Instantaneous velocity in one dimension

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of calculating instantaneous velocity from a graph and the equation used for it. The participants also mention using the slope of a tangent line and providing a picture for clarification. Finally, they confirm understanding and express gratitude for the help.
RuthlessTB
I started recently to study physics for motions, it is interesting so far but sadly I need some basic knowledge in calculus, I can get the Instantaneous velocity if the question gave me a function of time, but I don't know how to get it from a graph.
I used the equation of calculating average velocity but I think it is wrong.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349015665.530667.jpg

Can somebody explain to me how to calculate Instantaneous velocity from a graph?
I attached a picture, so someone can explain to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
So inst. vel is obviously the derivative of the function at a point in time, let's call that point P. In other words, the slope of tangent at the point P.

Now if we have two points, draw a line between the two; let's call them A and B and calculate the slope between them.

remember your time 't' corresponds to the x-axis so they've already given you half of each point, just read up the grid lines on y-axis to find your distance 'x'.

Post back if you need more help mate.
_______

Some equations to note down:

(y2-y1)/(x2-x1)

Last edited:
RuthlessTB said:
I started recently to study physics for motions, it is interesting so far but sadly I need some basic knowledge in calculus, I can get the Instantaneous velocity if the question gave me a function of time, but I don't know how to get it from a graph.
I used the equation of calculating average velocity but I think it is wrong.
View attachment 51341

Can somebody explain to me how to calculate Instantaneous velocity from a graph?
I attached a picture, so someone can explain to me.

This one belongs in the homework section, I think. No problem, a moderator will move it over there. But seeing as it's here now...

You might want to consider the straight line that is also drawn on the graph in the problem from the book. Clearly I can draw a line like that, tangent to and just barely kissing the curve, at each point on the curve. What is the physical significance of these lines?

So, for example if I want the instantaneous velocity at t=2.5

I make an imaginary line to make it looks like a tangent, and then in order to calculate the slope, it is x/t?
V.ins at t=2.5 is
Slope=x/t || 4/2.5= 1.6 m/s
Is that right?

Sorry, my English not that good and this is what I understood.

basically that's it ~ x/t = rise/run if that helps.

in the case of the question in the picture, you'd do the same thing using TWO points but you'd use the equation I gave in my last post ~ (y2-y1)/(x2-x1)

Yeah I finally got it now, thanks a lot bro :)

you sure it's all good?

no worries mate.

Related to Instantaneous velocity in one dimension

What is instantaneous velocity in one dimension?

Instantaneous velocity is the rate of change of an object's displacement over time at a specific moment in time. It is a measure of how fast an object is moving and in what direction.

How is instantaneous velocity different from average velocity?

Average velocity is calculated by dividing the total displacement of an object by the total time it took to make that displacement. Instantaneous velocity, on the other hand, is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time, which can vary from its average velocity.

How is instantaneous velocity calculated?

Instantaneous velocity can be calculated by taking the derivative of an object's position function with respect to time. This means finding the slope of the position-time graph at a specific point in time.

What is the difference between instantaneous velocity and instantaneous speed?

Instantaneous speed is the magnitude of instantaneous velocity, meaning it only takes into account the magnitude or size of the velocity and not its direction. Instantaneous velocity, on the other hand, includes both the magnitude and direction of an object's velocity.

Why is instantaneous velocity important in physics?

Instantaneous velocity is a fundamental concept in physics as it helps describe the motion of objects in one dimension. It allows us to calculate an object's acceleration, which is crucial in determining the forces acting on an object and predicting its future motion.