Induced EMF in Coaxial Loops: Calculating Separation Distance

In summary, the small loop experiences an induced emf of 983nV, while the large loop produces a flux of 200amps/second through it. The small loop is located a small distance away from the large loop, and the separation between the loops in meters is unknown.
Worme
1. A very large loop of metal wire with radius 1meter is driven with a linearly increasing current at a rate of 200amps/second . A very small metal wire loop with radius 5centimeter is positioned a small distance away with its center on the same axis (the loops are coaxial). The small loop experiences an induced emf of 983nV . What is the separation of the loops in meters

Homework Equations

3. I tried to use Biot-Savart law to find the produced B but it is not right because of the increasing current,
Could you explain me the equations to use?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you calculate the flux, ψ, through the small loop some distance away, at say 200A in the large loop, you know dψ/dt through the small loop.

Flux = the integral of B*dx*dy over the surface surrounded by the small loop.

Emf = dψ/dt.

Remember that when the centers of the loops are at som distance, the B-field is not overall perpendicular to a flat surface in the small loop.

Last edited:
Is the magnetic field produced by the large loop B=(muo*I)/(2*pi*r)?

At a specific point: No, not in this case.

You are using Amperes law, that says: The circulation integral: H⋅ds = N*I. (In vacuum B = μ0 * H). So Amperes Law says nothing about the magnetic field at a specific location. But you can use Amperes law under symmetrical conditions, e.g. a long linear conductor. Biot-Savart works fine here.

So you must think out a way of using Biot-Savart (find some symmetri around the centeraxis of the loops): If you have calculated B at a point outside the centeraxis, then all points at the same distance from the axis and same distance from the large loop will have the same perpendicular strength through the small loop.

As all data have physical values (not algebraic) you may develop a program, taking care of a numerical integration using Biot-Savart. ( Don't use excel here, it will never end).

Last edited:
If i use Faraday's law emf induced=-d(phi)/dt i could find B and by using Bior-Savart law on axis of a current loop , i would be abble to find thr separation between the loops?

Yes it was good , thanks a lot Hesch for your help.

Related to Induced EMF in Coaxial Loops: Calculating Separation Distance

1. How is the induced EMF in a coaxial loop calculated?

The induced EMF in a coaxial loop is calculated using the formula E = -N*dΦ/dt, where E is the induced EMF, N is the number of turns in the loop, and dΦ/dt is the rate of change of magnetic flux through the loop.

2. What factors affect the induced EMF in a coaxial loop?

The induced EMF in a coaxial loop is affected by several factors including the number of turns in the loop, the rate of change of magnetic flux, the area of the loop, and the permeability of the material inside the loop.

3. How does the separation distance between the coaxial loops affect the induced EMF?

The induced EMF in a coaxial loop decreases as the separation distance between the loops increases. This is because as the distance increases, the magnetic flux through the loop decreases, resulting in a lower rate of change of flux and thus a lower induced EMF.

4. Can the separation distance between the coaxial loops be too small?

Yes, the separation distance between the coaxial loops can be too small. If the distance is too small, the magnetic flux through the loop can become saturated, resulting in a plateau in the induced EMF. This can also lead to heating and damage to the materials in the loop.

5. How is the induced EMF affected by the direction of the magnetic field?

The direction of the magnetic field can affect the induced EMF in a coaxial loop. If the magnetic field is perpendicular to the plane of the loop, the induced EMF will be at its maximum. However, if the magnetic field is parallel to the plane of the loop, the induced EMF will be zero.