Index Gymnastics: 2 More Questions

• Thread starter dyn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Index
In summary, When comparing two tensors, it is important to consider the number and placement of free indices, as well as whether they are in concrete or abstract index notation. In general, two tensors with different free indices will not be equal, but there are some exceptions and potential notational mistakes to consider.
dyn
Hi. Got 2 more questions on index placements.

1 - I found the following on an exam paper and it seems wrong to me. It concerns a weak perturbation to the Minkowski metric gik = ηik + hik. It then states that to first order in hik the contravariant metric tensor is gik = ηik - ηinηkmhnk. This seems wrong to me as the RHS has a free m index but the LHS does not. I think 2nd term on the RHS should be -ηaiηbkhab which I think is equal to -hik. Am I right ?

2 - In some notes I found nuvTuv = Tuv. This doesn't seem right either but I'm not sure exactly what it should be ? If I contract the u I get Tvv but if I contract the v first I get Tuu. Are these different ? Do they both equal scalar T ?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct on both accounts. The two contractions at the end of 2 are equivalent (they must be as they come from the same expression). This is called the trace of T, which is a scalar.

Likes dyn
Thanks. Just to confirm for me ; ηuvTuv does not equal Tuv ? It actually equals Tvv which equals Tuu and these are both equal to T ?
For a general tensor does Auu always equal Avv ?

Two index expressions with different free indices will in general not be equal.

dyn said:
For a general tensor does Auu always equal Avv ?
Correct.

Orodruin said:
Two index expressions with different free indices will in general not be equal.

I would say there are several different cases to consider if you want to say this as a general rule.

If the number or placement of the free indices differ (as in #3), then they are different types of mathematical objects, e.g., a vector and a scalar.

If the number and placement of free indices are the same, and it's concrete index notation, but the indices are different letters, e.g., [itex]v^\mu[/itex] and [itex]v^\nu[/itex], then there is some ambiguity. We could be talking about components in different coordinate systems, which could be equal but probably wouldn't be. Or comparing them could be a notational mistake.

For the same case in abstract index notation, [itex]v^a[/itex] and [itex]v^b[/itex], these represent exactly the same mathematical object, and they are guaranteed to be equal to one another. However, we have a notational rule that when we mix them in the same equation, we should not use different letters, e.g., we write [itex]v^a=v^a[/itex], not [itex]v^a=v^b[/itex], and [itex]v^a+v^a[/itex], not [itex]v^a+v^b[/itex]. This is because the whole purpose of using different letters in abstract index notation is to keep straight how we're hooking up the "plumbing."

Related to Index Gymnastics: 2 More Questions

1. What is Index Gymnastics: 2 More Questions?

Index Gymnastics: 2 More Questions is a scientific method used to analyze and interpret data obtained from a set of variables. It helps to identify patterns, trends, and relationships between different variables in a systematic and quantitative manner.

2. How is Index Gymnastics: 2 More Questions different from other data analysis methods?

Index Gymnastics: 2 More Questions is unique in that it takes into account the weight and significance of each variable in the data set, rather than just looking at the overall trend. This allows for a more accurate and nuanced understanding of the data.

3. What are the steps involved in performing Index Gymnastics: 2 More Questions?

The first step is to identify the variables and their corresponding weights. Then, data is collected and organized into a table or spreadsheet. The next step is to calculate the index for each variable by multiplying its weight by its value and summing them up. The final step is to analyze the index values to determine any patterns or relationships.

4. What are the benefits of using Index Gymnastics: 2 More Questions?

Index Gymnastics: 2 More Questions allows for a more comprehensive and accurate analysis of data, as it takes into consideration the weight and significance of each variable. It also helps to identify hidden relationships and trends that may not be evident through other data analysis methods.

5. Can Index Gymnastics: 2 More Questions be used for any type of data?

Yes, Index Gymnastics: 2 More Questions can be used for any type of data as long as the variables and their corresponding weights are clearly identified. It is especially useful for data sets with multiple variables and complex relationships.