Infinite Parallel wires Magnetic field

In summary, when two long parallel wires carrying a current of 5.0A directed to the east are separated by 8cm, the magnitude of the magnetic field at a point that is 5.0 cm from each wire can be found by adding the magnetic fields of each wire as vectors, with the angles being negative and positive to account for symmetry. The value of μ, the permeability of free space, is a constant and does not need to be solved for.
Funnynick

Homework Statement

Two long parallel wires each carry a current of 5.0A directed to the east. The two wires are separated by 8c.m. What is the magnitude of the magnetic field at the point that is 5.0 cm from each of the wires.

Homework Equations

B= [itex]\frac{μI}{2∏R}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the equations and how to work a simple problem. The question i need answered is how do i find the magnetic field 5 cm away from each wire when they are separated by 8 cm.? so i set one wire UI/2∏(.5) to get the first wire magnetic field, but i need to find the other wire at the same point so its going to be either UI/ 2∏(.13) or UI/2∏(.03). Or am i completely wrong any help would be awesome.oh and I am not sure if ∏ is the pi symbol but that is what i used it for.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to find the points that are 5 cm from both wires. Hint: Draw two circles and see where they intersect.

(You can also use a lower case for π.)

So when i draw the two circles i am getting intersects of the 2 B-fields from each wire at 4 cm in between them at 2 points, is that correct?>

So i calculated for the 4cm radius and multiply my result B by 2? to get the magnetic field between the two wires at 5 cm from each wire? i am Confused sorry

Funnynick said:
So when i draw the two circles i am getting intersects of the 2 B-fields from each wire at 4 cm in between them at 2 points, is that correct?>
Yes.
So i calculated for the 4cm radius
No, the radius about each wire is 5 cm.
and multiply my result B by 2?
No, you have to add the fields like vectors.

Draw a diagram and show the direction of the vectors. Then you can add them properly.

if i just do [itex]\frac{μ(5)}{2∏(.04)}[/itex] it gives me 25Micro tesla and the answer is 24 micro tesla so what am i missing i have to subtract something tiny

Last edited:
Funnynick said:
if i just do [itex]\frac{μ(5)}{2∏(.04)}[/itex] it gives me 25Micro tesla and the answer is 24 micro tesla so what am i missing i have to subtract something tiny
For one thing, you are using r = 0.04 instead of 0.05 like you should be using.

what is μ in this equation then? If the answer is 24 i solved for μ and got 15.2793 and that doesn't sound right, how do you come up with the charge?

Last edited:
StrawHatGary said:
what is μ in this equation then? If the answer is 24 i solved for μ and got 15.2793 and that doesn't sound right, how do you come up with the charge?
μ is the permeability of free space. It's a constant, not something you solve for. See: Magnetic Field of Current

Old question, but why don't the two wire's magnetic fields cancel each other out? The way I pictured it they cancel each other out by symmetry. When calculating the components of each magnetic field vector produced by each wire, if I make the angle negative in one case and positive in the other, I get the correct answer. Why does the angle become negative? Picture is of my drawing, I made the upper angle positive and the lower angle negative.
EDIT1: Don't know why the picture isn't showing up but its just of the problem.
EDIT2: Ok nevermind I figured out why one of the angles is positive and the other is negative.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=7f5efe1f9c&view=fimg&th=158eb73c61b1ab14&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&attbid=ANGjdJ81T8_js0QWyNdksPFwEkfX1N3_4iu1y6LAfTJnCP786Q1b0VCRtbhDva7iKX7xvBgiYEq24E6B4ytZWroQfj1MxIGQzo_Wp-ZKvwGypuiaiJsL-bjbbXYwUEE&ats=1481419116210&rm=158eb73c61b1ab14&zw&sz=w1920-h1012

Last edited:

Related to Infinite Parallel wires Magnetic field

1. What is the concept of an infinite parallel wires magnetic field?

The concept of an infinite parallel wires magnetic field refers to the magnetic field created by an infinite number of parallel wires placed side by side. This field is often studied in physics and engineering to understand the behavior of magnetic fields in a simplified and idealized scenario.

2. How is the magnetic field strength calculated for infinite parallel wires?

The magnetic field strength for infinite parallel wires can be calculated using the Biot-Savart law, which takes into account the current flowing through each wire, the distance between the wires, and the angle between the wire and the point where the magnetic field is being measured.

3. What is the direction of the magnetic field for infinite parallel wires?

The direction of the magnetic field for infinite parallel wires is perpendicular to the wires and follows the right-hand rule. This means that if you point your thumb in the direction of the current flowing through the wire, your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

4. How does the distance between the wires affect the magnetic field strength?

The distance between the wires has an inverse relationship with the magnetic field strength. This means that as the distance between the wires increases, the magnetic field strength decreases. This relationship is described by the inverse square law, where the magnetic field strength is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the wires.

5. What practical applications does the concept of infinite parallel wires magnetic field have?

The concept of infinite parallel wires magnetic field has various practical applications, such as in the design of magnetic sensors, electromagnets, and particle accelerators. It is also used in the study of electromagnetic induction and can help in understanding the behavior of magnetic fields in more complex systems.