Infinite Universes: The Science & Limits of the Theory

In summary, the popular press is reporting on theories that posit the existence of an "infinite number of universes" with laws of physics different from our own, but does not report on any bounding conditions that might exist. This raises the question of why such a bounding condition is not present in any of the reported theories.
Redblue88
TL;DR Summary
For example - https://www.theguardian.com/science/across-the-universe/2017/may/17/multiverse-have-astronomers-found-evidence-of-parallel-universes . The explanation of infinite universes sounds bonkers. What's missing?
I've read in several places that some cosmological theories posit the existence of an "infinite number of universes" with laws of physics different from our own. I'm sure there's a lot of shortcutting in the reporting and "infinite" can't really mean infinite, can it? Wouldn't an infinite number of universes with laws of physics untied to our own necessarily prove itself?

Here's what I mean (and I know I'm wrong, I just want to know why): truly infinite universes would suggest there's at least one universe capable of communicating with all other universes, and in a manner that the receiving universes would be capable of knowing what they were receiving. Doesn't the absence of such a signal in our universe prove that an "infinite number of universes" don't exist? Do the theories contain bounding conditions that just aren't reported? I can think of other consequences of an "infinite" number of universes, but they all sound more like science-fiction stories than science. I've read the "Mulitiverse" article in Wikipedia, so I know there are other multiple universe theories that are bounded, but this doesn't explain how a true "infinite number" theory works. Thanks.

Space news on Phys.org
Redblue88 said:
truly infinite universes would suggest there's at least one universe capable of communicating with all other universes, and in a manner that the receiving universes would be capable of knowing what they were receiving

Why do you think this?

An infinite number of universes with an infinite number of possible physical laws suggests there must be one universe with physical laws that satisfy the condition. To say otherwise means there is some unspoken (in the popular press) bounding condition, which is what I think is going on. I've just never heard what that bounding condition is and I'm curious as to what it is.

Redblue88 said:
An infinite number of universes with an infinite number of possible physical laws suggests there must be one universe with physical laws that satisfy the condition.

Why?

Redblue88 said:
I've read in several places

Are any of them textbooks or peer-reviewed papers?

PeterDonis said:
Are any of them textbooks or peer-reviewed papers?
Please re-read the title of the post - I'm asking for what the popular press is leaving out (I provided a link and wikipedia entry as examples). As a lay person, I may not have access to the textbook or peer-reviewed article with the answer.

I can't find anything for the proposition that if there are an infinite number of universes with an infinite number of possible laws of physics, there's some constraint that prevents what I've postulated in my original question.

Redblue88 said:
An infinite number of universes with an infinite number of possible physical laws suggests there must be one universe with physical laws that satisfy the condition
I don't think that follows. For example, a universe with a different fine structure constant would have different physics. One can posit infinitely many universes with different fine structure constants. That's infinitely many universes, but it isn't obvious that any of them allow the kind of physics you are demanding.

I don't know what constraints there are (and it's almost certainly all speculation anyway), but "infinitely many" doesn't necessarily mean "anything goes".

Likes Bandersnatch, Redblue88 and jbriggs444
If I understand the unspoken reasoning here, it is that "infinitely many universes" means that "every possible universe". But that is not necessarily so. Especially when one is including the properties of the multiverse (connectivity between universes) in the description of a particular member universe.

One can have infinitely many things without having every thing.

Likes Redblue88 and Ibix
This is very helpful and exactly the insight I was looking for. This is the kind of "unspoken" constraint that is missing from what I've seen in the lay press. I assumed it was there, but I've been curious whether it's baked into the theories. Thank you very much @Ibix and @jbriggs444

Redblue88 said:
I'm asking for what the popular press is leaving out

There's no way to answer that unless we have an actual textbook or peer-reviewed paper to compare to. The Guardian article you linked to does not reference any actual textbook or peer-reviewed paper, so we have no idea what "infinite universes" model it is talking about.

Redblue88 said:
As a lay person, I may not have access to the textbook or peer-reviewed article with the answer.

Neither do any of us if we don't know which one it is.

Redblue88 said:
This is the kind of "unspoken" constraint that is missing from what I've seen in the lay press. I assumed it was there, but I've been curious whether it's baked into the theories.

And the answers that @Ibix and @jbriggs444 gave you do not tell you whether it is or not. They're not telling you about any actual theoretical model. They're just guessing about what some hypothetical model might say. We can't possibly say anything about any actual theoretical model if we don't have any reference to one.

Likes Ibix
Since no valid reference has been provided, this thread is closed.

1. What is the theory of infinite universes?

The theory of infinite universes, also known as the multiverse theory, proposes that there are an infinite number of parallel universes that exist alongside our own. These universes may have different physical laws, constants, and even versions of ourselves.

2. Is there any evidence to support the theory of infinite universes?

While there is currently no direct evidence to support the existence of infinite universes, the theory is based on mathematical and scientific principles such as quantum mechanics and the theory of relativity. Additionally, some experiments, such as the double-slit experiment, suggest the possibility of multiple universes.

3. What are the limitations of the theory of infinite universes?

One limitation of the theory is that it is currently untestable and therefore cannot be proven or disproven. It also raises philosophical questions about the nature of reality and the concept of causality. Furthermore, the existence of infinite universes may require a level of complexity and fine-tuning that is not yet fully understood.

4. How does the theory of infinite universes impact our understanding of the universe?

The theory of infinite universes challenges traditional ideas about the uniqueness and specialness of our own universe. It also offers potential explanations for phenomena that cannot be explained by current scientific theories, such as the existence of dark matter and the origin of the universe.

5. Are there any practical implications of the theory of infinite universes?

While the theory of infinite universes may seem abstract and purely theoretical, it has practical implications for fields such as cosmology and quantum mechanics. It also has implications for how we view our place in the universe and our understanding of the fundamental laws of nature.