Indexing Formulas in Physics Forums | Numbering & Referring

• Thread starter Ad VanderVen
  • Start date
In summary, you can number formulas and how to refer to formulas in PhysicsForums by either numbering them manually or using MathJax or latex. However, if someone quotes you the quote will have equation 2. So it's not great.
Ad VanderVen
How to number formulas and how to refer to formulas in PhysicsForums?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can give them numbers manually, see formula 1. You can't add links, but if the post is so long that links are needed then the forum is probably not the right place for it anyway.
$$\frac{\pi^2}{6}=\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n^2}\quad\quad (1)$$
Made with LaTeX.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Thanks a lot for your quick reply.

You can put equations in the eqnarray environment. $$\begin{eqnarray}
F&=&ma
\end{eqnarray}$$But as far as I know, if someone quotes me the quote will have equation 2. So it's not great...

Ibix said:
You can put equations in the eqnarray environment. $$\begin{eqnarray}
F&=&ma
\end{eqnarray}$$But as far as I know, if someone quotes me the quote will have equation 2. So it's not great...
Let's test that claim. Edit: yep.

You can even let ##\LaTeX#3 do the numbering: with the line
$$\begin{equation} a=b \\ c = d \end {equation}$$ twice I get:
$$\begin{equation} a=b \\ c = d \end {equation}$$
$$\begin{equation} a=b \\ c = d \end {equation}$$

However, MathJax or latex itself does the numbering per page, so after a few previews, post #4 had the number ##(9)## and post #5 had the number ##(9)##

$$\begin{equation} a=b \\ c = d \\ e=f \end {equation}$$
$$\begin{equation} a=b \\ c = d \\ e=f \end {equation}$$
and twice previewing thispost, this one is at ##(19)## o0) whereas you might see ##(13)## !?
[edit:] nope, ##\it 6## !

...and @BvU's counter continues from mine plus my own quotation of mine. So if you type a response to either of us and, while you're typing, someone else replies, your numbers will be affected and you'll need to adjust your references.

I'd recommend against using the capability - even in the OP, since quotations from it will have different numbers. o0)

Same numbering problem with \begin {align}

@mfb : move to ##LaTeX## forum ?

And perhaps ask the Latexhelp author (who is it ?) to expand on the problem in 'multiple lines' where the \begin { } ... \end{...} environment is mentioned.

Wasn't there a way to restart the automatic numbering ?
seems that \setcounter{equation}{1} is ##\mbox{AMS}\TeX## (##\AMSTeX ##?), not ##\LaTeX##.

In the mean time I found here that \def is admissible, but I didn't find a way to load a set of \def comfortably ... (Phrases I use often but only once per post :cool: )
and it doesn't like BB code - understandably

(thinking of \def\PFg{PF guidelines} :oldgrumpy: )​

I think @fresh_42 uses some key macros and may have a way of preloading \def as well. Let's see what he says.

jim mcnamara said:
I think @fresh_42 uses some key macros and may have a way of preloading \def as well. Let's see what he says.
I use a script (AutoHotkey) which allows me to define my own shortcuts, so I can put long words on a single key. In cases like
BvU said:
Phrases I use often
e.g. in order to type [Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.] I hit Ctrl+>.

Likes jim mcnamara

1. What is the purpose of indexing formulas in Physics Forums?

Indexing formulas in Physics Forums allows for easy organization and referencing of equations and mathematical expressions. It also helps to avoid confusion and ensure accuracy when discussing complex concepts.

2. How do I properly index a formula in a Physics Forums post?

To properly index a formula, you should use the equation editor provided by the forum. This will ensure that the formula is displayed correctly and can be easily referenced by other users. Additionally, you should include a brief description or title for the formula to provide context.

3. Can I use LaTeX to index formulas in Physics Forums?

Yes, LaTeX is a commonly used markup language for mathematical expressions and is fully supported by Physics Forums. You can use LaTeX code to format and index your formulas in posts and replies.

4. Is there a limit to the number of formulas I can index in a single post?

There is no set limit for the number of formulas you can index in a post, but it is recommended to keep the number reasonable and relevant to the topic being discussed. Including too many formulas can make the post difficult to read and understand.

5. How should I refer to indexed formulas in my post?

When referencing an indexed formula in your post, you should use the equation number or title provided by the equation editor. This will allow other users to easily locate and understand which formula you are referring to. You can also use the "quote" function to directly quote the formula in your post.