Infimim and supremum proof

In summary: When n=2, 2-(-1)1/4= 5 so 2 is an upper bound on this set. When n>2, there is no upper bound. So inf E is not 0. Thanks, it is late. Woo silly mistakes. How do I prove this result, or is that sufficient? I mean, should I just plug in the typical supremum proof for this result?Thanks by the wayYes, you can prove this from the definition of the supremum and by using the fact that between every two distinct real numbers you can find a rational number.
Hotsuma
Homework Statement

Find the infimum and supremum of each of the following sets; state whether the infimum and supremum belong to the set E.

[tex]
\item 1. ~~~~E={p/q \in \mathbf{Q} | p^2 < 5q^2 \mbox{ and } p,q >0}. \mbox{ Prove your result. }
\item 2. ~~~~E={2-(-1)^n/n^2|n \in \mathbf{N}. \mbox { Just list your answers}.
[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]sup E - \epsilon < a \leq sup E.[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]
\item 1. ~~~~ \mbox{Here I claim the supremum of E is }\frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}, \mbox{ in E, and the infimum of E is 0, which is not in Q}.
\item \mbox{Proof: Assume p, q greater than 0. Then } p^2 < 5q^2 \Leftrightarrow p < \sqrt{5} q \Leftrightarrow s = sup E = p/q = \frac{1}{\sqrt{5}} \mbox{how do I prove the infimum part. Hmm...}
\item 2. ~~~~ \mbox{inf E = 0, sup E = 2 (assume 0 in N). }
[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
p/q < √5, not 1/√5.

Thanks, it is late. Woo silly mistakes. How do I prove this result, or is that sufficient? I mean, should I just plug in the typical supremum proof for this result?

Thanks by the way

Yes, you can prove this from the definition of the supremum and by using the fact that between every two distinct real numbers you can find a rational number.

Hotsuma said:
Homework Statement

Find the infimum and supremum of each of the following sets; state whether the infimum and supremum belong to the set E.

[tex]
\item 1. ~~~~E={p/q \in \mathbf{Q} | p^2 < 5q^2 \mbox{ and } p,q >0}. \mbox{ Prove your result. }
\item 2. ~~~~E={2-(-1)^n/n^2|n \in \mathbf{N}. \mbox { Just list your answers}.
[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]sup E - \epsilon < a \leq sup E.[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]
\item 1. ~~~~ \mbox{Here I claim the supremum of E is }\frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}, \mbox{ in E, and the infimum of E is 0, which is not in Q}[/tex].
You mean [itex]\sqrt{5}[/itex] not, [itex]1/\sqrt{5}[/itex], but, more importantly, [itex]\sqrt{5}[/itex] is NOT in E since it is not a rational number. 0, on the other hand, is in E: take p= 0, q= 1. And it is the infimum because it is a lower bound (there are no negative numbers in E) while for any n, 1/n, is in E (take p= 1, q= n).

[tex]\item \mbox{Proof: Assume p, q greater than 0. Then } p^2 < 5q^2 \Leftrightarrow p < \sqrt{5} q \Leftrightarrow s = sup E = p/q = \frac{1}{\sqrt{5}} \mbox{how do I prove the infimum part. Hmm...}
\item 2. ~~~~ \mbox{inf E = 0, sup E = 2 (assume 0 in N). }
[/tex]
You had better not "assume 0 in N" because then you are dividing by 0 when n=0.

When n= 1, 2-(-1)1/12= 3 so 2 is not an upper bound on this set.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the definition of Infimum and Supremum?

The Infimum and Supremum are both important concepts in mathematical analysis that refer to the smallest and largest possible limits of a set of numbers or values.

2. How do you prove the existence of Infimum and Supremum?

To prove the existence of Infimum and Supremum, you must use the completeness property of real numbers. This means that every non-empty set of real numbers that is bounded above or below has a least upper bound (Supremum) and a greatest lower bound (Infimum).

3. What is the difference between Infimum and Supremum?

The main difference between Infimum and Supremum is that Infimum is the greatest lower bound of a set of numbers, while Supremum is the smallest upper bound of a set of numbers.

4. Can a set have more than one Infimum or Supremum?

No, a set can have only one Infimum and one Supremum. This is because they are unique values that are determined by the properties of the set and the completeness property of real numbers.

5. How do you use Infimum and Supremum in mathematical proofs?

Infimum and Supremum are often used in proofs to show the existence or non-existence of a limit or to establish the convergence of a sequence. They are also used to prove the monotonicity of a function or to find the maximum or minimum value of a function.