In how many floors does the elevator have to stop?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elevator
In summary, the conversation discusses the average number of stops an elevator with 12 people in a 10-floor building will make. The group uses probability and the formula for expected value to determine that, on average, the elevator will make 10 stops.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

I am looking at the following:
In a high-rise building with ten floors above the ground floor an elevator is installed. Suppose that twelve people enter the elevator on the ground floor and independently select one of the ten floors under uniform distribution. In how many floors does the elevator have to stop on average to let off one or more people?
I have done the following:

Let $i\in \{1, \ldots , 10\}$.

Let $X_i$ be a random variable that takes the value $1$ if at least one person gets off on floor $i$ and $0$ otherwise.

Then we get $X_i=\left\{\begin{matrix}
1, & \text{ stops on floor } i\\
0, & \text{ otherwise }
\end{matrix}\right.$ We want to calculate the expectation of the number of stops, right?

The probability that nobody gets out on floor $i$ is equal to
\begin{align*}P&(\text{Nobody gets out on floor } i ) \\ & =P\left ((\text{Person } 1 \text{ doesn't get out}) \cap (\text{Person } 2 \text{ doesn't get out}) \cap \ldots \cap (\text{Person } 12 \text{ doesn't get out})\right ) \\ & = P\left (\cap_{j=1}^{12}(\text{Person } j \text{ doesn't get out})\right )\end{align*}

SInce each person chooses the floor to get out independently from the others, it holds that
\begin{equation*}P\left (\cap_{j=1}^{12}(\text{Person } j \text{ doesn't get out})\right )=\prod_{j=1}^{12} P(\text{Person } j \text{ doesn't get out})\end{equation*}

The probability that a person gets out on floor $i$ is equal to $\frac{1}{10}$. The probability that the person doesn't get out on floor $i$ is equal to $1-\frac{1}{10}=\frac{9}{10}$.

We get the following:
\begin{equation*}\prod_{j=1}^{12} P(\text{Person } j \text{ doesn't get out})=\prod_{j=1}^{12}\frac{9}{10}=\left (\frac{9}{10}\right )^{12} \end{equation*} Is everything correct so far? (Wondering) Which is the formula for the expectation that we have to use? Do we maybe have to use the formula $E(X)=\sum_{k=1}^{10}x_k\cdot P(X=x_k)$ ? (Wondering)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi mathmari! (Smile)

I believe that is correct yes.

So we have:
$$P(\text{elevator does not stop at floor }i) = \left (\frac{9}{10}\right )^{12}$$
Either the elevator stops or not at floor $i$, so the expected number of stops on floor $i$ is:
$$E(\text{nr of stops on floor }i) = 0 \cdot \left (\frac{9}{10}\right )^{12} + 1 \cdot \left(1 - \left (\frac{9}{10}\right )^{12}\right)$$
Thus the expected total number of stops is:
$$E(\text{nr of stops}) = \sum_{i=1}^{10}E(\text{nr of stops on floor }i) = 10 \cdot \left(1 - \left (\frac{9}{10}\right )^{12}\right)$$
(Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Either the elevator stops or not at floor $i$, so the expected number of stops on floor $i$ is:
$$E(\text{nr of stops on floor }i) = 0 \cdot \left (\frac{9}{10}\right )^{12} + 1 \cdot \left(1 - \left (\frac{9}{10}\right )^{12}\right)$$

Could you explain to me how we get that? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Could you explain to me how we get that? (Wondering)

Generally the expectation of a random variable X is:
$$EX=\sum x_k P(x_k)$$
where the $x_k$ represent the possible outcomes.

In our case the possible outcomes for a specific floor i are 0 stops and 1 stop. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Generally the expectation of a random variable X is:
$$EX=\sum x_k P(x_k)$$
where the $x_k$ represent the possible outcomes.

In our case the possible outcomes for a specific floor i are 0 stops and 1 stop. (Thinking)
I understand! Thank you very much! (Mmm)

1. How many floors can an elevator typically stop at?

The number of floors an elevator can stop at varies depending on the building and the type of elevator. However, most elevators can stop at around 20 floors.

2. Are there any minimum or maximum requirements for the number of floors an elevator can stop at?

The minimum and maximum requirements for the number of floors an elevator can stop at are determined by safety and building codes. Typically, elevators must have a minimum of two stops (ground level and one other) and a maximum of 50 stops.

3. Can an elevator be programmed to only stop at certain floors?

Yes, elevators can be programmed to only stop at certain floors. This is common in buildings with multiple tenants, where each tenant may have their own designated floor for the elevator to stop at.

4. Do elevators have a limit to the number of floors they can stop at?

Technically, elevators can be programmed to stop at any number of floors. However, the more stops an elevator has, the longer the ride time will be and the more wear and tear on the elevator's components.

5. How do elevators determine the number of floors they need to stop at?

Elevators use a combination of sensors, buttons, and programming to determine the number of floors they need to stop at. The elevator's destination control system calculates the most efficient route based on the floors requested by passengers and the current location of the elevator.