Integral of a hyperbolic function

I do not respond or reply to questions. I only provide a summary of the content. In summary, the conversation discusses strategies for finding the integral of tanh. It is suggested to use the definition of tanh and split the fraction into two simpler integrals. Another hint is given, suggesting the use of a substitution similar to the integral of tan x. It is noted that sines and cosines cannot be expressed in terms of real exponential functions, but that the two integrals suggested (with e^x and e^-x) are correct for the integral of tanh.
Karol

Homework Statement

$$\int \tanh=?$$

Homework Equations

$$\cosh^2-\sinh^2=1$$
$$(\tanh)'={\rm sech}^2=\frac{1}{\cosh^2},~~(\coth)'=-{\rm csch}^2=-\frac{1}{\sinh^2}$$
$$({\rm sech})'=\left( \frac{1}{\cosh} \right)'=-{\rm sech}\cdot\tanh=-\frac{\sinh}{{\rm cosh}^2}$$
$$({\rm csch})'=\left( \frac{1}{\sinh}\right)'=-{\rm csch}\cdot\coth=-\frac{\rm cosh}{\sinh^2}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

$$\int \tanh=\int \frac{\sinh}{\sqrt{1+\sinh^2}}$$
That's as far as i can go

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, you can start with the definition ##\tanh(x)=\frac{\sinh{x}}{\cosh{x}}=\frac{e^{x}-e^{-x}}{e^{x}+e^{-x}}## , if you split the fraction you have two integral simpler ...

Karol said:

The Attempt at a Solution

$$\int \tanh=\int \frac{\sinh}{\sqrt{1+\sinh^2}}$$
That's as far as i can go

Hint: perhaps you went too far!

Analogously to cos and sin but even simpler, cosh and sinh are each other's derivatives. :oldwink:

Another hint: Do you know how to integrate$$\int \tan x~dx = \int \frac {\sin x}{\cos x}~dx\text{ ?}$$Same idea works.
[Edit:]epenguin must type faster than me.

LCKurtz said:
Do you know how to integrate$$\int \tan x~dx = \int \frac {\sin x}{\cos x}~dx\text{ ?}$$Same idea works.
No, i don't know to integrate that either, i am ashamed to say. if it were to derive ##\frac{\sinh}{\cosh}## then yes. maybe you mean:
$$\int \tan x~dx = \int \frac {\sin x}{\cos x}~dx=\int\frac{e^x}{e^x+e^{-x}}-\int\frac{e^{-x}}{e^x+e^{-x}}$$
But i don't know that. i don't want to use integral tables.

Karol said:
No, i don't know to integrate that either, i am ashamed to say. if it were to derive ##\frac{\sinh}{\cosh}## then yes. maybe you mean:
$$\int \tan x~dx = \int \frac {\sin x}{\cos x}~dx=\int\frac{e^x}{e^x+e^{-x}}-\int\frac{e^{-x}}{e^x+e^{-x}}$$
But i don't know that. i don't want to use integral tables.

What about, in general? ##\int \frac{f'}{f}##

Likes Ssnow
Karol said:
No, I certainly didn't mean that. Sines and cosines can't be expressed as real exponentials. Try the "obvious" u-substitution.

@Karol remember that ##sin{x}## and ##cos{x}## cannot be wrote in terms of real exponential function ##e^{x}##, only ##\sinh{x}## and ##cosh{x}## ... in any way the two integrals you wrote with ##e^{x}## and ##e^{-x}## are correct for the ##\tanh{x}## and performing a strategic substitution you can solve the problem ...

1. What is the definition of the integral of a hyperbolic function?

The integral of a hyperbolic function is a mathematical operation that is used to find the area under the curve of a hyperbolic function. It is similar to finding the area under the curve of a regular function, but with a different mathematical formula.

2. How is the integral of a hyperbolic function different from the integral of a regular function?

The integral of a hyperbolic function uses a different formula and has different properties compared to the integral of a regular function. It involves hyperbolic trigonometric functions such as sinh, cosh, and tanh, while the integral of a regular function uses standard trigonometric functions.

3. What is the process for finding the integral of a hyperbolic function?

The process for finding the integral of a hyperbolic function involves using integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. It is important to also apply the appropriate hyperbolic trigonometric identities to simplify the integral before solving it.

4. Can the integral of a hyperbolic function be solved using software or must it be done by hand?

The integral of a hyperbolic function can be solved using mathematical software such as Wolfram Alpha or by hand using integration techniques. However, in some cases, the integral may not have an analytic solution and would require numerical methods to approximate the integral.

5. How is the integral of a hyperbolic function used in real-world applications?

The integral of a hyperbolic function has many real-world applications, including in physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to calculate the work done by a variable force, the center of mass of a hyperbolic curve, and the solution to differential equations involving hyperbolic functions.