Increasing Cantilever Beam Stiffness

In summary, a cantilever beam with constant or increasing stiffness can be difficult to find, but it is important for applications in the prosthetics field.
Jeffrey Lee
Is it possible to create a cantilever beam with constant or increasing stiffness. I've been experimenting with several different shapes and profiles, and have not had any luck.

I know that there are shapes with constant stress throughout, but I'm hoping to find a shape with constant or increasing stiffness, or the shape of a cantilever beam that has maximum stiffness throughout.

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are many ways of making cantilever beams stiffer but any practical solution depends very much on what you are actually trying to do .

What is basic requirement ?

Leading dimensions and applied loads ?

Class of job - basic plate and girder type construction or something more sophisticated ?

Deflection limits ?

Clear diagram would very useful .

Hi, thanks for you reply. This is for applications in the prosthetics field, so geometry and construction is dependent upon what can be contained within a biological form factor.

Basic dimensions:
Cross Section: 6 x 25 mm
Length: 100 mm

Material:
Carbon Fiber with E = 3.8E10 Pa

Maximum applied load is around 1200 N

Attached is a picture of the general setup, please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Spring Set Up 8-10-2015 (1).pdf
    297.4 KB · Views: 334
We can work out what you want from first principles if needs be but in general terms is this the sort of thing you have in mind ? :

http://waset.org/publications/10000410/design-and-development-of-constant-stress-composite-cantilever-beam

Somewhat, but that is designing for constant stress. I am hoping to find the optimum shape for stiffness. What I have been trying to do is using the equations for angular deflection, vertical displacement in order to find a shape that maximizes stiffness (F/displacement). These are the equations I have been using.

$$\theta (x) = \frac{1}{E} \int \frac{M(x)}{I(x)} dx$$
$$\delta (x) = \int \theta(x) dx$$

I have varied the equation for I(x) based on different profiles, but am wondering what the optimal shape for k(x) would be.

Maximum stiffness as such is open ended - for a simple parallel or tapering down cantilever beam the deeper the sections used the stiffer it gets .

Need some constraints for a meaningful analysis .

Would it be useful for your purpose if we try to find shape of a cantilever beam with best stiffness compared to stiffness of your existing parallel one and using same amount of material ?

Last edited:
Yes, that would be helpful. Finding the max stiffness of a cantilever beam at its tip with the same amount of material, and both being the same length would be of use to me.

Thank you

Jeffrey Lee - please contact me .

1. How can I increase the stiffness of a cantilever beam?

To increase the stiffness of a cantilever beam, several methods can be used:

• Increasing the cross-sectional area of the beam
  • Using a higher modulus material for the beam
  • Adding additional supports or braces to the beam
  • Incorporating geometric changes such as increasing the depth or changing the shape of the beam

2. Why is it important to increase the stiffness of a cantilever beam?

Increasing the stiffness of a cantilever beam is important because it can improve the structural integrity and overall strength of the beam. This allows it to withstand higher loads and decreases the likelihood of failure or deformation.

3. Can the stiffness of a cantilever beam be increased without changing its dimensions?

Yes, the stiffness of a cantilever beam can be increased without changing its dimensions by using a higher modulus material or by adding additional supports or braces to the beam. However, these methods may not be as effective as changing the dimensions of the beam.

4. How does increasing the stiffness of a cantilever beam affect its natural frequency?

Increasing the stiffness of a cantilever beam also increases its natural frequency, which is the frequency at which the beam will naturally vibrate when disturbed. This can have implications for the performance of the beam in dynamic applications.

5. Are there any limitations to increasing the stiffness of a cantilever beam?

Yes, there are limitations to increasing the stiffness of a cantilever beam. As the stiffness is increased, the weight and cost of the beam may also increase. Additionally, there may be practical limitations in terms of the available materials and manufacturing methods that can be used to achieve the desired stiffness.