Indefinite Integral with integration by parts

In summary, the student is attempting to solve a homework problem from calculus II, but seems to be stuck. They have substituted the correct substitutions, but are not using the exponential and trigonometric functions together correctly.
Physics-UG

Homework Statement

Evaluate ∫ecos2θ dθ

Homework Equations

Integration by parts formula
∫udv = uv -∫vdu

The Attempt at a Solution

So in calc II we just started integration by parts and I'm doing one of the assignment problems. I know I need to do the integration by parts twice, but I've hit a loop, or so it seems, which I know isn't right. Maybe someone can see my faults?

I set:
u = cos(2θ) v = -e
du = -2sin(2θ) dθ dv = e

So by the formula I got:
= [cos(2θ)] [-e] -2∫ [-e] [sin(2θ) dθ]

Here I used the second integration by parts:

u = sin2θ v = e
du = 2cos(2θ) dθ dv = -e

Solving by the formula again:
= [sin(2θ)] [e] -2∫ [e] [cos(2θ) dθ]

I'm not too sure where I've made my algebraic error, or if I'm on the right track and this won't just put my into a loop giving the same equation above? First question I've posted, so hopefully it follows the format ok, if it doesn't, chime in and let me know so I can fix it properly. Thanks in advance everyone!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your substitutions are correct, but you're stopping a little short. The trick with integration by parts composed of an exponential function and a trigonometric function is to add to both sides the first integral you find that is a multiple of your original integral. From there, it should be obvious where to go next.

phion said:
Your substitutions are correct, but you're stopping a little short. The trick with integration by parts composed of an exponential function and a trigonometric function is to add to both sides the first integral you find that is a multiple of your original integral. From there, it should be obvious where to go next.
Ohh, hat's definitely what I'm missing! Thanks a bunch for the help!

What is an indefinite integral with integration by parts?

An indefinite integral with integration by parts is a method for finding the antiderivative of a function by using the product rule of differentiation. It is used when the function to be integrated is a product of two functions.

How do you solve an indefinite integral with integration by parts?

To solve an indefinite integral with integration by parts, you need to follow these steps:

1. Choose one function as u and the other as dv.
  2. Find the derivative of u (du) and the antiderivative of dv (v).
  3. Use the formula ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du to solve the integral.

What are the conditions for using integration by parts?

The conditions for using integration by parts are:

• The integral must be in the form of ∫u dv.
  • The function u must be differentiable.
  • The function dv must be integrable.

Can integration by parts be used for definite integrals?

Yes, integration by parts can be used for definite integrals. In this case, the formula becomes ∫a^b u(x) dv(x) = [u(x)v(x)]^b_a - ∫a^b v(x) du(x), where a and b are the limits of integration.

What are some common applications of integration by parts?

Integration by parts is commonly used in calculus and physics to solve various problems, such as finding the area under a curve, calculating work done by a force, and finding the center of mass of an object. It is also used in probability and statistics to find the expected value of a random variable.