Instantaneous center of velocity for a inverted slider crank

In summary, the equation given suggests there are 6 instantaneous centers in the linkage, but it is unclear how there are 4 links when 2 and 3 are welded together. The diagram shows a solid disk (represented by 2) which pivots eccentrically and a black hoop which can slide around the disk. It is unclear how the black bar (connected to the block numbered 4) is connected to the rest of the linkage. This creates ambiguity in the number of pivot points and links in the system.
yugeci

Homework Statement

[/B]
Find the instantaneous centers of the linkage below.

upload_2015-11-1_18-14-26.png

Homework Equations

# of ICs = n(n-1) / 2

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
From the equation above, there are 4(4-1)/2 = 6 ICs in this linkage. But one thing I don't understand is how there are 4 links when 2 and 3 are welded together to make one piece? And how is the IC of point 2,3 at the center of the circle?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand the diagram. I'm guessing 2 represents a solid disk which pivots eccentrically about a point near its base, while the black hoop is free to slide around the disk. But as you say, the black hoop is rigidly connected to the black bar. How is the black bar connected to the block numbered 4? That looks rigid too, so I only see three pivot points, so only two links. Or can it slide through the block?

What is the instantaneous center of velocity for an inverted slider crank?

The instantaneous center of velocity is the point on a mechanism where the velocity of any point on the mechanism is zero at a given instant of time. In an inverted slider crank, this point is located at the intersection of the connecting rod and the line extended from the slider's path of motion.

Why is the instantaneous center of velocity important in a mechanism?

The instantaneous center of velocity helps to determine the direction and magnitude of the velocities of different points on the mechanism. This can be useful in analyzing and designing mechanisms for specific purposes.

How can the instantaneous center of velocity be calculated for an inverted slider crank?

The instantaneous center of velocity can be calculated by drawing a velocity diagram for the mechanism and locating the intersection point of the velocities of the slider and connecting rod. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using mathematical equations based on the geometry of the mechanism.

What factors can affect the position of the instantaneous center of velocity in an inverted slider crank?

The position of the instantaneous center of velocity can be affected by the length of the connecting rod and the angle of rotation of the crank. It can also be influenced by the speed and direction of motion of the slider.

How is the instantaneous center of velocity different from the instantaneous center of rotation?

While the instantaneous center of velocity is a point where the velocity of a point on the mechanism is zero, the instantaneous center of rotation is a point where the velocity of any point on the mechanism is purely rotational. In most cases, these two points may not coincide, except in special cases such as pure rolling motion.