chemistry lectures. I am all good with that (so far) since I got a 90 on my recent test. However, the lab itself is confusing. I don't know if it's just because the instructor is terrible, but I feel like the experiments just do not make any sense! Is there an experiment guide that I can read that will help me improve in chemistry lab?
You should take a chemical laboratory manual from your library. Even the most basic one can put you on track with some of the common laboratory practices. If you hope there is some logical way to determine what to do in a lab, well there is, just as the unexpected can literally blow up in your face.
Read the manual, it is a basic collection of good practices. Then go to a more specialized one.

1. What are the basic steps for completing a chemistry lab?

The basic steps for completing a chemistry lab include:

1. Reading and understanding the lab instructions and objectives
  2. Gathering all necessary materials and equipment
  3. Setting up the experiment according to the instructions
  4. Performing the experiment carefully and accurately
  5. Recording all data and observations
  6. Cleaning up the lab space
  7. Analyzing and interpreting the results
  8. Drawing conclusions and discussing any sources of error

2. How important is safety in a chemistry lab?

Safety is of utmost importance in a chemistry lab. Chemicals and experiments can be dangerous if not handled properly. It is important to always wear appropriate protective gear, such as goggles and gloves, and to follow all safety guidelines and precautions provided in the lab instructions.

3. What should I do if I don't understand a step in the lab instructions?

If you don't understand a step in the lab instructions, it is important to ask for help from your instructor or a lab partner. It is better to clarify any confusion before proceeding with the experiment to ensure accurate and safe results.

4. How should I handle chemical spills in the lab?

In the event of a chemical spill, it is important to immediately notify your instructor and follow their instructions for proper clean up. If the spill is small, cover it with an absorbent material and dispose of it in a designated waste container. For larger spills, evacuate the lab and allow trained professionals to handle the clean up.

5. What should I do if my experiment yields unexpected results?

If your experiment yields unexpected results, it is important to carefully review all steps and measurements to ensure accuracy. You can also consult with your instructor or lab partner to discuss any potential sources of error. In some cases, repeating the experiment or making adjustments to the procedure may be necessary to obtain accurate results.