Infinite well with one wall

In summary, An electron is trapped in a 1D potential with V(x) = 0 if x < R0 and V(x) = infinity if x > R0. The electron is in its lowest energy state and <x> = 0.5R0. The boundary condition at x = 0 is used to solve for B, yielding a condition of Asin(kR0) - Atan(kR0) cos(kR0) = 0. However, this only holds true if there is another barrier at x = 0. With the corrected boundary condition, the question is solved more accurately.
DevonV

Homework Statement

An electron is trapped in a 1D potential described by:

V(x) = 0 if x < R0
V(x) = infinity if x > R0

Electron is in lowest energy state, and experiment shows that:
(\Delta)x = sqrt(<x2> - <x>2) = 0.181 x 10-10

Show that <x> = 0.5R0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by treating it like an infinite well, with:
(\psi)(x) = Asin(kx) + Bcos(kx)

and applying the boundary conditions as usual, however in this case there is only one (at R0):

(\psi)(R0) = Asin(kR0) + Bcos(kR0) = 0

Normally the BC at x = 0 eliminates the Bcos(kx), but that doesn't exist in this case.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

(PS. sorry for bad formatting, latex was being extremely uncooperative)

Physics news on Phys.org
DevonV said:
Normally the BC at x = 0 eliminates the Bcos(kx), but that doesn't exist in this case.

You can use your boundary condition to solve for B. Then you can rescale A and use a trig identity to simplify the wavefunction.

Thanks for the reply!

I solved for B, yielding -Atan(kRo), and subbing that back into the BC equation gave me the condition:

Asin(kR0) -Atan(kR0) = 0

which i think is only true for:

k = n(\pi)R0

However in order to normalize this and find A, I need to integrate from -infinity to R0 right? Which isn't going to work out well for a trig function, so I must have done something wrong.

Anyone give me another nudge in the right direction?

Thanks!

DevonV said:
Thanks for the reply!

I solved for B, yielding -Atan(kRo), and subbing that back into the BC equation gave me the condition:

Asin(kR0) -Atan(kR0) = 0

which i think is only true for:

k = n(\pi)R0

If you substitute back into the boundary condition, you should find

Asin(kR0) -Atan(kR0) cos(kR0) =0

which is automatically true, since you're just going in circles.

However in order to normalize this and find A, I need to integrate from -infinity to R0 right? Which isn't going to work out well for a trig function, so I must have done something wrong.

Anyone give me another nudge in the right direction?

Thanks!

Are you sure it's just a one-sided barrier? If it is, there's a continuous spectrum and the question doesn't make any sense. There is no lowest-energy state and [tex]\langle x\rangle[/tex] is not defined. [tex]\langle x\rangle = R_0/2[/tex] would be correct if there's another barrier at [tex]x=0.[/tex]

Thanks again for the help!

Using a BC of (\psi)(0) = 0 the question works out much better. I found one mistake in the question, and I'm guessing another was made and that it was intended to be a 1D version of a radial problem, given the notation of R0 which was only used for those types of questions, and the implied BC at x = 0.

Thanks again!

1. What is an infinite well with one wall?

An infinite well with one wall is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of particles confined to a finite region of space.

2. How does an infinite well with one wall work?

In this model, the particle is assumed to have infinite potential energy outside of the well and zero potential energy inside the well. The single wall acts as a boundary, confining the particle to a finite region.

3. What are the implications of an infinite well with one wall?

The infinite well with one wall model helps to explain the quantization of energy levels in a confined system. It also provides insights into the behavior of particles in other confined systems, such as atoms and molecules.

4. How is an infinite well with one wall different from a two-wall well?

An infinite well with one wall has a single boundary, while a two-wall well has two boundaries. This leads to different energy levels and wave functions for the particle in each type of well.

5. What practical applications does the infinite well with one wall have?

The infinite well with one wall is an important concept in quantum mechanics and has many applications in understanding the behavior of particles in confined systems. It is also used in the development of technologies such as quantum computing and nanotechnology.